News   Jul 12, 2024
 962     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 839     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 342     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
This is the first thread in P&C to crack 1000 posts.

Congrats Metropolis!

This is the first thread in P&C to crack 1000 posts.

Congrats Metropolis!

Really not surprising given this project's long history and how controversial it has been on this board. If this place doesn't have at least some retail ready for this year's Christmas shopping season I'll bet it'll crack 2000 posts by New Year!

Too bad the stage blocks Torch from having a real precence in the square, at least at street level.
I think that Dundas Square (the small road running along the southern edge) should have been the entrance to the underground parking lot, sparing us the elevated permanent "stage" at the back of the lot. The road could graudally decend, making no need for an elevated portion of the square. Who uses that street anyways?
One of the missed opportunities in my opinion. A moveable stage would have worked fine, and could have been placed anywhere in the square, making different set ups possible.
Also, now with Toronto Life Square along the northern edge of the square, there is no need for the ugly "bus shelter" canopy skirting Dundas. I would LOVE to see this thing go. T.O. Ticks could be rebuilt as a feature right on the Yonge/Dundas corner where the bilboard is right now. Another lost opportunity.....

Using Dundas Square (the road, not the actual square) for a parking lot entrance might have eliminated the "need" for the elevated stage, but I don't think it would have been a good idea. Yes, we might have ended up with better views of the Torch site, but the ramp downwards into the underground garage would have blocked access from the square (the actual square, not the road) to the two heritage buildings on the south side of the road. Those two buildings have the potential to contribute more to the public space that any building on the Torch site would. And, besides, who would want to sit on the outdoor patio at Hard Rock next to a garage ramp?

In any event, a permanent stage is, IMO, the better solution, since moveable stages (a la Nathan Phillips Square) tend to look crapola.

What's much more worrying than the backside that's facing Lake Devo is the massive corrugated shed along Yonge St. It's not so visible from Yonge but from Edward St, it looks quite hideous. I hope it ends up being covered in something.

I dont think that a ramp from Yonge Street along Dundas Square street would have cut off the 2 heritage buildings, if executed correctly. The ramp could have started right at Yonge, and been a fairly steep decline so that the opening wouldnt have extended much further than the length of the Hard Rock Cafe only. With proper design (to minimalize the impact of the entrance) I think that there would have been little to worry about. It would also have given the square a larger footprint (encompasing Dundas Square Street) and would have opened the square up visually.

I really hate that stage at the back. Not only is the moveable cover UGLY, but the stage itself doesnt seem effective since most of it is on a slant.

As for Toronto Life Square Centre, or whatever it is called..... I am slightly disapointed in the dull, dark grey colour of all that siding. Even with billboards covering the south side, there is far too much dark grey.

My company is bidding for the interior fit-out of the Adidas store right on the Yonge/Dundas of TLS. According to tender documents they are aiming for substantial completion in mid-March 2008.

My colleague, who went to a site visit, showed me some photos inside. Not much to see but concrete structure, drywall, plumbing and sprinklers.

Didn't the old Metropolis thread also hit 1000?

I love how Cinnabon got the spot closest to the subway entrance in the concourse, continuing a marketing strategy based solely on smell.

And I'm still wondering 1. who's going to eat at the second food court (level 3) and 2. if there will be enough neon and flashy ads on the exterior.

Cinema-goers (there are 24 cinemas opening there) will no doubt prove a boon to the upper food court. Ryerson students using the cinemas as classrooms during the day will also keep the lights on and the griddles sizzling.

Mmmmm. Sizzzzling.

Nothing remarkable on the outside, it's moving slowly to the untrained eye. I'll get a picture update this weekend, but it's not much different from what was last posted.

I'm sure the pressure is on to get major retail tenants up & running for the Christmas buying season. I, like so many others, am very anxious to see the media boards installed to see how they look and affect the area.

Back