News   Jul 15, 2024
 216     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Re: PCL: Metropolis Update June 1/06

I think the actual 'square' itself is beautiful: I love the granite, and the fountains and light standards etc. As a bustling urban plaza it works just fine, in my opinion. At the same time I can't help but think that a more stereotypically traditional 'european' style square would have been inappropriate and disappointingly derivative for downtown Toronto. What we have instead feels modern and minimal, using a new vocabulary to translate the features so loved in more traditional squares into a language that feels rights for a new and growing city. It will be a nice added touch when the trees on the southern edge mature. The downfall, to risk a little negativity here, is not the square itself but the surroundings. Not all, but certain examples of private development taking shape around the square have not been up to the standards set by the square, and I think that even the average Torontonian senses this on some level. That said, the square will work regardless. The people, the noise, the flashing lights and the action will make this an important hub which is great addition to Toronto's main thoroughfare, any how you cut it.

I think the fundamental problem with the square to date is the lack of massing and interest on the east side, not issues of design quality or square programming. What I mean is that most of the traffic viewing the square is along the north-south Yonge axis and the view to the east is the squares least interesting. Metropolis will go a long way to address this issue regardless of it's architectural quality. If there was one more visually interesting structure (regardless of architectural quality) on the east in addition to metropolis and torch, say at or behind the Hakim store then the square would look fine. Increased traffic on the Dundas axis is also important.

I agree, the south and west sides are busy, and the north will soon be. The east side is drab and a bit depressing.

The square is not the issue, it's more like what's around the square that's problematic (particularly on the east side). I too think this square is beautiful... It's very Toronto, and that's precisely what I like about it.

I took some photos of metropolis earlier this evening. I also did a little exploring in and around the new Ryerson building - they're in the Ryerson thread.

f_IMG_0102.jpg

f_IMG_0104.jpg

f_IMG_0106.jpg

f_IMG_0107.jpg

f_IMG_0108.jpg

f_IMG_0111.jpg

f_IMG_0130.jpg

f_IMG_0131.jpg

f_IMG_0132.jpg

I really like the square too. I enjoy cooling off there on my way home after cycling during the day and just taking in the vibe, and most nights it's buzzing with something interesting going on.
Two things would really do it for me. I think there are 7 trees along the south side, perhaps 3 or 4 more would really hit the "green" mark and second, a more attractive multi-functional stage instead of the tent that they have setup now.
Once Metropolis comes to life I'm confident the square is really going to explode with even more activity and street life.

I always thought a green roof for the canopy would do wonders for the square.

The final stage has not yet been built - maybe it's still budgeted for the future. In any case, what is there now was not meant to be permanent.

Green on the canopy roof sounds interesting... I wonder how much more weight it could take without being entirely re-engineered?

Once the London plane trees are fully grown they will provide plenty of greenery and shade.

I think the square has been quite successful. I would like to see the street beside the Hard Rock closed and turned over to imbibers, and I would have wished for a crazee cool canopy like something from Barcelona, but more or less it's a good thing.

I noted today when I was there that the newer buildings that help define the square - Atrium on Bay / Metropolis / Eaton Centre - are all quite similar in massing and scale. With taller buildings sticking out around, you get a bit of that bowl feeling. It will be good when Metropolis is completed.

Archivist: " noted today when I was there that the newer buildings that help define the square - Atrium on Bay / Metropolis / Eaton Centre - are all quite similar in massing and scale. With taller buildings sticking out around, you get a bit of that bowl feeling. It will be good when Metropolis is completed."

I agree Archivist, and with newer highrises popping up in the distance and making their presence felt like the Met and RoCP, and other more recent existing ones like Pantages, the backdrop to the square is feeling even more dense. One major really cool project on the east side of the area would be the cherry on the cake.

More pics from today:

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2204.JPG

IMG_2203.JPG

IMG_2201.JPG

IMG_2197.JPG

IMG_2195.JPG

IMG_2190.JPG

East side (Victoria St.)

IMG_2189.JPG

Second crane

IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2188.JPG

North side (Gould St.)

IMG_2184.JPG

Eaton Ads back up:

IMG_2191.JPG

New OLG video screen:

IMG_2206.JPG

^^ The Atrium's redevelopment by opening up to the sidewalk is commendable and an example to be followed (better) by the Eaton Centre.

The Eaton Centre's opening to the street is void because most of the doors are locked.

Metropolis' massing is looking good, but I'm very afraid of what we'll see in terms of finishings. At least they're covering up the concrete poles, unlike Torch.

Back