News   Apr 18, 2024
 649     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

The Weather

Yes and no regarding Australia. I’m writing this from Paddo, where it’s been pleasant through the heatwave. Sydney’s eastern suburbs benefit from an ocean effect which moderates extreme heat and often provides really nice breezes. And down in Melbourne, they’re playing five set matches in the men’s division with the roof open. True the Murray-Darling system is drying up, but that’s more due to the irrigation demands of cotton farmers enjoying underpriced water than anything else. It’s just fine down here, as usual. Hot, sure, but that’s summer in this country. To misuse the aboriginal slogan, always was and always will be.

I know the climate change narrative says we’re all facing a Mad Max apocalypse where the living will envy the dead. But I would have thought that as Torontonians suffer through a normally horrible, miserable Canadian winter, the prospect of a future temperature profile that looks more or less like Philadelphia’s now would have some appeal.

I sense a lack of heartfelt empathy. ;)
Oh man, yeah sorry. If it’s any consolation I had 57 years of Boston and Toronto winters before I retired. So on the plus side one day you too can live in a warmer climate during the northern winter. Though on the downside you’ll be my age...

Oh man, yeah sorry. If it’s any consolation I had 57 years of Boston and Toronto winters before I retired. So on the plus side one day you too can live in a warmer climate during the northern winter. Though on the downside you’ll be my age...

No worries. I probably am your age or darn close. Besides, nothing wrong with a little gloating. Actually, I don't mind winter and would miss the change of seasons. Now that I'm older I don't find the winter as much 'fun' as I used to, but I'm retired so when it gets like it is now (-27*C outside my window w/o windchill) or driving is bad, I just stay home. Besides, as I get older I find I don't tolerate high heat and humidity like I used to; I find it sucks the soul right out of me.

Apparently it is and has been since December. Here's the NOAA report for the Great Lakes valid yesterday:

https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/data/ice/atlas/glicd/jpgs/2019/20190129.jpg
Either I don't understand this post, or you don't understand the figure. In the figure, the near white areas (that are ice coloured), are the areas with 0% ice (i.e. open water). It's the dark colours that are ice coloured - which means most of Lake Erie and maybe half of Georgian Bay.

Either I don't understand this post, or you don't understand the figure. In the figure, the near white areas (that are ice coloured), are the areas with 0% ice (i.e. open water). It's the dark colours that are ice coloured - which means most of Lake Erie and maybe half of Georgian Bay.

Combining two subjects. Lis was asking about Lake Winnipeg and I found ice reports from another site. The link is for the Great Lakes and you are correct that most are still open except shore-fast ice and some other areas. Lake Erie, Georgian Bay and the North Channel seem to be plugging up.

Did you know that snow "evaporates"? Actually, it's called "sublimation".

Definition:

Sublimation is the transition of a substance directly from the solid to the gas phase, without passing through the intermediate liquid phase. Sublimation is an endothermic process that occurs at temperatures and pressures below a substance's triple point in its phase diagram, which corresponds to the lowest pressure at which the substance can exist as a liquid. The reverse process of sublimation is deposition or desublimation, in which a substance passes directly from a gas to a solid phase. Sublimation has also been used as a generic term to describe a solid-to-gas transition (sublimation) followed by a gas-to-solid transition (deposition). While a transition from liquid to gas is described as evaporation if it occurs below the boiling point of the liquid, and as boiling if it occurs at the boiling point, there is no such distinction within the solid-to-gas transition, which is always described as sublimation.

So that snow is slowly "disappearing", more so on sunny or windy days.

I'm enjoying this winter actually. So far the drive to/from work has been fantastic, especially on days the schools in "Ssauga are closed. And the temperature keeps the roadside beggars away on Richmond and the Jarvis exit on the Gardiner. Suitably dressed and shod, my dog and I enjoy the solitary walks through the neighbourhood, crunching through the snow.

I'm enjoying this winter actually. So far the drive to/from work has been fantastic, especially on days the schools in "Ssauga are closed. And the temperature keeps the roadside beggars away on Richmond and the Jarvis exit on the Gardiner. Suitably dressed and shod, my dog and I enjoy the solitary walks through the neighbourhood, crunching through the snow.

It has been good and bad, good for enjoying walking or doing anything with the snow, and bad for if you are an older person shovelling your driveway ( as they can get get sick easily in the cold weather, as we all know!)

Back