News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 823     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

The 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo (2021)

An emergency cancellation isn't impossible at this point.

Seriously, just pull the plug. No one's watching, and hardly anyone cares - shouldn't they be focusing on increasing the vaccination rates instead?

AoD

Imagine spending tens of billions just to be the world's laughing stock.

If I'm Brisbane, I'm trying to figure out a way out of this for 2032.

Imagine spending tens of billions just to be the world's laughing stock.

If I'm Brisbane, I'm trying to figure out a way out of this for 2032.

The Olympics really does need to be downsized, there are simply too many events, too many athletes.

The other obvious headache is that the IOC has traditionally demanded all-new facilities which adds enormously to the cost.

They appear to be relaxing a bit on that one; but it needs further relaxing.

If you can get the Olympics down to 1/3 its current size, and relax the venue requirements, you can get the cost down by 75-80% at which point it becomes a much more affordable proposition to host.

While that might make some observers happy, in some sports it would mean women would never medal again. With differences in physiology, intense training can only go so far.
Easy fix is weight or other non-gender classifications. This would also cancel the often transphobic debate over M2F athletes having an edge in women’s sport, https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc...edge-after-year-hormone-therapy-study-n125276 So, boxing, cycling, tennis, golf, etc. classify by something other than gender.

Easy fix is weight or other non-gender classifications. This would also cancel the often transphobic debate over M2F athletes having an edge in women’s sport, https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc...edge-after-year-hormone-therapy-study-n125276 So, boxing, cycling, tennis, golf, etc. classify by something other than gender.
Perhaps where weight classification is a factor but, just as example, look at the comparative Olympic/World record times in swimming, where upper body strength is a huge factor. Some sports, such as the winter downhill events, seem to be oddly separated, but I'm no expert. On the other hand, non-gendered hockey would likely be a bloodbath.

The 'hormone levels' debate, not only for trans competitors, but for those naturally born with 'out-of-norm' levels remains a conundrum.

TSN’s live coverage is terrible. I can‘t tell what event is broadcast when and on what channel. I was watching TSN1 and it’s gymnastic qualifying, and the TSN commentator comes back from commercial saying that the Canadian women have won silver in the pool…. Why not show that live event? I gave up, set the PVR to record both TSN channels with Olympic coverage.

With shoddy coverage and inconvenient time zones, my guess is this Olympics will be a commercial disaster.

TSN’s live coverage is terrible. I can‘t tell what event is broadcast when and on what channel. I was watching TSN1 and it’s gymnastic qualifying, and the TSN commentator comes back from commercial saying that the Canadian women have won silver in the pool…. Why not show that live event? I gave up, set the PVR to record both TSN channels with Olympic coverage.

With shoddy coverage and inconvenient time zones, my guess is this Olympics will be a commercial disaster.
I haven’t been a fan of the event broadcast selection. The men’s triathlon started at 5:30pm and CBC starts to broadcast the event. It’s 6:30am in Tokyo and nothing else is happening event-wise when the race started (surfing starts at 7:00 am in Tokyo). Shortly after the bike ride starts in the Tri, CBC decides to rebroadcast the women’s gymnastics qualifying. It’s nice that they’re focusing on just the Canadians, but they’ve shown it a couple times today already. Meanwhile Sportsnet is rebroadcasting the women’s road cycling race on 4 of it's channels. So if CBC wants to show the gymnastics during prime time, could they not coordinate and dedicate one Sportsnet channel to a live event? Women’s Surfing also just started. No Canadians but it’s a new sport at the olympics. Could they show at least a little bit of it? I saw none of the men’s surfing on any of CBC, TSN or Sportsnet’ channels yesterday.

I suppose I could stream all the events, but the CBC Olympics app is terrible

/rant

First gold medal for Canada after Maggie MacNeil won the women's 100m butterfly finals. She was also part of the women's 4 x 100m relay team that won silver.

Penny Oleksiak wins bronze, becomes most decorated Canadian summer Olympian

July 27, 2021

Penny Oleksiak made Canadian history on Day 5 of the Tokyo Olympic Games after earning a bronze medal in women's 200-metre freestyle.

Oleksiak became the most decorated Canadian summer Olympian of all time with six medals, surpassing Lesley Thompson-Willie and Phil Edwards while tying Cindy Klassen and Clara Hughes for most overall Olympic medals.

Back