News   May 02, 2024
 636     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 358     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 307     0 

Taxis and ride-sharing in Toronto

No one. Because it's not Uber's fleet. If I'm coordinating a car pool service, there's no obligation to accommodate special needs.

It's a good point though, as Uber and other sharing services will bring back a degree of Darwinism, where able folks will have a great access.
It is interesting that services which call themselves "sharing" aren't very much about "caring", like moving into a building and finding out the guy next door has a full time Airbnb setup going.

1. Those taxi drivers need to read their own Bylaw. The Toronto Municipal code http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/municode/1184_545.pdf Section 545.5 Part I Reads:

1. Threats or reprisals.
    1. (1) For the purposes of this section, "any action by way of threat or reprisal" means:
      1. (a) Terminating or purporting to terminate any employment or other business relationship governed by the provisions of this chapter; and

2. (b) Causing or purporting to cause pecuniary harm in respect of any business governed by the provisions of this chapter.
    2. (2) No person licensed under this chapter shall, by any means whatsoever in respect of the licensed business carried on by such person, take any action by way of threat or reprisal against any other person licensed under this chapter by reason only of such person's participation in proceedings instituted under this chapter.

3. (3) No person licensed under this chapter shall, by any means whatsoever in respect of the licensed business carried on by such person, take any action by way of threat or reprisal against any other person licensed under this chapter by reason only of such person's participation in the exercise of the authority of City Council to enact by-laws for the licensing, regulating and governing of businesses in the City of Toronto.

- Paul

If I'm coordinating a car pool service, there's no obligation to accommodate special needs.

Building code goes out of its way to ensure accessibility of new structures regardless of the customers the business intends to serve. Perhaps there should be minimum accessibility requirements for services such as this.

UberAccess/UberAssist/UberWAV does, in fact, accommodate wheelchairs and other devices though obviously with reduced capacity of their standard service. I don't know if they maintain price parity between that and the normal service.

Last edited:
Bob Kinnear's comments:
  • ‎”Bus and streetcar operators have a daily challenge getting our passengers from Point A to Point B safely and efficiently. The last thing we need is a gaggle of unlicenced, unregulated and uninsured itinerant drivers further clogging our roads during rush hour for a few extra bucks."
  • “Is it a good thing that people choose to not vaccinate their children against infectious diseases? Or is it a good thing that companies get to choose whether they obey worker health and safety laws? Why bother to even have a government if it won’t enforce its own laws?”
  • "Kinnear suggested the mayor has since surrendered to the American company and is now hiding behind a weak Crown prosecution.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...nion-slams-tory-for-not-fighting-uberhop.html

Bob Kinnear's comments:
  • ‎”Bus and streetcar operators have a daily challenge getting our passengers from Point A to Point B safely and efficiently. The last thing we need is a gaggle of unlicenced, unregulated and uninsured itinerant drivers further clogging our roads during rush hour for a few extra bucks."
  • “Is it a good thing that people choose to not vaccinate their children against infectious diseases? Or is it a good thing that companies get to choose whether they obey worker health and safety laws? Why bother to even have a government if it won’t enforce its own laws?”
  • "Kinnear suggested the mayor has since surrendered to the American company and is now hiding behind a weak Crown prosecution.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...nion-slams-tory-for-not-fighting-uberhop.html
Let's not forget whom Bob Kinnear represents. He does not represent the TTC nor its customers.

Bob Kinnear's comments:

Can I get a vaccination against union head hyperbole? Why do Uber's main foes immediately try to make Uber look better? Are they undercover operatives?

What's the specific worker health and safety law being flouted here? I'm assuming Uberhop drivers have a driver's license for the vehicle they're operating, which is what the bus/streetcar/subway drivers would have for their, more specialized, vehicles.

I didn't have time to read comments on this topic yet but good for UBER.

The TTC is having the wrong mentality on the topic. Those neighbourhoods that are targeted by Uber and other similar companies are underserved by the TTC. Not only is capacity an issue, but the service is excruciatingly slow and unreliable. Instead of focusing on fighting Uber legally, they should focus on improving the service so UBER wouldn't stand a chance.

They could improve King, Queen, Dundas, Carlton and Bathurst Streetcar route by having them operate in their own ROW in the downtown core like, Harbourfront and Queensway. What infuriates people the most is routes like St.Clair running in their own ROW still having bunching issues...like 4 streetcars at a time and no service for 15 minutes??? It force me to use Uber to make sure I'm not late for work when that happens and don't get me started with the subway who's unacceptably slow between Eglinton and Sheppard-Yonge.

TTC has all the tools to make improvement and with some creativity, the $money$ issue can be worked around.

Starting to seriously question this monopoly scheme and hope Metrolinx gets much more involve in transit within the city.

I didn't have time to read comments on this topic yet but good for UBER.

