News   Apr 23, 2024
 45     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 567     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 405     0 

The 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo (2021)

Kudos to our top women, but where are the Canadian men? Nine medals so far, and none for the men.

Looking at some of the past recent summer Olympics, it looks like most of the Canadian male medalists are from sports like rowing, canoeing, swimming, and track and field.

From my understanding, there's still some events left in canoeing. And track and field is still to happen. So hopefully some more opportunities coming up.

I’d hoped to see an Olympics come to Toronto in my lifetime. They’re all spoken for until 2036. Should Toronto bid for that games?

I’d hoped to see an Olympics come to Toronto in my lifetime. They’re all spoken for until 2036. Should Toronto bid for that games?

Kiss that idea goodbye. Toronto coming a close second to Beijing due purely to political reasons for the 2008 games despite having the best technical bid left a bitter taste in this city for the foreseeable future. Looks to me like there's been no serious local appetite for it ever since that debacle.

I think the trick is to make sure that bids for events like Olympics and World’s Fairs incorporate longer term plans for housing, sports facilities, and infrastructure, so that many of the plans can be used no matter whether the bid wins.

Nice women’s soccer win over US!

I think the trick is to make sure that bids for events like Olympics and World’s Fairs incorporate longer term plans for housing, sports facilities, and infrastructure, so that many of the plans can be used no matter whether the bid wins.

Nice women’s soccer win over US!

The cost simply needs to come down, its too much money.

Too many athletes, too many media, too many tourists all at once.

If the Olympics would trim the size of the event, and permit multi-purpose and refurbished facilities so you don't need a litany of new buildings that are single-use; there might be something to talk about.

That said, you really need a large area set for redevelopment, that's well located, our top space was the Portlands, but the plans there are afoot and will likely be well underway (the buildings not the roads/river) before 2036.

That arguably leaves one obvious spot, the Exhibition Grounds.

Frankly, given the costs of the Olympics the host city should only be awarded to cities/countries that are in need for a major end-of-life-cycle rehabilitation to many of their athletics facilities.

That is why London and Tokyo made sense, whereas Rio was a disaster.

In Toronto's case, we already did our upgrades for the Pan-Am games. I wouldn't want us to consider hosting the olympics for at least another generation.

Frankly, given the costs of the Olympics the host city should only be awarded to cities/countries that are in need for a major end-of-life-cycle rehabilitation to many of their athletics facilities.

That is why London and Tokyo made sense, whereas Rio was a disaster.

In Toronto's case, we already did our upgrades for the Pan-Am games. I wouldn't want us to consider hosting the olympics for at least another generation.

So its 2040 you say..............(generation typically being defined at 20 years)

Back