News   Apr 25, 2024
 363     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

The Weather

-30’C tonight, brr... One thing about the cold is it clears the streets of the crazies, like hitting a big reset switch. No one banging on my car’s window when I’m stopped at a light on Richmond and Jarvis to demand money or whatever. No walking between lines of traffic at Lakeshore and Jarvis/Sherbourne/Parliament. Hard winters in Toronto make the city look civilized, just regular folk going about their business.

-30ºC is with the wind chill. Actual low temperature in Toronto (76 metres above sea level) is to reach -23ºC. One degree warmer than the North Pole which is at sea level, -24ºC (with 24 hours of darkness). From link.

BTW. South Pole is at -26ºC with 24 hours of daylight (at 2,700 metres above sea level).

-30ºC is with the wind chill. Actual low temperature in Toronto (76 metres above sea level) is to reach -23ºC. One degree warmer than the North Pole which is at sea level, -24ºC (with 24 hours of darkness). From link.

BTW. South Pole is at -26ºC with 24 hours of daylight (at 2,700 metres above sea level).
Even Santa Claus is more comfortable than here.

Even parts of Mars is warmer than here.

Interestingly, when I got in the car near Riverdale Farm the car's thermomter said -22'C, and then it rose to -16'C when I was at Bay Dundas, before returning to -22'C when I was on the Gardiner westbound. Goes to show how much heat the city generates even when the roads are near empty.

It looks like I posted this question in the wrong thread.

How much snow fell on the 25th.
It seems like a basic question, but I couldn't find it on the Weather Network website or Environment Canada. Is it me who's a bad Googler, or are these weather websites that bad?

The thing I often find interesting about Toronto - and probably the bulk of the GTA - is that many people seem to simply deny winter. It strikes me as a bit comical to see people complaining about the cold while wearing dress shoes, no gloves or head covering. Go to Montreal, Winnipeg or probably any other Canadian city or town that experiences winter (sorry Victoria) and they will be dressed for warm. They may or may not be fashionable, but they will be warm. I quite frankly don't care what I look like so long as I am comfy, and, given the recent temperatures, safe.

The same mindset goes for winter driving. I saw a guy on the news tonight bragging that he had 'all season' tires and all wheel drive. Every weekend, the ditches up here are full of that folly, and the occupants are half frozen waiting for their CAA tow.

Think it's cold out there, here in Toronto, Ontario? Expect -23°C Sunday night. See link.

Extreme cold warning, special weather statement in effect for Toronto as icy conditions cause 200 collisions across GTA

See link.

...By early Sunday morning temperatures are expected to feel like -30 C with wind chill and will stay that way for most of the day. Come Sunday night it will feel like -35 C or colder.

“A milder air mass will begin to move in Tuesday,” Environment Canada says.

A special weather statement was also issued Saturday afternoon with Environment Canada saying the “bitterly cold” temperatures will continue, but the snow is expected to stop Sunday morning. Most of Southern Ontario is experiencing a major winter storm that has descended south from the Great Lakes.

Snow will continue to fall overnight in the city with amounts of 5 to 10 cm expected near Lake Ontario. Environment Canada warns that highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become icy and slippery.

“Blowing snow will also develop in some areas, resulting in reduced visibility at times,” the agency says on its website.

The extreme cold weather alert that was issued by Toronto’s medical officer of health on Wednesday is also still in place.

Extreme cold weather alerts are issued by the city when the temperature is expected to reach -15 C or colder or when the wind chill is forecast to reach -20 C or colder.

Prolonged exposure to such cold temperatures can have severe health consequences, such as hypothermia and frostbite.

A warming centre is open at Metro Hall, 55 John St., and will remain open until noon on the day the alert ends. The city will also provide transit tokens in some drop-in centres, as well as extra overnight street outreach for vulnerable residents. There are also pet-friendly spaces in some of the 24-hour respite sites, the city tweeted.

Everyone is advised to check the weather report before going outside, dress in layers, stay dry and seek shelter if spending long periods outside. The city also asks that residents help vulnerable people by calling 311 if there is a need for street outreach assistance and 911 if there is an emergency.

Police are also warning drivers to make room on the roads for snow plows. You can check out the city’s website to see which roads have already been plowed and salted.

Compare that with Toronto, New South Wales. Expect 38°C next Sunday daytime. Only 27° tomorrow Monday. See link.

Australia-has-undergone-the-hottest-heatwave-since-World-War-II-and-temperatures-are-rising-to-48C-next-week.jpg

Australia has undergone the hottest heatwave since World War II and temperatures are rising to 48C next week

From link.

The weather maps of Australia have turned black in places where the country has been in the grip of the most extreme heat since the Second World War.

Fiery conditions have plagued the east coast since Tuesday, with temperatures in New South Wales exceeding 41C during most of the week.

In a grim visual reminder of its severity, a weather map showed much of the east of the country as black and purple – indicating rising temperatures.

In a grim visual reminder of its gravity, a weather map showed much of the east of the country as black and purple – meaning rising temperatures

Fiery conditions have plagued the east coast since Tuesday, with temperatures in New South Wales exceeding 41C during most of the week
While Sydneysiders may feel some moderate delay during the weekend, the scorcher will return by Monday and reach his peak days later.

Port Augusta in South Australia will once again be one of the hottest places on earth with the coastal town that will reach a steaming 46C on Thursday.

Sydney temperatures will fluctuate around 30C all week, while the Melbourne peak is forecasted at 34C on Thursday.

Adelaidians are planning to bake with a maximum of 40C, while residents of Perth should see postponement thanks to consistent weather in the mid to high years & # 39; 20.

Thousands of people came through the week to the picturesque beaches of the country to escape the scorching heat.

The warm weather turned out to be too much for the Okley Highway near Wauchope, a town in the middle of the north coast of the NSW region, where the bitumen was shown that melted under the sizzling sun.

Walcha Council, which covers the most south-eastern corner of the New England region, told The Macleay Argus that they would use a water cart to cool the road
Walcha Council, which covers the most southeastern corner of the New England region, told The Macleay Argus that they would use a water cart to cool down the road.

In a report from Roads and Maritime Service it was acknowledged that water in the drought-stricken NSW was scarce, but needed bitumen to ensure the safety of motorists and to keep the road open & # 39 ;.

Playgrounds also became dangerous, with the metal equipment too hot for children to play on.

Mother Nicky Tongapijit told ABC News that she could not risk her children on the burning slides and other equipment.

Last edited:

Back