News   Jul 05, 2024
 3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 701     0 

The world's most liveable cities—Toronto #15, Vancouver #4

I haven't been to that many places but Vancouver is one of them and since I went last summer, I've been saying that if I had been raised anywhere other than Toronto, I'd move to Van City.

So not over-hyped!

Or, at least, may I ask, why you think so?

Well, you didn't ask me, but since I agree that Vancouver is the most over-hyped city on the planet, I guess I'll respond.

First off, let me point out that while I now live in Toronto, I am a western Canadian and proud of it! I have also traveled this country upside down and sideways several times, staying in small towns and big cities across the land - even treeplanted for a summer in the Shuswap Lakes area. I have also lived in various places across the US (New York, Los Angeles, Dallas, and Santa Fe), as well as driving to every state (although I somehow missed Montana) and doing the same small town thing.

The thing is, when it comes to anything that makes living worthwhile, Vancouver simply doesn't cut it. To visit, AWESOME, but as soon as that week has gone by and you start to settle in, the illusion vanishes.

It's cultural life isn't just Toronto on a small scale, it's smaller than Winnipeg's and yet it's a city 3 times the size. Winnipeg also has a symphony, Royal Ballet, a much larger music/theatre scene, bigger Jazz, New Music and Fringe Fest's, the list could go on. Toronto's culture in all categories is exponentially more sophisticated, well established, well supported, well attended and larger.

But it's not just the culture. The bar scene is small, ditto with clubs, restaurants, etc. There are some cool places, for sure, but with the exception of Yaletown and Commercial Drive, there's almost no downtown to even speak of at night. Plus, trying to get a latte at starbucks in under 15 minutes is difficult.

It's true that when it comes to the outdoors, Vancouver is geographically stunning, but with the exception of mountain climbing and skiing, anything you can do in Vancouver you can do in Toronto - we're also a waterfront city. Any type of fishing, boating, watersports, you name it. You can also skate and play hockey outside in Toronto's winter - something you can't do in Vancouver.

Vancouver is near nowhere and very isolated with the exception of Seattle. Toronto is an hour flight from 100 million people, lots more culture in NYC, Boston, Philly (even the DIA is awesome), and tons of skiing and mountain climbing (although not as good as Van's). Travel down south during the winter is also extremely affordable in Toronto as it's a gateway for Caribbean vacations.

When it comes to affordability, Vancouver is brutal. Groceries are almost double and buying a home is 150% more expensive. Ditto for electronics, furniture, automobiles and gasoline.

But the thing I was most surprised, horrified, and disappointed about in Vancouver - and I say this with the complete understanding that it's a generalization (but one that has been confirmed by many other travelers to Vancouver that I've spoken to over the past 5 years) - is the people. It is by far, the most shallow, superficial and inhospitable place I've lived in, with the exception of Los Angeles - and that's what it reminded me of. The whole granola culture is a facade, people are, on average, unfriendly, and god forbid they hear you've even been to Toronto because if they do, regardless of whether they've ever set foot here themselves, you will never hear the end of what a horrible place it is. It has the mindset of a small town and narrow mindedness prevails on every corner. Plus, it has the meanest homeless population I've ever encountered - my god, by comparison, the homeless people in Toronto are well mannered aesthetes.

Finally, no matter what you think, Vancouver is not an ethnically diverse city. In 6 months of living there, I saw 7 people who were of colour and NOT white or asian. 7. Stunning. There are none of the fabulous ethnic festivals that dot many other Canadian Cities and certainly none on par with the ridiculously multicultural city that Toronto is.

Now, I don't think that Toronto is the be all and end all, or that Vancouver is completely full of jerks, but any survey that puts Vancouver higher needs to be dismissed outright.

Last edited:
It's cultural life isn't just Toronto on a small scale, it's smaller than Winnipeg's and yet it's a city 3 times the size. Toronto's culture in all categories is exponentially more sophisticated, well established, well supported, well attended and larger.

