News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 452     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Re: PCL: Metropolis Update June 1/06 = July 13

Hi Edward: I'm following up on your request for an update on the Canadian
Music Hall of Fame.

As you may know, just over a year ago (May 17th) CARAS announced Toronto had
been selected as the host city for the CMHF. Shortly thereafter CARAS
developed a fundraising strategy to launch in the Fall of 2005. One of the
primary targets for funds was the Government of Canada. As you know, the
government called an election shortly thereafter. To date, the fundraising
goals have not been met and until they are we do not anticipate “breaking
ground.â€

We have informed Pen Equity Management Corporation of the delay and when the
project resumes we will continue discussions with them. The space remains
vacant and CARAS anticipates that once its strategic planning process is
complete, and goals have been redefined it will move forward.

Hope that helps. If there is anything else you require, please let me know.

Thanks Ed. I hope this turns out better than Metronome (which never received government funds and thus died).

Well, however it turns out I hope they do a good job with this museum. One of the few enduring aspects of our collective identity seems to be a respect for, and pride in, Canadian music. It would stand to reason, therefore, that this could be a popular attraction if done right. Something along the lines of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cincinatti.

Come on, who is going to go to the CMHF? Really. I love Can music as much as anyone, but I can't envision any circumstances in which I'd pay to see Brian Adams' acne ointment or Leonard Cohen's walker. Just another Olympic Spirit with a short lifespan - brought to you by the taxpayers of Canada.

Something along the lines of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cincinatti.
You mean Cleveland.

I think the CMHF -- if done right -- could be a reasonably popular attraction. The admission price shouldn't be more than $10 though if you ask me.

Nice pics. Does that mean that Metropolis will be keeping space ready for CMHF? That doesn't seem right...

I'd imagine they will try to keep the space for a while, but if someone else comes along, they would probably seriously consider other bids for the space.

Classy green glass.

Mall.jpg

Metropolis-July24,06(17).jpg

Mmmm... streetwall...

homer.jpg

It's just a matter of time for Hakim to get redeveloped.

Thanks for the update Ed. Not to put too fine a point on it, but someone like The Toronto Star should have scooped this news long before we did.

alot of work has been happening in the last month and a half
and its looking huge.

Come on, who is going to go to the CMHF? Really. I love Can music as much as anyone, but I can't envision any circumstances in which I'd pay to see Brian Adams' acne ointment or Leonard Cohen's walker. Just another Olympic Spirit with a short lifespan - brought to you by the taxpayers of Canada.

*If done right*. And presumably there might be the kind of events programming that'll draw people to the joint--something Olympic Spirit never had...

"Come on, who is going to go to the CMHF? Really. I love Can music as much as anyone, but I can't envision any circumstances in which I'd pay to see Brian Adams' acne ointment or Leonard Cohen's walker. Just another Olympic Spirit with a short lifespan - brought to you by the taxpayers of Canada."

Yes, I agree that the potential for it being lame is very high. It has to be done right, and not cheaply. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is an example of a similar museum that has been critically successful and has drawn a lot of tourists to *Cleveland* (thanks for correcting). Also, every "induction" is potential for an event at this site. What about a new tradition of new inductees performing in Dundas Square?

The only reason I'd prefer to see Buffy Sainte-Marie* perform at Dundas Square rather than see Leonard Cohen's walker at the CMHF is that I'd have to pay to see the walker.

Also, they'd have to actually induct musicians to have performances...in 2004, all they could manage was to induct Bob Ezrin.

*yes, I know she's already in it.

I absolutely love how the massing of Metropolis is turning out. If the materials are decent, I think this could be a great addition.

Back