News   May 06, 2024
 310     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 474     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.3K     1 

TCHC: 501 Adelaide E / 288 King E (14s, aA)

The forms used in the one development aren't appropriate for the other, as the architectural proposals demonstrate quite well.

This is laughable. Aa would build point towers at the Brick Works if a developer came to them and told them to do so and the city/OMB allowed them. Heck, that is the sole reason they are doing so at the Distillery.

The Distillery is proof positive that context has nothing to do with the larger forms of these developments. Heck, if the client wanted it, and the economics demanded it, there would be a point tower at 288 King St. E. and/or 501 Adelaide Street East as well (with nice little 5 story podiums in the same shape of the lots, so it could be 'contextual').

I wouldn't have thought it too much of a stretch to grasp that the context for the Brick Works is a bunch of trees, some grass, foxes, wetlands, wildlife, and a river. The context for the Distillery District is a revived downtown residential neighbourhood with thousands of residents and hundreds of new buildings to house, entertain, and provide shopping for those folks. Two totally different contexts.

The point is context does not matter, at all. That is why point towers are being built on Yonge Street, on Bay St. and in the Distillery District.

oooh, but we can liven up the 'wetlands' by adding population, and integrate it with the city, with new residences, and add 'beacons' to help give it a focal point, etc., etc., etc., blah, blah, blah. Point towers everywhere!!!

Perhaps this may be just because of the prevalence of Clewes(aA) or my distorted thinking, but what I find interesting is that in the near future, we will find a Clewes(aA) building at the approximate four corners/terminal points of the Old Town Toronto Area:

-PureClear Spirit to the South-East
-Pier 27 to the South-West
-Spire to the North-West
-288 King/501 Adelaide St East to the North-East

(In addition to Mozo and East Lofts that lie within)

oooh, but we can liven up the 'wetlands' by adding population, and integrate it with the city, with new residences, and add 'beacons' to help give it a focal point, etc., etc., etc., blah, blah, blah. Point towers everywhere!!!

too much egg nog petal?

Huh? I am not advocating skycrapers (your word. I am glad you finally admitted it) in any historic district with low/mid-rise buildings. Lord forbid.

There is no architectural firm in this city known as Aa.

There is one called architects Alliance where, possibly coincidentally, a certain Peter Clewes travails. It is known as aA for short.

alklay: Put down the egg nog, petal, and check your previous post which talks of livening up the wetlands by adding population, integrating it with the city with new residences and beacons and "Point towers everywhere!!!". You claim that "context does not matter, at all" and in your world that's obviously true.

Not at all. Comparing the very different plans for the Distillery District and the Brick Works you find it "laughable" that the forms used in one development aren't appropriate for the other.

A few shots mostly of the crane (and most including Pure Spirit) from the roof of The Richmond...

DSCN5059.jpg

DSCN5062.jpg

DSCN5063.jpg

DSCN5075.jpg

Back