Again, your comparing Toronto (pop.2.5million) to Vancouver (pop.600K). Does that make sense?

Furthermore, Vancouver's cultural/festival scene is MUCH larger than Winnipeg. I would place it just behind Toronto (Montreal being #1).

Here's a sampling I found of Vancouver's festivals/events this year.
Sure seems like there's nothing to do there (ethnic or otherwise)!

Vancouver International Mountain Film Festival
Vancouver Playhouse International Wine Festival
Vancouver International Jewish Film Festival
Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival
Vancouver International Marathon
Vancouver International Dance Festival
Vancouver International Children's Festival
Vancouver Shakespeare Festival, Bard on the Beach
Vancouver International Jazz Festival
Vancouver Queer Film Festival
Vancouver Folk Music Festival
Vancouver International Boat Show
Vancouver International Comedy Festival
Vancouver International Fringe Festival
Vancouver Pride Festival
Vancouver Lantern Festival
Vancouver International Film Festival
Vancouver International Writers Festival
Vancouver Early Music Festival
Vancouver Chinatown Festival
Vancouver International Bhangra Festival
Vancouver Fringe Festival
Vancouver International Writers & Readers Festival
Vancouver International Alcan Dragon Boat Festival
Vancouver Asian Film Festival
Vancouver International Documentary Festival
Annual Hellenic Cultural Extravaganza
explorASIAN Festival
DOXA Documentary Film Festival
Up in the Air Theatre
In The House Festival
Le Centre Culturel Francophone de Vancouver
BMO Bank of Montreal Vancouver Marathon
Cirque du Soleil - Corteo
Festival du Bois
Full Circle: First Nations Performance
HSBC Celebration of Light
Scandinavian Midsummer Festival
The Magnetic North Theatre Festival
MusicFest Vancouver
PuSh International Performing Arts Festival
Summer Combustion – Chamber Music Concert Series
Theatre Under the Stars
Festival of Contemporary Dance
Caribbean Days Festival
Greekday on Broadway Festival
Santa Claus Parade
VanDusen Botanical Garden Festival of Lights
Pacific National Exhibition
MusicFest Vancouver
Powell Street Festival
Francophone Summer Festival
Downtown Eastside Film Festival
National Aboriginal Day Festival
CanWest Comedy Fest
Earthsave Canada Taste of Health Food & Lifestyle Festival
Norooz Festival
North American Native Arts Festival
Hopscotch Festival of Scotch, Whiskey and Beer
Chutzpah! Festival
Terry Fox Run
Festival of India
South Asian Festival

Well it's obvious that city excitement (vibrant nightlife, culturally rich, city buzz, etc.) is not a measure. I find this hard to believe because such a factor would raise the standard of living in so many ways: stronger social fabic through culturally rich activities, festivals, events, attractions, etc. It would help build solid communities. Not to mention the fact the economic conditions would be better. How many of those cities listed have low unemployment rates compared to London, NY, or LA? Bathing in canals, green mountains, and tea houses are nice and all, but in reality people follow economic opportunities to survive. If these factors are considered, the listing would look much different.

Again, your comparing Toronto (pop.2.5million) to Vancouver (pop.600K). Does that make sense?

Furthermore, Vancouver's cultural/festival scene is MUCH larger than Winnipeg. I would place it just behind Toronto (Montreal being #1).

Vancouver Pride Festival
explorASIAN Festival
Up in the Air Theatre
In The House Festival
Festival du Bois
MusicFest Vancouver
Theatre Under the Stars
Caribbean Days Festival
Santa Claus Parade
MusicFest Vancouver
Powell Street Festival
CanWest Comedy Fest
Norooz Festival
Chutzpah! Festival
Terry Fox Run
Festival of India
South Asian Festival

Forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong, but none of those seems like a more than regional-calibre event, though I have no doubt many are great. What I think people may be getting at about Vancouver is the lack of anything bigger. I mean, in TO we've got arguably the planet's top film festival, one of the big three or four Pride events, LuminaTO (which is getting a lot of attention here in Europe, btw), Nuit Blanche, the Festival of Authors which is a top-notch if low-key stop on the writers' circuit, etc. Montreal has the jazz, plus Just for Laughs and another Nuit Blanche. Not bad.

