News   Apr 17, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 322     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

TCHC: 88-90 Carlton (12s, Stanford Downey)

I think this building is a good example of how a slab can work if it's placed well.

That facade looks like a fake beard, or one of those mustache, nose, and glasses masks.

This one's coming along quite nicely.

DOWNTOWN-April26-09001.jpg

DOWNTOWN-April26-09002.jpg

Last edited:
May 8th Update

Forgive the curves, I'm not great with autostitch.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

May 23rd Update

Not a lot of change on the exterior, more windows are installed.

From the side/rear of the building on Mutual Street and then Carlton Street, respectively.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

I've heard a lot of people from Regent Park will be transferred here, to begin the redevelopment of part two.

very possible ... sounds logical since RP is just down the street, so that would be less of a dramatic move for some of the residents.

i wonder how the $1MM townhouse owners of Radio City will feel with the TCHC TH facing Mutual just down the road. :p

very possible ... sounds logical since RP is just down the street, so that would be less of a dramatic move for some of the residents.

i wonder how the $1MM townhouse owners of Radio City will feel with the TCHC TH facing Mutual just down the road. :p

Three of them are for sale, perhaps that a gauge.

July 19th Update

It's been a while since we've had an update on this project. Good progress is been made here.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size (this is a large, stitched file)

Those $1M dollar townhomes have been facing TCHC housing since they were built. That really nice red and green building on the corner of Wood/Mutual is TCHC, and then the building that this one is replacing was a rundown termite infested TCHC building.

By my count the Radio City townhomes still face the same community housing they've always faced, albeit one of the buildings will now be much nicer to look at.

Mutual south of Maitland is a great street, this project will add some much needed life to the south end of this stretch.

The red and green building? You mean the "Sunrise 1"?. It's by Robert Reimers, and I'd be hard pressed to say I love it - it's actually pretty ugly.

Though - with the entrances on Mutual it is kind to the street.

Yes, Mutual has come a long way, Radio City was a huge help to this little corner of downtown.

There's something about it (Sunrise I) that I actually like. I don't think it would pass any objective measure of quality design, but the way it fills out the south side of Wood is very pleasing and actually makes for a pleasant experience to walk by. The entrances onto the street make the surroundings feel really neighbourhood-y. The faux-copper trim is a bit tacky I guess, as is the leaf motif, but it works somehow. Probably because it's so without pretension that it's almost like I never expected it to be anything other than what it is.

Sunrise 1 does indeed meet the street well. Residents often sit outside, chatting with friends, and there is an interesting piece of artwork on the Mutual St. side.

I'm not buying the idea that Radio City townhouses are going up for sale in response to assisted housing. As the TCHC building is nearing completion, the street is only getting better.

Back