News   Apr 19, 2024
 436     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 772     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 769     1 

Taxis and ride-sharing in Toronto

With such excellent transit downtown, I'm surprised there's any need to frequently take taxis!

When I'm in Manhattan, I'm always baffled by the staggering amount of cabs given that the place is very walkable and has a dense network of subway lines.

0 for 15 adds to the conversation. It suggests a problem with a driver isn't a normal situation - unlike some other cities I've taken cabs in.

Except it is a normal situation. There wouldn't be such widespread disdain for the taxi industry if "normal" was a decent experience.

I've heard people complaining about uber drivers.

And Uber has a system to deal with shitty drivers. Taxi industry does not, and has no issue employing people who have a history of being violent, with passengers even.

When I'm in Manhattan, I'm always baffled by the staggering amount of cabs given that the place is very walkable and has a dense network of subway lines.
Cabs are a great way to get around Manhattan, especially outside of rush hour. When I visit with my family (two adults, two kids) we walk to a street that's going our direction (avoiding the cab's u-turn or round the block circuit) and then flag down a cab. If we're going a few blocks it might cost us $10 or less and we get to where we want in minutes.

Uber is launching a new service in Toronto this week, something that is currently not in existence in any other city! UberHop

Service starts between Liberty Village, Fort York, CityPlace and the Distillery District.

No details yet, but it will likely be some sort of transit route connecting the neighbourhoods mentioned, but made up of Uber vehicles.

Apologies -- I mistook crowdsourcing for crowdfunding. Your post makes complete sense, although I'd say that your view of the corporate world matches the cynicism of lots of others on this thread!

That cynicism lead to my crowdsourcing experiences! There was a spirit of 'doing things better than the horrible corporate world'. But once the amounts of money reached a certain level, the 'vultures' flew in. The actual corporate world ended up looking not so bad in comparison.

Uber is launching a new service in Toronto this week, something that is currently not in existence in any other city! UberHop

Service starts between Liberty Village, Fort York, CityPlace and the Distillery District.

No details yet, but it will likely be some sort of transit route connecting the neighbourhoods mentioned, but made up of Uber vehicles.

A jitney! Municipal by-laws that prohibit public transport competing with the TTC (taxis are exempt; some private charter services, such as the shuttle buses from Palace Pier and Harbour Square are also permitted). This will raise the ire of the TTC and ATU 113.

It was launched in Seattle on the 8th.

Yea, saw that in news stories today, but didn't see anything about it after doing a quick google about it last night. Toronto's was supposed to launch first according to Uber, but some delay occurred pushing the date to tomorrow instead.

Can't wait to see the joy on Uberpooler faces when a bunch of folks with guide dogs, wheelchairs and so on turn up to commute into town. Uber's got such a good record on accessibility...

A jitney! Municipal by-laws that prohibit public transport competing with the TTC (taxis are exempt; some private charter services, such as the shuttle buses from Palace Pier and Harbour Square are also permitted). This will raise the ire of the TTC and ATU 113.

Yup! I guess this means the end of the City playing nice with Uber!

Can't wait to see the joy on Uberpooler faces when a bunch of folks with guide dogs, wheelchairs and so on turn up to commute into town. Uber's got such a good record on accessibility...

Uber aready has accessible vehicles that can be booked through the app. They are under their own category, so a user can select an accessible vehicle specifically.

(Under UberTaxi, hit the UberWAV button to see which vehicles are accessible)

Uber aready has accessible vehicles that can be booked through the app. They are under their own category, so a user can select an accessible vehicle specifically.

(Under UberTaxi, hit the UberWAV button to see which vehicles are accessible)
In a regulated environment, the municipality can mandate accessibility so that those who need it can expect the same level of service as other customers, with consequences in the event that these expectations aren't met. In an unregulated environment, who tells Uber that they MUST be able to field a sufficiently accessible fleet, when in the UberX model they don't provide the vehicles or have specified hours for drivers?

In an unregulated environment, who tells Uber that they MUST be able to field a sufficiently accessible fleet?
No one. Because it's not Uber's fleet. If I'm coordinating a car pool service, there's no obligation to accommodate special needs.

It's a good point though, as Uber and other sharing services will bring back a degree of Darwinism, where able folks will have a great access.

Back