News   Jul 12, 2024
 872     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 779     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 327     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I guess the installation of anything besides a backlit sign is world news.... why else would the Goodyear blimp grace our skies (no Grand Prix I can think of).

goodyear.jpg

Any reason why these photo's not displaying full width and size from flickr? All shot at 8mgs and are width="3264" height="2448".

Long time no see this in Toronto
1084935811_b1be10b39d_b.jpg

As of 10.00 am with Yonge close to south traffic
1084932709_9d6ab30b34_b.jpg

1085787014_4cc60fdc36_b.jpg

1084922999_80ccc26291_b.jpg

1085777074_ad4797d00e_b.jpg

1085772460_38dbf93a69_b.jpg

1084908049_8b20b6d4b4_b.jpg

1084903171_ea1455bdf7_b.jpg

1084893947_d8937d2699_b.jpg

1085748946_aa5942a21e_b.jpg

1085743532_1c996f329b_b.jpg

1085738272_03db70737d_b.jpg

1085732682_d982069dfe_b.jpg

1084867969_5cd2759048_b.jpg

From Dundas and the DVP
1084940045_d46678e81a_b.jpg

will they work through the night to put this thing up, or will they shut down the street again tomorrow?

Should we be, uh, concerned that such large sections of the structure don't yet have cladding, and are just exposed insulation--like the Y-D corner?

And I stand by my prior assertion: throw in some cool ads, and this thing ain't half bad...what's far worse is the tangle of overhead wires and messy streetscape along Dundas.

Should we be, uh, concerned that such large sections of the structure don't yet have cladding, and are just exposed insulation--like the Y-D corner?

And I stand by my prior assertion: throw in some cool ads, and this thing ain't half bad...what's far worse is the tangle of overhead wires and messy streetscape along Dundas.

Exactly. As I have said, be patient and we'll get what was promised. Lots of glitzy, gaudy, trashy, flashy things.

If you look at the renderings you'll see that there are curved billboards around where the exposed ventilation shafts are. If that's what your talking about.

Jaye: I meant the rather large bits just above street level, especially on the wrap-around at the Y-D corner, which still don't have their cladding and are just exposed wood, or insulation, or something (as I am not in TO and only going off pictures it's hard to know for sure).

Caltrane: I think it's a common misperception in Toronto that because a street has a streetcar line it needs a mess of overhead wires shooting off in all directions--check out photos of the Melbourne tram system, for example, or for that matter Spadina, or King in the financial district. You just need some span wires, really, in addition to those for the actual catenary/trolley pole. Or so it would appear.

And why shouldn't Dundas be a candidate for a makeover? It's a major enough street, for sure, and stretches of it are in my opinion among the most poorly streetscaped, if you can even call it that, in the city. (The stretch from University to Bay comes to mind).

In my perfect world the City would designate one significant corridor per year to get a Spadina-like treatment, with Hydro undergrounding and better streetscaping. I understand the city is strapped for cash, but surely between BIA contribs, Section 37s, and putting Hydro on the hook for part the cost it could be brought to a reasonable level. Leveraging Section 37s in particular might help a lot, especially by using them to build up a general fund for an entire street's improvement, rather than on one-off projects. I believe this is the approach that will be used to augment the rebuild of Jarvis, when it finally occurs.

Is there any further progress on that huge (fingers crossed) screen?

Dundas through the Junction is a great example of how much better a street looks without hydro wires. Where there is streetcar overhead, there may be a few wires above ground on poles (which feed the actual overhead), but Vancouver has this too (feeding ETB overhead), and it's not too noticeable when it's only two wires on the light poles, not the old, wooden, multi-wire poles we still have here.

I'd do Spadina to Church Street, that way it would improve Chinatown, in front of the AGO, the somewhat run-down part around Chestnut, and through Dundas Square.

I wish more folks could see "before and after" photos of the Junction--it really was a dramatic improvement. I have always found Toronto's reluctance--or indifference, maybe--toward undergrounding to be rather puzzling. The wires aren't even buried on Bay Street, for chrissakes! My theory is that most Torontonians are so used to them as to not even notice.

I've noticed some of the not-too-bad metal poles with just one or two wires and spans for the streetcar have appeared on Queen West, like the ones currently on much of Queen East, which look quite good compared to the alternative. Hopefully this is a harbinger of Hydro's bringing down those vile wooden poles and transformer boxes.

In my perfect world the City would designate one significant corridor per year to get a Spadina-like treatment, with Hydro undergrounding and better streetscaping.

something is currently afoot however its more like a dozen corridors and moving at a snail's pace For example, Little Italy, Queen East, etc. have had their hydro and stoplights power lines buried but not (hopefully yet) the streetlights (hollow core poles needed) and TTC power lines (don't mean the lines in the middle of the street which make contact with the trolley poles)

And why shouldn't Dundas be a candidate for a makeover? It's a major enough street, for sure, and stretches of it are in my opinion among the most poorly streetscaped, if you can even call it that, in the city. (The stretch from University to Bay comes to mind).

I just thought that not much really happens on Dundas... ( excluding the Art Gallery) ....and West and East of Yonge street it basically sucks too. Why waste money undergrounding the hydro wires and streetscaping here?

Back