News   Jul 22, 2024
 294     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 364     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     0 

The Weather

With the relatively mild weather we've been having lately, would everyone boldly say that the toughest part of this winter is behind us?

I think I shovelled a total of 5 times all winter. I see grass everywhere again and rain in the near term forecast. Am I premature to be already thinking about spring time? :cool:
I bet we'll get more snow. We've had snow in April before, even. We just had a bunch drop on Tuesday. We might not have another large snowfall this winter, but I imagine we'll have a little more yet.

With the relatively mild weather we've been having lately, would everyone boldly say that the toughest part of this winter is behind us?

I think I shovelled a total of 5 times all winter. I see grass everywhere again and rain in the near term forecast. Am I premature to be already thinking about spring time? :cool:
For what it's worth, the coldest three month stretch of the year, based on Toronto statistical averages, runs from about Dec 8-Mar 7. But as far as what will actually happen -- I wouldn't trust any weather forecast longer than a week or maybe two.

Oh how quickly this thread can go from snowstorms to, now, heat waves!

In addition to the drought-like conditions we've been having (I can probably count on one hand how many times it rained 1/2" all day), we've had 11 heat alerts and 4 extreme heat alerts already this season. There has already been 26 days where the temperature has been above 30-deg C and now, we are gearing up for another heat wave of above 30-degrees every day until Saturday!

Reference: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...orst-heat-wave-of-the-summer/article31338915/

These days, we've been keeping our A/C on all night. Granted, we set the temperature to 25 or 25.5 C and the central air system kicks on and off throughout the night. I hate the idea of having to run it overnight but the humidity can become rather uncomfortable. Has everyone else kept their A/C on overnight as well? We typically turn it off during summer nights but this year has been unusually hot!

My family always runs it all night. It makes for a more comfortable sleep. No need to feel guilty about it.

Ours has been on too, which is also unusual for us. I've run the a/c more than ever this year. Can't wait for the hydro bill!

Ours has been on too, which is also unusual for us. I've run the a/c more than ever this year. Can't wait for the hydro bill!

Apparently there are programs to tie AC systems with rooftop solar panels - maybe it should be institutionalized here, esp. given hot days are likely exactly the ones with high solar output.

AoD

Thanks for the responses! I asked a number of other people and many of them have been running their A/C all night as well. I talked to someone yesterday who said they keep it all night at 21-deg C, which seems excessively cool to me. I think our house would feel like a freezer if we had our A/C at 21! The lowest comfortable daytime cooling setpoint temperature for our house is between 23-24 deg C with 24-25 deg C being the preferred range in summer.

Last edited:
There's this article in the Star.

https://www.thestar.com/news/starwe...ing-temperature-was-hotter-than-mumbai-s.html

However these sentences confuse me:

"With a daytime high of 36 C and temperatures actually feeling like 43 C with the humidex, Toronto will feel like Dubai.

In fact, Toronto was hotter at 7 a.m. than both Mumbai (29 C) and Marrakech’s (39 C) on Friday morning, according to the Weather Network."

How would Toronto's temperature be warmer than Marrakech's 39C in the morning if the daytime high was 36C? o_O

Typo, or am I misunderstanding something?

There's this article in the Star.

https://www.thestar.com/news/starwe...ing-temperature-was-hotter-than-mumbai-s.html

However these sentences confuse me:

"With a daytime high of 36 C and temperatures actually feeling like 43 C with the humidex, Toronto will feel like Dubai.

In fact, Toronto was hotter at 7 a.m. than both Mumbai (29 C) and Marrakech’s (39 C) on Friday morning, according to the Weather Network."

How would Toronto's temperature be warmer than Marrakech's 39C in the morning if the daytime high was 36C? o_O

Typo, or am I misunderstanding something?

They're at the low 20s (22-23C) at 7 am their local time - 39 is their local daytime high. Clearly they cited the wrong number.

AoD

They're at the low 20s (22-23C) at 7 am their local time - 39 is their local daytime high. Clearly they cited the wrong number.

AoD

Sounds more reasonable. 39C in the morning would sound terrible. Though there are obviously places on the globe with summer daytime highs averaging in the high 30s and the 40s C, usually they cool off somewhat by night so I think not very many inhabited places in the world have frequent overnight lows in the 30s, let alone having many nights that go into the high 30s; but some cities on the Arabian peninsula can get them.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/hottest-cities-in-the-world.php

Back