News   Aug 12, 2024
 561     2 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 567     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
So I had a walking trip around campus today and took a few pics of Metropolis as we walked by... Here they are:

Soc017.jpg

Soc018.jpg

Soc019.jpg

Victoria Street side
Soc020.jpg

Soc021.jpg

Soc022.jpg

I'm actually liking the Victoria St. side. Those long vertical strip windows look rather sharp.

The answer to an earlier question I had has been answered. My question was with pillard being put into the current sidewalk, would this mean that Metropolis would encroach on city property and force a new sidewalk to be built, thus narrowing Victoria St? The answer is no.. sort of. Metropolis will be cantilevered over the sidewalk, but the sidewalk will remain there.

This is actually turning out to be a nice building for this area but the devil will be in the details. Anything can happen right down to the final hour.

The back end of the Princess Margaret Hospital hangs over the street like that, it's pretty menacing. Not very nice to the street.
I don't think a building like this is going to be saved by the details--just look at Pen-equity's other project across the street (the torch.)

^^ the Torch was looking very promising before it began to be covered up by crappy cladding instead of glass, concrete was left exposed and the ads and LED signs were left unfinished.

The Torch can still be saved by its next tenant if it gets one serious at living in a beautiful building. It just needs to be more open (read: more glass), use original ad form factors and play with its sorroundings.

^I agree. The "details" of these PenEquity projects tend to be the things that stick out in a bad way.

For example, they could have expended a small effort and hid the ducts on the south wall. They hang out like such an after thought. The word that pops into my head every time I see them is "mistake."

Hopefully they'll be covered by something.

The back end of the Princess Margaret Hospital hangs over the street like that, it's pretty menacing. This is very true, but sometimes it can remind me of a medieval city where they tended over time to encroach on the street bit by bit until in some cases windows on the upper storeys of buildings on the opposite side of a street were a few feet from each other, or the street ended up as a covered passageway. I think it will work better for Metropolis/Ryerson because there will be people about a whole lot more.

Density! Density!

Hopefully the building will be covered in twinkling lights, advertisments and so on. It'll be just fine then. A few more interesting tenants would really help though too.

Looking at the pictures from above I can't help but think how awesome it would have been for a major tower to have been soaring up from Metropolis, adding some vertical lift to the whole Yonge Dundas area (with a statue of Superman on the top of course).

GOODNESS!!!

WHY ARE PEOPLE HERE HAVE SO LOW STANDARD???

THIS BUILDING IS ANOTHER UGLY ADDTION TO TORONTO!!!

I CAN'T BELIEVE PEOPLE ACTUALLY LIKE THE BACK/VICTORIA SIDE...IT'S ONE OF THE UGLIEST THING OUT THERE!!! IT'S BIG, DUMB AND STUPID ALL IN ONE! IT'S SUCH ASHAME THAT IT'S NEXT TO THE NEW RYERSON ADDITION, WHICH WAS QUITE NICE.

NO WONDER TORONTO HAS SO MANY UGLY BUILDINGS, CAUSE THE PEOPLE HERE HAVE SUCH BELOW PAR STANDARDS! THEY WILL ACCEPT EVEN CRAPY SHIT LIKE BUILDINGS. GEEZH LOUISE!

Hi Pitfever. We appreciate your enthusiasm, but please no screaming on teh internets.

Most of us here really hate metropolis. Sure i'd love to have something unique and special but since its well under way, all we can do is sit back and hope it at least is an improvement of what was there before.

We all just hope that the little touches aren't forgotten like on the torch.

If you were part of the discussions years and years ago regarding metropolis you would understand that nobody on this forum really wanted it to look like this.

Theres no need to yell. If you do want to yell, save your energy for a project that hasn't started and demand to the city you want better. Tell your friends and anyone you know. Make the city hold developers to a higher standard.

SNF:

For all our "low standards", at least we'd know that typing in all caps is "UGLY" in many ways.

Interestingly, the sig is done in undercase. So I suppose not all is lost.

AoD

I seem to remember a considerable amount of enthusiasm hereabouts for this project, a few years back. I recall posting that it would have been far better if someone like Will Alsop, whose OCAD was then going up a few blocks away, had been able to bring some creativity to this project ... only to be dismissed with a "Meh, it's only commercial" reply - as if commercial buildings should exist in a design free zone.

In the 1960's Yonge and Dundas was home to several jazz and rock clubs where people like Ronnie Hawkins and Louis Armstrong played. One was the Brown Derby, which had become San Francisco's or something by the time I was at OCA in the early 1970's, and was located on the Metropolis site.

Back