News   Apr 16, 2024
 15     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 316     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 674     0 

The Retail Apocalypse

I think he likes the basics--meat and potatoes.
No, I hate potatoes and don't eat much meat.

I'm pretty sure I clearly stated that I'm fine on salmon, rice and veggies.

That's fine. I have friends that I go to Montreal with every now and then that only want to eat at The Keg. 😢

That is indeed sad. ;)

Pretty sure he implied that your post contained implied racism.

That's what I thought myself.

That would be rude. Moving on.

No, actually what's rude is making baseless inferences about someone's character and then making weak excuses for not actually slandering someone's character.

Nice try though.

Perhaps I should clarify for the woke Human Rights Tribunal mob:

I would prefer Toronto's culture scene to offer more than just a massive selection of restaurants and find the marketing of our diversity to be played out.
Like I'm over it. I've grown up here, I don't care about multiculturalism as a forced point of pride. It's just a fact of life, ho-hum, old hat.

That's what I thought myself.

No, actually what's rude is making baseless inferences about someone's character and then making weak excuses for not actually slandering someone's character.

Nice try though.

Perhaps I should clarify for the woke Human Rights Tribunal mob:

I would prefer Toronto's culture scene to offer more than just a massive selection of restaurants and find the marketing of our diversity to be played out.
Like I'm over it. I've grown up here, I don't care about multiculturalism as a forced point of pride. It's just a fact of life, ho-hum, old hat.
Enough of the quasi trolling. Further posts down this avenue from anyone will be considered full-on race-bating trolling, will be deleted, and members may end up on vacation.

I didn't particularly fancy J.Crew, but they did have some nice clothing on the higher end of the fast fashion spectrum. However, with them being a relatively later entry in the Canadian market, and having more expensive price points, I personally felt they became just a store that were worth a look when sales came around, à la other comparable brands like Banana Republic and Club Monaco.

Last edited:
I didn't particularly fancy J.Crew, but they did have some nice clothing on the higher end of the fast fashion spectrum. However, with them being a relatively later entry in the Canadian market, and having more expensive price points, I personally felt they became just a store that were worth a look when sales came around, à la other comparable brands like Banana Republic and Club Monaco.

Like everyone else, i shopped there only when they had sales. The quality didn't match the price point. J Crew is yet another brand that tried too hard to stay relevant and failed They watered down the mens section in recent years. Like Millennials are going to drop $140 on a plaid shirt.

Like Millennials are going to drop $140 on a plaid shirt.

hey....some of us have problems with compulsive behaviour/are dumb. ;)

I didn't even know J. Crew existed here nor that they sold men's clothing though.

Anyway, if said shirt will last me 20 years then 140$ is a bargain! Before you ask....yes, I own shirts from 20ish years ago.

Your comment is very illustrative of the problem with thinking about cost-value propositions. Way too many people have major issues with this.

For example, the absolute knobs queued up at the pumps for half an hour to save .10$/L aka 5$.....a lot of the time whilst burning any savings up in fuel while they wait! Absolutely incapable of thinking beyond the sticker price.

So, a 140$ plaid shirt, if it is well made and of good material can be quite the bargain.

As someone from a thrifty, savings oriented Eastern European culture, this thinking has been second nature to my family since I can remember. Of course, we shopped and hunted for deals. But it was always the bare minimum and we had a sneering attitude toward shopping. The final nail in the coffin was the continually declining quality of most consumer goods. Seems like some Westerners are finally waking up to this. Took long enough.

As someone from a thrifty, savings oriented Eastern European culture, this thinking has been second nature to my family since I can remember. Of course, we shopped and hunted for deals. But it was always the bare minimum and we had a sneering attitude toward shopping. The final nail in the coffin was the continually declining quality of most consumer goods. Seems like some Westerners are finally waking up to this. Took long enough.
My house is chockablock full of toys. It was a big stressor in the early years of marriage when I was accused of wrecking my kids’ childhoods by refusing to buy stuffed animals and toys at every outing or gift shop. As any veteran husband and father will tell you, acquiescence is by far the more tolerable path. So, now my adult kids are leaving for university and I have a house packed to the walls with PlayMobil, Barbie, Calico Critters, American Girl, BuildaBear, legos and at least 100 stuffed animals…. If I croak my wife could put all of my possessions, including clothes, shoes and books into perhaps a half dozen boxes. I don’t know why a four storey, five bedroom house has to have something placed on every horizontal surface. But my time is coming…. the kids are beginning to leave the nest and I’ve asked them to help me sell this army of toys on eBay, keeping only those they’re emotionally invested in - they can take the money, I get the sanity.

Last edited:

Back