News   Jul 22, 2024
 495     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 609     0 

The University line

Should people who live in Scarborough really work downtown? Don't they take jobs away from people who live downtown?

Should people who live in Scarborough really pay taxes to the City of Toronto? Don't they take away opportunities for downtowners to pay more in municipal fees and taxes?

Should people who live in Scarborough really pay taxes to the City of Toronto? Don't they take away opportunities for downtowners to pay more in municipal fees and taxes?
With house prices generally being higher in the downtown than Scarborough, per capita, those in Scarborough pay less taxes than downtown. If anything taxes in Scarborough (and Etobicoke, and at least parts of North York) are subsidized by those downtown.

Similarily, if you go up to McCowan/Steeles, you'll see the houses just north and south of Steeles (west side of McCowan) are virtually identical in Markham as in Scarborough (heck, you can see this in Streetview!). Yet the municipal property tax rate in Scarborough is 0.561% and it's almost 25% higher in Markham at 0.701%. (both areas also pay the 0.231% provincial education tax. That's a $700 cost a year on a $500,000 house.

Where did I ever say 905 people give up jobs? i said if they are tired of the congestion, the long commute, lousy transit they keep complaining about then quit.

Sounds like you've simply landed on the wrong criterion, as lots of the 416 has much worse congestion, much longer commutes, and much worse transit than parts of the 905. Sounds like what you really mean is that maybe people who live further away from their jobs should, or might, get tired of getting there, and quit for a job closer to home.

Some might! Doubt that has much to do with the magical 416-905 boundary, though.

Doubt that has much to do with the magical 416-905 boundary, though.

It really is a magical line. We can thank Bell Canada for it.

If they had gone the same route with 289 and 365 and 647 and 437 I wonder if it would have had the same effect?

It really is a magical line. We can thank Bell Canada for it.

If they had gone the same route with 289 and 365 and 647 and 437 I wonder if it would have had the same effect?
It would still be Metropolitan Toronto/City of Toronto-Region of York, Peel, Durham. Even in present Toronto, there's original Toronto/York/East York-Etobicoke,North York,Scarborough.
As well, area code 905 was only added I believe in 1993.

Back