News   Mar 28, 2024
 521     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 337     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 347     0 

steveve's Toronto city model

Wow Steveve! Your model looks amazing!! Very nice update. You have captured the impressiveness that is the Toronto skyline!

It looks like you may have some competition, Steveve. At initial glance, this appears to be for the model at City Hall.

From 2013 City Budget item #223:
"City Council approve the enhanced service priority to update the downtown Toronto and waterfront model and the Program seek receipt of third party donations funding."

Steveve, you should complete your model as soon as you can (but good quality) and show it to City Hall. They might use your model there (but be sure that the model is cordoned off to prevent children from playing with your model). They would pay you enough money to enrol in architecture programs.

I don't think cardboard will be a solid enough material to stand the wear and tear of 2+ decades at city hall. the plastic(?) currently is getting destroyed, yet alone one that would be ruined if someone even spilled their water bottle on it. it would be cool if he got to assist in making a new one though! (made of plastic, of course)

Steve, I don't have a solution re: longevity of cardboard, but you might do some research about the possibility of "dipping" the buildings in some sort of coating that won't warp the cardboard (urethane or other plastic-based material, resin)... maybe someone on this board has a an idea.

Seems like a lot of work not to protect it in some fashion... plus opens up the possibility of painting or other detailing.

Here's an interesting eco-friendly product (no solvents) that I stumbled upon http://www.foodproductiondaily.com/Packaging/New-coating-widens-cardboard-s-applications-says-firm

Last edited:
thanks for all the suggestions!
in all honesty, I'm not even thinking of any long term preservation for the model. it should hold up for at least a few more years (long after I finish it), and finishing it up to me is my end goal. not saying that i might consider it in the future, but I sorta wanna get this project off my hands before ot's too late and I never get to finish it lol. (it's alot harder to find time to built it nowadays)

Anyway, ya, I'm really excited to finally see what city hall comes up with for the model. Hopefully they've seen the ones in Chicago and Shanghai and can take a page or two from them. And ya, they'll most likely be using 3d printing to fabricate them (like the one in chicago). They've been talking about rebuilding it for years, and i guess they finally got the budget to do it!

kicking off 2013, I decided to build simple massing models for 2 of the Theatre Block proposals, 50 Bloor, and the Simcoe towers across from RBC. I mean, they stick out like a sore thumb (I purposely made them grey which, I now sorta regret), but once more finalized designs/approvals are set in place, they'll be tossed in the garbage anyway... for now, it gives an idea of what to expect down the road.

I also decided to go ahead with Harbour Plaza, considering the office portion has started construction. I was hesitant to continue with the residential towers since they haven't even opened sales yet, but i figured that the final design won't be too far off from what we have , considering they already had a design overhaul.

*and ya, I did a really rushed job stitching and cropping the photos. but they'll do for now.

January 22, 2013

8406354263_a53f1b5c2f_b.jpg

8406353213_eeb9af4035_z.jpg

8407445406_d4a1f9e573_c.jpg

8407444670_9232623c62_c.jpg

8406350951_877ab3a354_c.jpg

8406349683_854abe835c_b.jpg

more photos to come...

Wow, Steveve, simply wow!

It means so much to me when I come across people like you who love our city at least as much as I do. In your case it seems like you love Toronto more than I do which I find it hard to believe. :)

I'm really touched. Keep up the good work, the model is stunning!

Thanks ^

Been a long while since any significant updates. But, as of late, massing models for a few towers, (Since I had 2 unused buildings laying around, I placed them as a fantasy development at Bay/College, a two tower condo complex at 185m and 170m. Just a realistic development I could see going up there)

Update April 1, 2013

*Waterpark Place III is missing in the first 3 photos, but is present in the last 2

8611148156_f4e791c75e_c.jpg

8610047215_7400e0f682_c.jpg

8611152598_8d58ed16ed_c.jpg

8610038639_583df65948_c.jpg

8611142428_9108f6559e_c.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure people would pay for a scaled down 3D-printed version of this. I know I would. Great stuff steveve!

This is Stunning!

Do you happen to know the dimensions of the Ritz Carlton Hotel (real life or scaled down)? I've been thinking of creating one.

or

Where do you find the dimensions of all those buildings?

This is so incredible, still.

I hope you find a public place that's willing to take it and display it permanently after you are done!

(I have a collection of ~200 distinct beer bottles - most of them microbrews - and I'm hoping someone will take it from me one day and display it in some form!)

Back