News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 867     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 350     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I saw the Global bit... They said Metropolis will open in, wait for it, 2008.

From a 'reliable' source: Openings at Toronto Life Square will begin this fall and continue through the spring of '08. Openings this fall will include Future Shop who have commenced their store build-out...

Don't get your hopes too high....for the last couple of months...I've not seen much done on the exterior...still looking crappy & sad.

I wonder if it will or has broken the world record, based on scale and size, the slowest building built in the history of mankind...

I wonder if it will or has broken the world record, based on scale and size, the slowest building built in the history of mankind...

Not quite:

sagrada-familia.jpg

YD Square is kicking off a series of outdoor sci-fi movie screenings tonight with Forbidden Planet. Pretty awesome!

Starts at 8.

forbidden_planet_ver1.jpg

Closer to home, the Oriental Centre (ex-Brimley Ghost) at Sheppard and Brimley in Scarborough took a pretty long time to complete too.

Originally the Bank of China Centre, the building was abandoned for years after the developer, who was not associated with the Bank of China, ran out of money. Later HSBC provided the financing and was completed, but did not reach its originally intended height. If you go see the building today you can see elevator shafts sticking out of the building showing how tall the building might have been if completed according to original plans.

Too bad the stage blocks Torch from having a real precence in the square, at least at street level.
I think that Dundas Square (the small road running along the southern edge) should have been the entrance to the underground parking lot, sparing us the elevated permanent "stage" at the back of the lot. The road could graudally decend, making no need for an elevated portion of the square. Who uses that street anyways?
One of the missed opportunities in my opinion. A moveable stage would have worked fine, and could have been placed anywhere in the square, making different set ups possible.
Also, now with Toronto Life Square along the northern edge of the square, there is no need for the ugly "bus shelter" canopy skirting Dundas. I would LOVE to see this thing go. T.O. Ticks could be rebuilt as a feature right on the Yonge/Dundas corner where the bilboard is right now. Another lost opportunity.....

All the city's a heavily-programmed stage these days. That's what defines our age, being "on" and ready to boogie, with never a moment's silence. Even Nathan Phillips Square is getting a permanent one, in its distinctively 2007-ish makeover.

Too bad the stage blocks Torch from having a real precence in the square, at least at street level.
I think that Dundas Square (the small road running along the southern edge) should have been the entrance to the underground parking lot, sparing us the elevated permanent "stage" at the back of the lot. The road could graudally decend, making no need for an elevated portion of the square. Who uses that street anyways?
One of the missed opportunities in my opinion. A moveable stage would have worked fine, and could have been placed anywhere in the square, making different set ups possible.
Also, now with Toronto Life Square along the northern edge of the square, there is no need for the ugly "bus shelter" canopy skirting Dundas. I would LOVE to see this thing go. T.O. Ticks could be rebuilt as a feature right on the Yonge/Dundas corner where the bilboard is right now. Another lost opportunity.....

The stage (moveable or not) at Dundas Sq. is TOO LOW. It should have a height (when performances are taking place) similar to that of the stages at the Montreal Jazz festival (when it was downtown). If a performance draws a lot of people, it just makes viewing it very difficult -- which ends up leading to an crowd control situation since there is more people fighting for a good view (but very limited selection). (Best Buy concerts last year).

The Torch was a disaster, very poor implementation of that buildings design.

Photos by Sir Novelty Fashion

Taken from his original thread to be found here:
http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=5935

Metropolis! Opening in 2002! I mean, June, 2007! I mean, "we almost have walls."

The previous view was of the north side, in case you couldn't tell it from the east side, which is also missing little patches still:

Service tunnel, into its depths

They were installing lampposts along the Yonge St. face, which was looking very not-ready.

We should have a poll on this one...when will it finish???

- Fall 2007?
- Spring 2008?
- Summer 2008? Can't believe China is able to build the Olympic faster than this shit! LOL

Back