News   Jul 31, 2024
 192     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 227     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.4K     5 

The world's most liveable cities—Toronto #15, Vancouver #4

TR, I think you are getting at something I have often thought about in continental Europe, particularly Germany. As spectacular a standard of living as many such places offer, there is something...quotidian about it. It's hard to describe. North American big cities (New York, Toronto, LA, Chicago, Montreal etc.) definitely have a feeling of dynamism that is absent in Europe anywhere except maybe London.

Some cities in Europe (and some cities in NA - such as Boston) exhibit this characteristic, but others don't. I certainly don't think Berlin is lacking in dynamism. And there's plenty of other similarly lively places, both in the western and eastern parts of Europe.

Certainly there are many examples of all kinds of societies in Europe but my point is that there may be some lessons to learn about the positive and negative aspects of a maturing city. As we creep towards a "higher standard" of living on many measureable fronts as compared to shining examples in mature European or Asian cities do we also need to take heed of what we may be loosing in the exchange? The essence of what makes a city great in Canada or the US or Australia or some such country may be the balance of living standard with opportunity.

Let me give you an example to ponder:

Take home renovations. You are allowed and there is an infrastructure and marketplace for you to purchase goods to do home renovations for yourself and others. This is a regulated activity but the popular culture allows for a vast range of work from utterly dodgy and dangerous to expensive perfection. So what if this area was totally regulated and specialized? What impact would this have on society positive and negative? Think about it, because the path we are being lead on in this city on all types of fronts is one towards total regulation and specialization and the impacts will also be positive and negative...more positive maybe for the establishment and more negative for the rest of the population and all newcomers.

Last edited:
Some cities in Europe (and some cities in NA - such as Boston) exhibit this characteristic, but others don't. I certainly don't think Berlin is lacking in dynamism. And there's plenty of other similarly lively places, both in the western and eastern parts of Europe.
Though perhaps Boston is not as lively as New York, I certainly would not consider it quotidian.

Air pollution must have done in most major asian cities (although a few from Japan snuck in). In my limited experience they have vastly superior transportation systems (subway, commuter rail, bus) then North American cities, have virtually zero crime when compared to N.A., have quality schools and good, affordable access to healthcare. Not to mention the countless supermarkets and street vendors selling every kind of fruit and veggie imaginable, there's several on every block it seems.

If those are the measures taken by the survey they I would have to say that a number of large asian cities must destroy Toronto (Japanese, South Korean, Chinese, Singapore etc) except for the sometimes nasty air.

I always find these surveys quite funny.
While I also agree that these surveys are always biased or pointless in one way or another, given the criteria they are based on (stability, environment, factors that tend to point towards a life that is less stressful and "hectic"), I can certainly see why a lot of the Asian cities don't make it to the top of these lists. These Asian cities are fast-paced, high-stressed, cutthroat societies, and Japan, Korea and HK have by far some of the highest suicide rates in the world. HK and Singapore also have among the highest discrepancy between the rich and the poor, worse than even the US and rivalling many of the African and Latin American developing nations.

I don't know about Korea, but HK and Japan are notorious for their crazy housing prices. In HK, a 20/30-year old condo unit in the outer urban core sells for $5000-10000 HKD / sqft (about $750-1500 CAD), and having to pay $4M ($600K CAD) for a 600 sqft unit is pretty much standard. Even for rentals, you have to pay at least $20-25 HKD / sqft ($3-4 CAD) for something decent, like $10K ($1500 CAD) for a 500 sqft unit in the outer urban core, and that doesn't even include utilities. Even a 50 sqft compartment in a 60-yr old apartment that is divided into multiple units with shared bathroom and kitchen can cost as much as $4000 HKD in rent. Certainly not the most "liveable" situation, especially when the average office worker only earns $10-15K a month. And oh, don't forget that Korea and Taiwan's minimum wage is less than $4 CAD, Japan has a slightly more decent $7 (but for Tokyo's cost of living), and HK and Singapore don't even have min wage.