The TTC is having the wrong mentality on the topic. Those neighbourhoods that are targeted by Uber and other similar companies are underserved by the TTC. Not only is capacity an issue, but the service is excruciatingly slow and unreliable. Instead of focusing on fighting Uber legally, they should focus on improving the service so UBER wouldn't stand a chance.

They could improve King, Queen, Dundas, Carlton and Bathurst Streetcar route by having them operate in their own ROW in the downtown core like, Harbourfront and Queensway. What infuriates people the most is routes like St.Clair running in their own ROW still having bunching issues...like 4 streetcars at a time and no service for 15 minutes??? It force me to use Uber to make sure I'm not late for work when that happens and don't get me started with the subway who's unacceptably slow between Eglinton and Sheppard-Yonge.

TTC has all the tools to make improvement and with some creativity, the $money$ issue can be worked around.

Starting to seriously question this monopoly scheme and hope Metrolinx gets much more involve in transit within the city.

It's not up to the TTC to build ROWs in the downtown core. It would have to go through the whole political process at city hall, not to mention it could have traffic implications. The only adequate solution over the long run is the DRL, but we all know how well that's been progressing.

The reason the TTC is objecting to this is because they have a monopoly for a reason. UberHop will siphon riders off of profitable TTC routes (like the 504 King), whose profits are used to subsidize unprofitable routes and time periods. If UberHop is successful, they will continue to siphon riders off of more and more profitable TTC routes, leaving the TTC with less money to operate unprofitable routes. Not to mention the traffic congestion that moving people from streetcars into cars will cause. I'm surprised people on this forum don't understand this concept.

It's not up to the TTC to build ROWs in the downtown core. It would have to go through the whole political process at city hall, not to mention it could have traffic implications. The only adequate solution over the long run is the DRL, but we all know how well that's been progressing.

You are right but I haven't seen the TTC push hard enough city council for short term solutions. Yes, it's the city's call but the TTC should have pushed this years ago and never let go of the pressure. King and Queen MUST have their own ROW to accommodate all those new passengers that will need to use the service as the downtown core density is increasing faster than the TTC/City can handle.

I mean when I see all those new condos on St.Clair West being build, I'm like "how the hell will the streetcar line handle this????" What happened with extending St.Clair to Jane or Runnymede? How are they bunching in the first place when they already operate in their own ROW? Why do some operators thinks it's ok to drive at 20 km/h and catch every red lights on purpose???:mad::mad::mad:

Why isn't there more peak hour reserved lanes on crowded bus routes like Montreal is doing???

TTC seriously lacks creativity and always use the "underfunding" scapegoat to all their problems. People are sick and tired of it. Good for Uber

The reason the TTC is objecting to this is because they have a monopoly for a reason. UberHop will siphon riders off of profitable TTC routes (like the 504 King), whose profits are used to subsidize unprofitable routes and time periods. If UberHop is successful, they will continue to siphon riders off of more and more profitable TTC routes, leaving the TTC with less money to operate unprofitable routes. Not to mention the traffic congestion that moving people from streetcars into cars will cause. I'm surprised people on this forum don't understand this concept.

Uber will siphon riders from profitable TTC routes because the service sucks not because paying a premium is the preferred choice for riders. I hate having to use Uber because the TTC lets me down but at least they get me to work on time.

TTC really should just embrace the reality of whats happening in 2015. Sure they have monopoly status but why not instead of wasting time and money fighting them to preserve their meagre services, why not
work out a financial deal with them... like a x% cut from their fares. Win Win. Gives them money; allows for a relief in congestion on the 504 until the flexities roll out. I hate to quote the HK example again, but
back in the 60s/70s the minibus was exactly like uber...."illegal" ops but the city allowed them to operate under regulations and compensation. Ultimately you dont have to look hard to see that it was a most profitable decision.

Uber will siphon riders from profitable TTC routes because the service sucks not because paying a premium is the preferred choice for riders. I hate having to use Uber because the TTC lets me down but at least they get me to work on time.
So we should let Uber operate a transit service illegally, which will make the TTC even worse off, because the TTC sucks? I agree that the TTC sucks, but this doesn't look like a very good long-term option to me.

But is it mass transit? When does transit become mass transit? I guess the lawyers will have fun with that.

And the OP who asked about Porter shuttle had a good point -- is it because that's free that it's allowed?

So we should let Uber operate a transit service illegally, which will make the TTC even worse off, because the TTC sucks? I agree that the TTC sucks, but this doesn't look like a very good long-term option to me.

I think there was a report saying that Uber's impact on TTC ridership would be negligible. If they do take ridership away, I don't see how it would make the TTC worse. They are in serious need of competition or finding more creative managers/transit planners. This Status quo mentality doesn't work in 2015. People have access to information and know full well that the TTC is not even close to what's being done elsewhere.

If they keep staying firm in their position, they have themselves to blame for this

Back