News   Apr 25, 2024
 177     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Time for a tunnel to airport island?

Originally Posted by Northern Light
To begin with, clearly the airport is not popular amongst the downtown community.

This is probably a matter of personal opinion, not universal agreement. I live downtown and will only use Porter and the Island Airport for travel. It is amazing and oh so easy to access.

Originally Posted by catcher of cats
A few days ago I received a survey call concerning my opinion of the Waterfront Toronto, TPA, the island airport, porter, a bridge, a tunnel, and the ferry. I had a lot to say.

What questions did they ask? Had I been asked about a tunnel, bridge, etc I'd recommend a street-car and pedestrian only bridge (with allowance for emergency vehicles).

Pearson is in mississauga not etobicoke.
A slither of Pearson is in Etobicoke. I'm citing Etobicoke to make the point that (part of) it is in the same city as "Toronto", the same situation as JFK and LGA both being in Queens within New York City.

>>>I see a lot of people there actually every time I visited Central Park when I go to NYC.<<<

More people than you would see if you went to LaGuardia or JFK?
Do you go jog/bike on LGA's runways, or take your dog on a walk at JFK's terminals?

He's simply rebutting the MAF's lie that few people visit this "underutilized asset" and that it's a "squandering" of prime real estate.

The Central Park airport idea is probably a joke. There's no way that's a serious idea. If they were to pave over every square inch of Central Park, they would still have less area then JFK and their absolute runway length would be shorter as well. And all that does not even include the really important issue of obstacle clearance. Airports usually include in their area the land at the end of the runway over which the airplane flies till an altitude of 50 feet. For commercial aviation its usually higher than that. Yet even a 250 ft obstacle clearance height would not be enough for operating in and out of central Manhattan. So all in all, it's not a practical idea.

What New York could do with though is have an airport built on infill in the Hudson River or on the northern ends of the East River. It would be just like Washington Reagan. And it might actually be safer than La Guardia or JFK with departures over the city.

Some of the richest people in the world have window views of Central Park. They wouldn't even need to lobby against an airport; a few phone calls would quash it.

It's their website that had me going at first. It's really well done with some renderings and whatnot. They also had a lot of spin in their articles which made it walk the line between realistic and ridiculous really well. I sent the link to the website to my friends at Porter suggesting that if someone upstairs saw it they'd begin salivating instantly.

Why not build a tunnel or bridge from the east side channel?:confused: At least Torontonians (as Miller says) and visitors would still enjoy the islands during these major strikes.

toronto_islands1.gif

Last edited:
Why not build a tunnel or bridge from the east side channel?:confused: At least Torontonians (as Miller says) and visitors would still enjoy the islands during these major strikes.

A tunnel to the airport ends at the airport. They're not exactly going to put up a crosswalk on the runway or in a tunnel just under the surface of the runway without clearing security (bomb threats and all that).

You can enjoy the islands today. Hop the Ferry to the airport and explore the checkin counters :)

toronto_islands1.gif

With a new light rail vehicle maintenance and storage facility coming the the eastern harbour area, I can see a streetcar line being extended along Unwin Avenue that would eventually go into a tunnel under the eastern gap and come up on the island to serve Ward's Island, Centre Island, and Hanlan's Point. It would provide better service than the ferries, and then we only have to worry should the TTC go on strike.

With a new light rail vehicle maintenance and storage facility coming the the eastern harbour area, I can see a streetcar line being extended along Unwin Avenue that would eventually go into a tunnel under the eastern gap and come up on the island to serve Ward's Island, Centre Island, and Hanlan's Point. It would provide better service than the ferries, and then we only have to worry should the TTC go on strike.

I have to strongly disagree with this idea. It would permanently be a white elephant line with high cost, long travel time, and no riders. 25 years or more from now, maybe it will be possible.

And, really--do you think the WardsAlgonquiners would approve an Eastern gap tunnel connection?

We'll have to find Moses to hire him. And with Unions and stuff, his salary might command more than the cost to build the tunnel/bridge to the island.

Back