News   Mar 28, 2024
 101     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 280     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 641     0 

TCHC: 88-90 Carlton (12s, Stanford Downey)

Is that facade really worth saving? Doesn't look anything special to me. It doesn't even look that old. Sometimes, I think the preservationists are over compensating for the past terrible failures to protect truly special buildings.

it's unique, and it's being saved, end of story. If overcompensation is the preservation of a few more facades in this city, I say overcompensate away.

Now if they only preserved the facade of that lil house next to the University Theatre back then:

rg_56_11_0_323_13_620.jpg

Wow.. Yorkville has become immensely richer with the construction of 10 Belair/100 Bloor.

I remember back when the University theatre and its neighbouring facade were standing; there was a plaque or something else or rather about Shakespeare. I used to always imagine that area being Shakespeare's birthplace (I was 5 years old;)).

Is that facade really worth saving? Doesn't look anything special to me. It doesn't even look that old. Sometimes, I think the preservationists are over compensating for the past terrible failures to protect truly special buildings.

I'm not arguing on behalf of its being in any way "special" (in fact, I'm a little ambivalent about this one, too)--but what do you mean by "it doesn't even look that old"? Sounds to me like one of those dumb yahoo "if it isn't 100 years old, it isn't historic" arguments to me.

Look at it this way--it's probably no more recent than Maple Leaf Gardens, which itself has been slated for variations on a facadectomy. Is that insufficiently "old" for you?

^ ^ Is that building the one that is not Pottery Barn or whatever it is up on Bloor? I had NO idea it was a preserved facade. Geez... I thought it was just a very stylish and unique touch on that retail strip at the base of a condo there.

I'm very impressed. I actually like it in its current context alot too.

I'm still in shock... I had no idea.

And another interesting point here re 88-90 Carlton: I'm not so sure if the facade prop-up is props to the *heritage* agenda, so much as to the *housing* agenda. IOW by saving the fronts, they can make the claim to saving existing rental/affordable housing, as per official city policy--it practically doesn't matter whether they're "heritage" or not.

Funny how so-called "heritage" tactics (however questionable) can migrate to serving other preservation-type purposes quite independent from heritage...

June 7th

Not a great shot, but I just noticed the crane being erected today

PICT1464.jpg

Wow, it actually took me a second to find the crane in that picture, and I knew where to look

By happenstance, there was an open house today at unit 603, 281 Mutual (a southwest facing unit at Radio City, with a great view of the crane). Truth be told, I was more taken with the two beautiful cats inside..

another shot of the crane, looking down from Radio City

Attachments

• crane.jpg
    crane.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 423

Back