According to Monocle magazine (British), as quoted at Metropolis magazine (the original article is not online), Toronto doesn't rank at all in the top 25, though Vancouver and Montreal make an appearance.

1. Zürich
2. Copenhagen
3. Tokyo
4. Munich
5. Helsinki
6. Stockholm
7. Vienna
8. Paris
9. Melbourne
10. Berlin
11. Honolulu
12. Madrid
13. Sydney
14. Vancouver
15. Barcelona
16. Fukuoka
17. Oslo
18. Singapore
19. Montreal
20. Auckland
21. Amsterdam
22. Kyoto
23. Hamburg
24. Geneva
25. Lisbon

Monocle is Tyler Brule's (of Wallpaper Magazine fame) new magazine. We know how much he dislikes Toronto and Ottawa (and maybe most of Canada for that sake). So his list is highly subjective.
One link where his dislike of the city is mentioned:
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...ove-about-toronto-from-bagels-to-beaches.aspx

Last edited:
Someone disliking Toronto isn't really enough to disqualify their opinions on the best cities.

That said, Brule's list is total crap. Its just pretentious douchebaggery masquerading as trendiness.

Last edited:

Vancouver Pride Festival
explorASIAN Festival
Up in the Air Theatre
In The House Festival
Festival du Bois
MusicFest Vancouver
Theatre Under the Stars
Caribbean Days Festival
Santa Claus Parade
MusicFest Vancouver
Powell Street Festival
CanWest Comedy Fest
Norooz Festival
Chutzpah! Festival
Terry Fox Run
Festival of India
South Asian Festival

It wasn't me that was comparing them initially, I was just referring to the lists in the various magazines and yes, they do compare the two cities. That's what this is in response to.

But your list is literally a tally of everything that is going on in Vancouver. If you take out the type of things pretty much every city in Canada has, you end up with this:

In The House Festival
Festival du Bois
Powell Street Festival
Norooz Festival

And all of the above are small potatoes, there's simply no comparison. And while I agree that Montreal used to be #1 with a bullet in terms of festivals, culture, and sheer cool factor - it's still my favourite city in Canada - it's also been surpassed by Toronto over the past 5 years and is now definitely in 2nd place. If you haven't been to Toronto lately and you're coming, let me know and I'd be happy to show you around. The city is the antithesis of what most people in Canada think.

While it's true that Toronto is Canada's cultural heart ( despite what Manacle magazine says ... ), we should be happy to share in the successes that other cities enjoy, since it strengthens the arts in general. I was very impressed by the Vancouver Symphony when they played at RTH in May, for instance. I couldn't figure out who their wonderful first violinist was, since he wasn't shown on their website, but he turns out to be Dale Barltrop - who has just been appointed their new concertmaster. The success of our new opera/ballet house has - apparently - inspired Montrealers to hire the same architects to rebuild one of their performing arts centres to similar high standards. These connections between cities can only be good.

Toronto is the largest employer of cultural industry workers in the country, the third or fourth largest employer of designers on the continent, and our audiences are numerous enough to make us a destination city for a wide range of artists, musicians and entertainers on tour. We've a great network of independant art galleries and a live music scene. Events such as Luminato raise our international profile as a generator of new creative works that tour other countries.

I think that where we're slipping is in the growing economic divide between rich and poor, the homelessness, poverty and general filth of the place; I think there's been a level of comfort with our earlier successes ( the "city that works", or whatever ... ) that masks a transition that's taken place from being new world in our thinking to being somewhat smug and old world - an institution such as the TTC strikes me as one example, but poor municipal/provincial/federal co-operation is a roadblock to getting things done and the crumbling infrastructure is a result.

