News   Jul 09, 2024
 483     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 537     0 

Subway To Mississauga: Routing

What routing do you believe should be chosen for the Bloor line west of Kipling?

• Total voters
Having a subway go to a mall makes no sense in my opinion UNLESS it already has some sort of transit hub, or one will be built with the subway stop.

No Bloor extension will ever happen on an alignment that bypasses Sherway unless it turns north and heads straight for the airport.

And an extension does not have to go to Sherway. Isn't that obvious???

There is no reason for Mississauga to lobby for any subway extension to Sherway. In fact, it is in Mississauga's best interest for an extension that bypasses Sherway.

But Toronto has to benefit from the extension too. If the rail corridor alignment were to be chosen, it'd be relatively easy to just veer the subway to run adjacent Hwy 427 and the Queensway, then rejoin the CPR corridor just beyond the Mississauga border.

For riders desiring Sherway, or points south of it like Alderwood and Long Branch, we'd be forcing them to endure a longer bus ride from way up at Dundas or Bloor. I also don't see the purpose of a borderline stop situated around those streets. The Queensway/West Mall at least is already a multinodal area (retail/office/condo/hospital/transit terminal) with Dixie Outlet Mall just a short bus ride west.

Isn't there already some kind of plan to have an LRT connection to the Kipling Station via Dundas Street?

It just seems like this project is perhaps too ambitious for something that needs to be complete by 2020. I haven't seen a whole lot of progress.

I wish Mississauga would just come to the table with cash, the way York region did. Then it would compel Toronto and the province to start talking about an extension.

I wish Mississauga would just come to the table with cash, the way York region did. Then it would compel Toronto and the province to start talking about an extension.

Mayor Hazel doesn't want no stinkin' Toronto subway. Think of all the homeless people! And it would put us in debt, which is a big no-no.

Carolyn Parrish wouldn't give me outright support for a subway, but she sounded willing to consider all options and said it depended on funding. She also said she'd look at what's been planned in the past.

I think it's time to start planning it. It will happen eventually.

Mississauga will not be debt free soon anyway, so it doesn't matter about that.
Hazel has also admitted to being very wrong about how the city was going to grow up, and it's design.

Mississauga will not be debt free soon anyway, so it doesn't matter about that.
Hazel has also admitted to being very wrong about how the city was going to grow up, and it's design.

Yet she and the city are still pushing for this dumb Mississauga BRT. Why do something on the cheap when you could just do it right the first time?

The BRT is stupid on it's own, but as a system across the GTA, is very smart.
However, I don't think it should have come before other more important projects in the city.

Considering the other busway plans at York University and along the 407, the Eglinton LRT, and the high ridership of the GO buses at Square One, I don't think the BRT was a bad idea at all. Regional transit does need a lot of improvement, doesn't it? And the BRT doesn't get in the way of any future LRT or subway expansion either. So why complain?

Considering the other busway plans at York University and along the 407, the Eglinton LRT, and the high ridership of the GO buses at Square One, I don't think the BRT was a bad idea at all. Regional transit does need a lot of improvement, doesn't it? And the BRT doesn't get in the way of any future LRT or subway expansion either. So why complain?

Because it's the only thing we got money for, and it's the only thing we could have done without. Both Hurontario and Dundas LRTs rank higher for me.

The more I look at the map, the more I think it would make sense to simply keep the subway on Dundas, include Sherway and terminate at UTM. Stops would be at Sherway, Dixie, Cawthra, Hurontario, Mavis, and UTM. Future extensions would be possible down The Collegeway to Erin Mills and Winston Churchill (if its really, really necessary). This would essentially make the subway a local service for Mississauga. I don’t thinks its worthwhile to connect MCC to the BD line. The Hurontario LRT (or subway down the road) could service the corridor and provide a good connection to the BD line. If the BD line were extended down Dundas instead, travel patterns would probably change with buses connecting to the line instead of funnelling into MCC.

The more I look at the map, the more I think it would make sense to simply keep the subway on Dundas, include Sherway and terminate at UTM. Stops would be at Sherway, Dixie, Cawthra, Hurontario, Mavis, and UTM. Future extensions would be possible down The Collegeway to Erin Mills and Winston Churchill (if its really, really necessary). This would essentially make the subway a local service for Mississauga. I don’t thinks its worthwhile to connect MCC to the BD line. The Hurontario LRT (or subway down the road) could service the corridor and provide a good connection to the BD line. If the BD line were extended down Dundas instead, travel patterns would probably change with buses connecting to the line instead of funnelling into MCC.

If the subway took Dundas, then I'm somewhat in agreement with you. But at the same time, you'd be missing the single largest trip generator in the entire city.

If the subway took Dundas, then I'm somewhat in agreement with you. But at the same time, you'd be missing the single largest trip generator in the entire city.

Serving the Dundas corridor is more important though than serving CCTT. Dundas is much busier than either Bloor or Burnhamthorpe for a reason, the ridership is as high as Yonge in York Region. I also think that the Hurontario/Dundas intersection is just as important a stop as Square One and would be a much better terminus for a subway than CCTT. It is not worth it build a $2 billion plus subway extension just to serve a single location (CCTT).

Small campi like UTM don't generate anywhere near as many trips as one might think...factor in residence dwellers that won't use the line, the fact that people from north, south, and west won't use it, the fact that it'll be empty whenever classes aren't running, including every weekend, etc., and UTM ends up being a very poor place to terminate a subway line. Same with running something out to UTSC. York U is 5 times the size and the Spadina extension is still debatable.

Back