News   May 02, 2024
 997     2 
News   May 02, 2024
 462     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 347     0 

The Met + Encore at The Met (Edilcan, 43 + 33s, P+S) COMPLETE

A safety barricade falling 33 storeys and hitting the street is pretty exciting, I'd say. Someone was killed about a year ago when a fence blew off one of those condos just North of Kipling station, so it could have been serious.

Accidents happen, I guess, but there's no excuse for debris or fencing being left unsecured on a high rise construction site.

there were a number of serious problems caused by the high winds, including, incase anyone didnt hear, a tractor trailer being blown onto its side on the Burlington Skyway. And it was a nasty wind let me tell you, especially when it gets squeezed between 2 buildings... the howling gusts kept me awake half the night. You know its strong when you can feel a concrete and brick structure shaking!

I was up at about 5am & while having a cigarette on the balcony, I thought I was going to lose my satellite dish. There was also lots of noise (smashing, banging etc.) coming from the Verve site.

Ah shucks, this town can be so cringeworthy at times. Where are the proud locals? The Carleton Coffee Roastery?
It's unfortunate but hardly unique to this town. London's obsession with New York is just as bad, especially in high rise areas like Canary Wharf. I suspect it's like that all over the world.

Pics from this afternoon - February 5, 2008
Sorry about the dusty lens - gotta clean it!

The new Carlton street canyon.
met01a.jpg

met01b.jpg

met1-1.jpg

View of the courtyard.
met2-1.jpg

Looking up in courtyard.
met3-1.jpg

met4.jpg

The east tower.
met5.jpg

Simply marvelous! These are some of my favourite new Towers in the city.... Not architecturally Brilliant, but they fit very very well.

The Little Courtyard Excites me! I actually need to walk through there sometimes, and not having a passthrough causes quite the extra-time added onto my Journeys...

This was taken at 11:30am Tuesday morning. Photobucket has been down all day so I could only upload it now

met.jpg

thansk guys for those fantastic pics! A few of them went straight onto my external hard drive. I have a folder on there full of Toronto skyline and construction pics that I use for my screen saver, so these will pop up every so often...

Great pictures.
However, I can't help but be underwhelmed by Encore. Beside Met it just looks like an 88 meter podium. As a stand-alone building it would be fantastic, it has lines which are subtle, yet intriguing and the design as a whole is 'amoebically' sexy - if such a concept exists.

Perhaps it is just the east-west angle. It captures the best parts of Met while relegating Encore to a submissive position, hidden in the streetwall. Too bad - if these were separate projects I would give both two thumbs up. However, both the way they are positioned on the site and the sweeping curve which they both share (and I like so much) only enforce a contrived end product; a planned condominium rather than an intelligent, evocative piece of design.

(It's ok, I'm just arbitrarily whining (or is that wine-ing)...I think Met/Encore is one of the better-designed projects in this city in the recent past.)

...offering some cheese to Projectend. Good lord these buildings are beautiful! ...the design, finishes, context!! I think we should be focusing our negativity on so many other more worthy subjects.

Love the image of Maple Leaf Gardens poking up in the picture above. It's nice to see the texture, shape and scale of this earlier building holding its own among so many more recent, boxy and nondescript buildings. It reminds me that it would be such a shame to loose this iconic structure when so much could be done to it.

However, I can't help but be underwhelmed by Encore.

Me too. Should have been taller and should have replicated the light feature the first tower has.

Love these buildings.

Sure, Encore could have been the same height but I'm happy with the outcome of this complex. It works at the street level, the canyon level (great shots) and in the skyline.

The townhouses are starting to grow on me too. (I was a bit suspect at first because of the orgy of different styles).

Carlton/College between Church and University is one of Toronto's best and most dynamic urban strips.

Back