While I didn't live here for any "earlier successes", I couldn't agree with you more with respect to the growing class divide - although I think it's a national problem and it's well-embedded in most of our major cities.

Canada is a thoroughly urban population in comparison to our southern neighbours and if we don't address this soon, it'll get outta hand. I do have faith in Canadians and we have consistently upheld the good of the whole vs. the good of the individual throughout our history and I think we'll do it again...we've just backtracked over the past 20 years.

Last edited:
Someone disliking Toronto isn't really enough to disqualify their opinions on the best cities.

Well, fair enough, but the fact the Toronto has been consistently included in most "Highest Quality of Life/Most Livable" Cities rankings for many years now, and that Brule completely ignores Toronto, makes it a very subjective and biased ranking, and I choose to ignore it.

I mean, in TO we've got arguably the planet's top film festival, one of the big three or four Pride events, LuminaTO (which is getting a lot of attention here in Europe, btw), Nuit Blanche, the Festival of Authors which is a top-notch if low-key stop on the writers' circuit, etc. Montreal has the jazz, plus Just for Laughs and another Nuit Blanche. Not bad.

I think we can safely say that Cannes is still the top film festival in the world, with Toronto being second, which is quite something to brag in itself.

As for Montreal, I think you missed a few: Francofolies (the largest french music festival in the world, almost as big here as the Jazz fest - but I guess it doen's get much coverage outside the french media); Fantasia, the largest fantastic/horror/cult film festival on the continent; Festival des films sur L'art (Largest film festival dedicated to films about visual arts, architecture and design); Festival des Amériques (one of the largest theatre festival on the continent) and, of course, Montreal en lumière, which was the original inspiration for LuminaTO and is still the largest cultural event being held in Canada during the frigid months of winter.

I think that where we're slipping is in the growing economic divide between rich and poor, the homelessness, poverty and general filth of the place; I think there's been a level of comfort with our earlier successes ( the "city that works", or whatever ... ) that masks a transition that's taken place from being new world in our thinking to being somewhat smug and old world - an institution such as the TTC strikes me as one example, but poor municipal/provincial/federal co-operation is a roadblock to getting things done and the crumbling infrastructure is a result.

That's very true, Shocker. As Toronto gets older and more worldly, it loses some of its New World comfort and slips into a very exciting, albeit very cynical, elite sort of place. This already characterizes established East Coast cities in the US like Boston and New York, where power seems to be in the hands of an ossified ruling class and powerful, mob-like unions.

When I'm not in Toronto, I seem to be living in a Mountain Time zone city in the US or Canada. They're provincial backwaters, for sure, but the people there share a certain pride in their civic institutions and, in return, those institutions work for them. I might be presumptuous, but I think those MTZ cities closely resemble that New World precociousness that Toronto might have embodied in the early 1970s when you came here from England. Now, I wouldn't trade Toronto for Edmonton or New York for Denver, but I wonder sometimes whether we can have it both ways: a responsible citizenry and civic pride AND being a thriving, beehive of a metropolis at the same time. It seems that there's few places in the world that can successfully juggle both.

^
Part of the gulf between between rich/poor, elite/other, ruler/ruled strikes me as contrived. There are income disparities but much of it seems exacerbated by agitators. As an example, the Naomi Kleins of this world stoke these class fires endlessly. There is an entire industry, ironically middle or upper middle class in nature, which claims to represent some kind of underclass against the ruling class. I'm skeptical to what extent there really is a gulf between rich/poor or more a gulf between rich people in The Beaches and rich people in Thornhill. It sometimes seems more like some lame university debate redux than any fundamental change in the City. What defines great cities isn't an absence of division, but the ability to overcome differences and focus on the common good as opposed to beggar they neighbor politics.

Back