News   Jul 15, 2024
 378     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 509     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

The Met + Encore at The Met (Edilcan, 43 + 33s, P+S) COMPLETE

The canopy at ground level seems a bit low - not a lot of clearance for pedestrians. Nice use of materials however at ground level.

The canopies look like shit, but the rest of the building and podium turned out quite nice. This has been one of my favourite projects going up recently and turned out better than I expected.

BC, thanks for these pics - and the pics you posted in the other threads.

I really like the base of this tower, both in design and materials used. I'm curious to see what materials they'll use to fill the dirt sections along the sidewalk when the time comes.

Also, Encore is moving along at a rapid pace. They've nearly completed the ground floor. When I bike by each morning I take a quick peak in. It's not unusual to see as many as 20 guys working on the site.

Thanks BC. The materials do look nice, but it seems like the retail entrances are a little closed off from the sidewalk. Weird with the canopies too. As mentioned, its better than pillars that come out almost right to the street and create a dark dingy store front which isn't exactly welcoming.

The canopies are so low they block the visibility of the signage. Not very well thought out. I wonder what they are planning between the sidewalk and the building? I'm surprised that it isn't cement already and surprised how un-level it is.

I'll hold off on judging the canopies until the covering on them is removed. Once that happens I believe they'll be somewhat see-through, which may improve how they look.

Apparently the bank is scheduled to open April 28.

The city seems to have a new obsession with mandating "weather protection" on most new structures. While it does work in some cases it leads to unfortunate results in others.

The best retail streets in Toronto don't have many canopies or collenades - hopefully the planning department wakes up to this fact and rather then mandating weather protection everywhere, let the developer or tenants decide if it works for their particular project.

Some future structures such as the Bay Adelaide Centre are going to look awkward with canopies sticking out from the first or second floor - imagine CCW with canopies rather then soaring from the base to pinnacle with perfectly straight lines.

I hope that they address some sort of treatment on the underside of the balconies

^ This is becoming an increasingly widespread problem. Check out the recently completed Cosmopolitan hotel on Colborne for an unfortunate example of unfinished balcony bottoms significantly marring an otherwise nifty project.

All those naked bottoms, and you'd think Yoko Ono's the architectural consultant
ono_1.jpg

Back