News   Apr 24, 2024
 121     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 595     0 

The 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo (2021)

Last edited:
Agreed. He’s our only male medal winner so far. The women are killing it OTOH.

Looks like they're ramping it up now. Damian Warner just won gold in the decathlon.

The men's 4x100m relay team also have a good chance at a medal, especially with the Americans not being able to qualify into the finals.

It's interesting how the Japanese are apologizing for not getting Gold.

TOKYO — Kenichiro Fumita was crying so hard that he could barely get the words out. I ended up with this shameful result,” he said, bobbing his head abjectly. “I’m truly sorry.” Mr. Fumita, 25, had just won a silver medal.

“Americans are very good at finding reasons why you are great even if you fail,” said Shinobu Kitayama, a social psychologist at the University of Michigan. But in Japan, he said, “even if you succeed, you have to apologize.”

Tonight at 9pm the Karate begins. That's Japan's origin sport, and I expect it'll be a national reckoning if they don't take Gold. It's akin to Canada not winning in international hockey.

It's interesting how the Japanese are apologizing for not getting Gold.

TOKYO — Kenichiro Fumita was crying so hard that he could barely get the words out. I ended up with this shameful result,” he said, bobbing his head abjectly. “I’m truly sorry.” Mr. Fumita, 25, had just won a silver medal.

“Americans are very good at finding reasons why you are great even if you fail,” said Shinobu Kitayama, a social psychologist at the University of Michigan. But in Japan, he said, “even if you succeed, you have to apologize.”

Tonight at 9pm the Karate begins. That's Japan's origin sport, and I expect it'll be a national reckoning if they don't take Gold. It's akin to Canada not winning in international hockey.

You should see the sheer vitriol on Chinese social media aimed even at athletes who finish second in sports where anything less than a dominant gold medal performance is considered borderline traitorous. The Chinese table tennis doubles team losing to the Japanese team in the final is a great example of the brutal shaming that's going on.

As a Westerner accustomed to the values of individualism I find this level of nationalism incredibly objectionable.

Last edited:
The Chinese table tennis doubles team losing to the Japanese team in the final is a great example of the brutal shaming that's going on.

You will need a bit of a historical context for the vitrolic response (as unjustifiable and un-sportsman) to this one - table tennis (along with badminton) are considered "national sports"; losing is bad enough; losing to an archenemy is downright a national shame level of humiliation.

AoD

You will need a bit of a historical context for the vitrolic response (as unjustifiable and un-sportsman) to this one - table tennis (along with badminton) are considered "national sports"; losing is bad enough; losing to an archenemy is downright a national shame level of humiliation.

AoD

People need to be less serious, especially about trivial things such as sport.

Canada added another gold to finish off the games with 24 medals in total: 7 gold, 6 silver and 11 bronze.

A new record for the highest medal tally at any non-boycotted Summer Olympics.

Damian Warner will be Canada's closing ceremony flag bearer.

Did anyone wonder how they turn those flowing sparks into the Olympic rings at the closing ceremony? Apparently it is all just special-effects by a Montreal-based company:

AoD

Canada added another gold to finish off the games with 24 medals in total: 7 gold, 6 silver and 11 bronze.

A new record for the highest medal tally at any non-boycotted Summer Olympics.

Damian Warner will be Canada's closing ceremony flag bearer.

Weird NL moment.

I just can't help myself when I see statistical assertions to look into them.
So....we did grab our largest total of medals for a non-boycotted Summer Games - True.

However, there were more medals awarded than at the previous games where we topped out at 22.
We hit 22 medals in 1996 in Atlanta.
In that year, 842 medals were awarded.
This year 1080 medals were awarded.

Ergo, to match our percentage from 1996, we would expect to win 28% more medals.
Which would be 28.

So, yes, a record haul, but not our best performance if ranked by percentage of medals available, won by Canada.

I now return this thread to normal people who never would have bothered looking into that..............and would probably be correct in that choice.

LOL

Back