News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 407     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
That signage sure does look cheap, both the ads themselves - especially PenEquity - and the akward, grey framing. On a similar note, I found PenEquity's website blurb about what they have on offer at Yonge and Dundas Square pretty funny.

Torch Toronto

As the newest destination in this hip metropolitan area, the spectacular Torch Toronto boasts 11 vibrant signs on its exterior facade. The digital LED Video board features dynamic capabilities such as live feeds, website direct feeds, full motion video, animation, graphics, text and more, with over 16 million colours available. All 11 signs are available for annual, quarterly and monthly lease.

"Metropolis – an advertiser’s dream!

Metropolis has a number of exterior and interior signage opportunities available both for temporary advertising campaigns, as well as for permanent sponsorship placement. As a destination venue, Metropolis is one of a kind. Media is an integral part of the Metropolis experience. With outdoor, indoor, digital and static signs, each one is part of a media environment that attracts, directs and inspires visitors to Yonge-Dundas Square and to Metropolis. Metropolis promises to have all of the best elements of Times Square and Picadilly Circus, with the latest in video technology.

Metropolis continues this unique sense of space and media indoors! The interior of the building offers an array of strategically located video screens, complemented by traditional static advertising displays. To support advertising, marketing and branding initiatives, Metropolis has promotional display areas within the facility. Our interior digital signage network and activation event spaces will captivate, entertain and involve all visitors to Metropolis. With an ever-changing mix of advertising, digital art, informative and entertainment content, Metropolis has raised the bar for place based media.

Metropolis is proud to partner with Van Wagner Communications for the sale and marketing of exterior static/spectacular signs. Van Wagner is a leading provider of a wide spectrum of premium outdoor formats in key areas of top markets around the world including Times Square, New York, the Sunset Strip, Los Angeles and Piccadilly Circus, London."

what's so funny about it?

It actually sounds really interesting, especially the parts about the interior electronic advertising. That will be cool to see, infact I didn't even know there would be an interior ad campaign with this project.

Holy shit........ they're testing the LED screen and even in broad daylight... from a block away it looks like an HD broadcast on acid... unbelievably bright and impactful.

I'll post a pic soon... but suffice to say I've never seen anything like it... no cheap out afterall. Blows the doors off the neighbouring screens.

I know. Walked by this today and it tripped me out big time. A real experience. Thanks for the picture.

And on another note, it looks as if they have finsihed the side walk along Yonge. But they have not replaced or include any of the black granite sidewalk motif that is found along Dundas, Yonge and the rest of "Downtown Yonge". I wonder if this is an oversight, a temporary thing or just poor planning. Anyone know anything about this?

i have noticed increase maintenance workings in the general area, cleaning posts, replacing posts and such.

I think they are replacing all of the streetlights in that area as well.

Funny thing is Yonge St doesn't currently have street lights (I believe the Downtown Yonge BIA is fronting the initiative to add them).

Maybe they'll just leave the street lighting to that new super-bright LED screen.

Not all of Yonge lacks street lamps. Is this something recent that the city removed them because it was so bright from the lamps for the sidewalks, and the light coming from advertisements and stores? I never even noticed the lack of street lamps, say, south of Bloor. It sounds so cheap unless you're actually there.

I think it may even date back to the Yonge Subway construction that Yonge removed its street lamps--you'll notice that there's discreet light fixtures affixed to buildings along the way, in lieu of lighting poles...

I love the screens brightness, but they really messed up the placement of the screens. The main screen needs a shift to the left, so that the two rows on the right can be better aligned.

Not all of Yonge lacks street lamps. Is this something recent that the city removed them because it was so bright from the lamps for the sidewalks, and the light coming from advertisements and stores? I never even noticed the lack of street lamps, say, south of Bloor. It sounds so cheap unless you're actually there.

If you look carefully, non-traditional street lamps are actually mounted on the sides of the buildings facing Yonge Street from about Bloor south to around Queen or King Street. It's been like that for as long as I can remember.

They are testing the LCD screen still tonight and they were putting the future-shop signage on.

I'll get pics tommorow morning.

I too walked by last night and was surprized to see the main video screen come alive with colour. It looked like a 1980's art instalment. I LOVED the test-run. I wish the video screen right on the south corner of Dundas and Yonge was that high def.

Further up the street there were trucks out with a large neon sign to be mounted to one of the buildings north of TLS. It was a yellow sign with APOLLO written in red neon. I wonder if this is for an actual retail outlet, or if it is just for a movie shoot. Anyone know?

Re: new sign brackets being installed, they're likely both for FutureShop. I guess signs will be installed as stores open and FutureShop is probably the most antsy about moving into Toronto Life Sq. and out of their old decrepid building further up Yonge.

I agree. They would've been better off dumping the small screens and just putting a larger screen that takes up the entire area.

If you look at the rendering, you'll notice a big NEON Panasonic Sign atop the building.
What makes you think it's neon? Looks like it's backlit...

top0501_05_1580.jpg

...not neon

g%5ENeon_Sign_courtesy_scott_biggs.jpg

backlit or Neon the Panasonic sign in the rendering is impressive and it's brackets are definitely neon as it appears in ramdon colours from different persepctives

blue bracket

exteriorrenderingnorthefm4.jpg

red bracket

exteriorrenderingdundasij9.jpg

Back