News   Apr 15, 2024
 987     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 658     0 

The 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo (2021)

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Just about a month away from the Olympics start on July 23rd, 2021.

Organizers have set a 50% of venue capacity, up to a maximum of 10,000 people.

Meanwhile for Canada, Denis Shapovalov (tennis) has chosen to not participate due to safety reasons.

What percentage of Olympic revenue typically comes from the ticket sales?

Not sure about figures historically but here's some info about the ticket sales situation for Tokyo:

“While ticket sales will be substantially reduced with foreign visitors banned, ticket sales are far from the largest revenue source,” Sheehan explained. “Domestic sponsorships typically are the largest revenue source, followed by worldwide television revenues and international sponsorships. They likely total about $8.2 billion. If there was zero ticket revenue, the expected loss would total $7.2 billion. While the Olympic Committee reasonably expects to lose money, they will lose less by running the Olympics than canceling — $7.2 billion vs $7.5 billion. Any money they do receive from ticket revenues is simply gravy that reduces their overall loss.”

What percentage of Olympic revenue typically comes from the ticket sales?
Typically it is mostly TV rights, sponsorship and merchandise sales. Things might be different this year, but I think most agreements were signed pre-COVID.

I gave up interest in the summer Olympics years ago (winter will still catch my non-fawning interest), primarily due to the succession of national hubris in indebting themselves for the showcase, and the almost regal stance of the IOC.

To me, Olympic sports entail a fair degree of athleticism which, admittedly, is stretched by some sports, but if it ever degrades to point of including participants manipulating pixels on a screen, all will be lost.

The Canadian men's national basketball team was eliminated from Olympics qualification after losing to Czechia last week, despite Team Canada having 8 NBA players.

Last edited:
The Canadian men's national basketball team was eliminated from Olympics qualification after losing to Czechia last week, despite Team Canada having 8 NBA players.

Brownie points for using the name "Czechia"!

Not sure who was following the Tokyo municipal election, but the governing LDP did very poorly and that was mainly a backlash to them insisting on hosting the Olympics. PM Suga won't be around much longer....

From the above:

1625756821573.png

Last edited:

Back