News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 724     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Tell me about it, they aren't even showing the Dark Knight.

I've been to both AMC and ScotiaBank in the past 5 days. AMC seems to be doing well (on a Monday night) and ScotiaBank was, well, bedlam at 3pm on Tuesday afternoon

What other city has a mall area? - I think Toronto is the only city in the NA (maybe the world) with 3 malls on one intersection... and then a public plaza to boot.

Downtown Montreal at McGill Metro is chock-a-block with large indoor malls.

C'mon guys. Let's be more global.
This was posted by forum member Cacruden on 01-28-2008, page 231 of this thread:

"My problem is that after returning from Bangkok, Toronto's shopping will be totally unimpressive.

Where I am now, the Shopping around the Siam section of the sky walk includes:

Siam Discovery (forget the exact name): modern multi-level shopping complex - which connects to

Siam Paragon, which is larger and more modern than Eaton Centre - around 7 floors, bottom is Ocean World, top is IMAX theatre (and other theatres). In between there is an L shaped shopping floor (longer than Eaton Centre) that wraps around Paragon Department store. The bottom floor starts with a food court, gourmet grocery store, desert stands, then runs down the length of the floor with higher end restaurants around a lagoon. On the second floor they have a Lamborgini store, a BMW store, Ferrari store, there are Lotus cars on display (which are on sale now). The shopping there is fairly high end (and again significantly larger than the eaton centre).

Central World - which was recently renovated is next to Siam Paragon, and has 7 floors each floor larger than the Eaton Centre (by 2 to 3 times the size), with stores in there.

Across the road there is the Gaysorn (or Gaythorn) shopping centre which is much smaller which has most of the major luxury brands.

Which is connected by the skywalk to another major department store (7 floors), which is also fairly high-end department store with a gourmet grocer on the ground floor.

Around the corner back from the Discovery is the MBK which is a multi-level shopping (probably around 7 floors) with lower end shopping - smaller stalls - but still great to visit.

There are several other large shopping centers around the sky train route as well.

Amazing."

That sounds more like Toronto and Montreal times 10.

^^^

Sure, it sounds impressive, but what quality are the stores in these enormous malls? It could be an endless Dixie Mall for all we know. It says right there that "luxury" brands are condensed into a "much smaller" centre.

^^^

Sure, it sounds impressive, but what quality are the stores in these enormous malls? It could be an endless Dixie Mall for all we know. It says right there that "luxury" brands are condensed into a "much smaller" centre.

"Dixie Mall", I think not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siam_Paragon
http://www.bangkok.com/shopping-mall/siam-paragon-siam-paragon-overview.html
http://www.bangkok.com/shopping-mall/siam-paragon.html
http://www.siamparagon.co.th/v3/index2.html

Yeah, plus everything is indoors, which is a big minus in terms of urbanity. It'll never come close to the experience of shopping on 5th Avenue, Soho, Rodeo, or Oxford St.

Yeah, plus everything is indoors, which is a big minus in terms of urbanity. It'll never come close to the experience of shopping on 5th Avenue, Soho, Rodeo, or Oxford St.

You just want to be antagonistic for the sake of being antagonistic, don't you?

1) First, we can see from the websites I showed the links to, that it is not a "Dixie Mall" but a rather higher end place, and that there are many shopping centres of good quality in Bangkok, not only Siam Paragon and the ones next to it.
2) The original comparison was to Toronto's (and Montreal) Eaton Centre, Toronto Life Square, Atrium. All indoor malls. So bringing up Soho, Rodeo, Oxford St. is pointless.

I don't think it's a fair comparision. All those malls are relatively new and the malls in Toronto are older for example the premier malls in Toronto were built in 1964 & 1975 respectively. All those malls seem to have been built within the past 10 years or so with some exceptions built in the 1980's and 90's. So yes, they will be more modern more flashly than anything in Toronto. - You can't even compare TLS to those malls, because TLS could probably fit into just one of the stalls at Siam Paragon. The mall appears to be the biggest mall in Asia and a proper comparison for it would probably be West Edmonton Mall. And even still - West Edmonton Mall is not 2 years old like Siam Paragon.

Still Bangkok is wicked, and I hear the chicks are really nice there, and the massages are very satisfying.

You just want to be antagonistic for the sake of being antagonistic, don't you?
yeah ;)

1) First, we can see from the websites I showed the links to, that it is not a "Dixie Mall" but a rather higher end place, and that there are many shopping centres of good quality in Bangkok, not only Siam Paragon and the ones next to it.
2) The original comparison was to Toronto's (and Montreal) Eaton Centre, Toronto Life Square, Atrium. All indoor malls. So bringing up Soho, Rodeo, Oxford St. is pointless.

1) They certainly appear impressive, but I'm having trouble finding a store directory on the website. What I'm looking for, aside from the small luxury complex, are actual upmarket stores. Am I going to find retail equivalent to Williams-Sonoma and Tiffany's, or is it more along the lines of Payless Shoes and Xia Thao's Bargain Jewelry & Trinkets?

2) In fact, this was originally a discussion about how urban these inner-city malls like TLS actually are, so bringing up Soho, Rodeo, and Oxford St. brings us back to the original discussion, and is therefore more to the point, so I win.

Try finding a store directory for the largest mall in the world. And good luck with that!

Back