Censorship and human rights issues are very significant in many of these cities, especially Singapore where the governing party has and still imprisons dissidents and sues opposition parties into bankruptcy. HK also doesn't have true democracy or universal suffrage, and large-scale demonstrations are commonplace (so much so that HK had been branded the "Demonstrations Capital of Asia"), with the most significant one being the annual 7/1 demonstrations which attract between 50-500k people (this can certainly be seen as an exercise of democratic rights, but only because actual democratic electoral rights are lacking). Large-scale, violent student demonstrations are also commonplace in Seoul and only became less frequent in recent years. Being in a dormant (S Korea vs N Korea) or perceived (Singapore vs Malaysia) state of war and with mandatory, multiyear military conscription that doesn't allow for conscientious objection also probably don't contribute very favourably to a "liveable" society.

Interesting point about education too. The intense competitiveness and cutthroat nature of education in HK and Japan is legendary. As well, educators throughout Asia had long criticized their own education systems as "Peking-duck style" or "force-feeding" education, where information and "knowledge" is shoved down students' throats and critical thinking skills are never cultivated. It's not a surprise why many East Asian parents send their kids to high schools and universities in North America and Australia, but rarely the other way.

As for healthcare, HK neither has universal healthcare, nor is even health insurance a common practice, let alone being provided by employers. Healthcare is "good" in that if you are sick the quality of the care is comparable to western nations, but you better hope you don't get really sick because you can hardly afford it. Wait-time and overcapacity is also as serious a problem in most major East Asian cities as here.

Last edited:
Though I've got nothing against these surveys, I do find their qualities somewhat odd. Its almost more like a ranking of small towns with rich residents than an overall appraisal of cities. I'm not sure any city in the top 5 even has a pop. over 1 million. If these cities really were so great, it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that many people want to live there. Thats not to say quality of life in Zurich isn't best on earth, just that you would probably live a similar life in the Hamptons, Como or Monaco.

I find Mercer's Infrastructure rankings more interesting, mainly because you can be more objective about that. It also recognizes that the best cities might not, necessarily, be small Euro tax havens.

Also, there isn't a particularly large variance between cities. New York is the baseline score of 100 basis points, while Vienna is only 108.6. Those 8.6 bps contain 49 cities. So, I don't really see the need to be that clinical when the spreads are so small.

^I dunno, I don't think I'm the only one who thinks that being the number one repository of art and architecture from the height of the Italian Rennaisance is worth a little more than high heel shoes.

^I dunno, I don't think I'm the only one who thinks that being the number one repository of art and architecture from the height of the Italian Rennaisance is worth a little more than high heel shoes.

They make shoes for men too.

Italy left me underwhelmed. Maybe I'm just difficult to please. But I will say, Italian men dress to kill.

It seems to me that when someone knows another city is better than their own they resort to saying "well (insert city) is dull".

Very annoying.

The Economist strikes again -- best biz travel cities YVR #1, YYZ #2

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2009/06/vancouver_best_for_business_tr.cfm?Fsrc=glvrnwl

Some of the commentary is hilarious -- apparently, all those Vancouverites do little business at all.

Vancouver did a ton of financial services business in the lead up to HK going back to the Chinese, and still caters to the mobile Chinese community as a place to park some/all of their investable assets. So, beyond stability, decent hotel rooms, etc., etc., I would say you can make a case for YVR being a very international business city -- big port, savvy ex-pat Asian community that knows how to tap into their diaspora and stay-at-homes, and -- yes -- a big natural resources focus.

For we YYZers, I'd say the ex-pat community from Montreal serves the same function... ;-)

Although very beautiful, Vancouver is a cultural backwater which I quickly discovered when I moved there. The pace is maddeningly slow. But they do have fantastic rhododendrons. I might move back when I'm dead.

I don't see how anyone could say Vancouver is a "cultural backwater".

They pretty much have everything we have albeit on a smaller scale. They have a symphony, an opera, ballet, an amazing Jazz festival, Pride festival, film festival and lots of live theather/music/concerts. I was surprised to see how much there was actually when I picked up a local paper.

So curious - what's makes them a cultural backwater compared to us? The only difference I saw in the two is quantity. We're a much bigger city so we obviously have more stuff going on. Just like NYC has more stuff going on than us. Doesn't make Toronto a cultural backwater does it?

Monocle Magazine: Toronto doesn't rank at all

According to Monocle magazine (British), as quoted at Metropolis magazine (the original article is not online), Toronto doesn't rank at all in the top 25, though Vancouver and Montreal make an appearance.

1. Zürich
2. Copenhagen
3. Tokyo
4. Munich
5. Helsinki
6. Stockholm
7. Vienna
8. Paris
9. Melbourne
10. Berlin
11. Honolulu
12. Madrid