News   Jul 15, 2024
 796     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 932     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 644     0 

Steeles RT

This is my interpretation of the Steeles BRT from Pioneer Village Station to McCowan.
I aped the design of the Metrolinx Hurontario and Finch plans to make it look as official as possible lol.
0AawvHY.jpg

WOW....way to resurrect a more than dead thread.
Is this even possible on Steeles? The only way a BRT can ever work here is BRT Lite with queue jump lanes and even that will be a stretch

Who knows, it is on the 15 year plan, but no details at all other than they want RT on Steeles.

From Pioneer Village to Dufferin is industrial and commercial lots, so ROW should be able to squeezed in, hopefully with the same likeness like the Highway 7 BRT. Problem areas could be the residential frontage for example between Yonge/Bayview and Warden/Kennedy. The bus lanes and stations would probably have to be on the curb because of the lack of space, and may take the space between the existing road all the way up to the sidewalk. Not a lot of space at all, but I think it's doable. Or else, the buses would run in mixed traffic with special restrictions. The buses would have to merge into mixed traffic anyways for Barrie and Richmond Hill line bridge and Highway 404.

Who knows, it is on the 15 year plan, but no details at all other than they want RT on Steeles.

From Pioneer Village to Dufferin is industrial and commercial lots, so ROW should be able to squeezed in, hopefully with the same likeness like the Highway 7 BRT. Problem areas could be the residential frontage for example between Yonge/Bayview and Warden/Kennedy. The bus lanes and stations would probably have to be on the curb because of the lack of space, and may take the space between the existing road all the way up to the sidewalk. Not a lot of space at all, but I think it's doable. Or else, the buses would run in mixed traffic with special restrictions. The buses would have to merge into mixed traffic anyways for Barrie and Richmond Hill line bridge and Highway 404.

Yeah it's interesting that it's right up there in the Big Move. Seems a bit nebulous. Not to say that surface transit improvements across the board aren't needed, but just what kind of RT and how heavy an investment are we talking here. Within 2-4km there'd be Steeles RT, Hwy 7 BRT, and Hwy 407 RT. Then add in Finch West or Sheppard East LRTs, and it does seem a tad rapid transit heavy. Again not to say transit improvement along Steels isn't needed, but feel as though a better option for some northerly crosstown that could be explored would be to somehow connect FWLRT and SELRT...possibly via a reconfigured Line 4.

Should the Steeles BRT come before or after the Finch/Sheppard Crosstown LRT/Subway? Also, since the Eglinton Crosstown seems to be having tiny shelters, it would be highly unlikely that we'll get more than just normal bus shelters for the Steeles BRT. I would expect the Steeles BRT to have more ridership than the Sheppard Stubway in its current form, as the Steeles East and West bus routes are very popular (especially with York Region riders, stupid double fare).

Last edited:
A transit line down the middle of Steeles would seem to me ideal for Metrolinx to own and operate, relieving Toronto and York from having to play nice about (for the most part) who owns and pays for what ;)

This Steeles map is part of my larger region-wide transit fantasy map. When the DRL gets expanded to Don Mills Station, my thinking is that future extension north would go through Warden into Markham downtown, so that's why Warden is an intermodal stop.

This Steeles map is part of my larger region-wide transit fantasy map. When the DRL gets expanded to Don Mills Station, my thinking is that future extension north would go through Warden into Markham downtown, so that's why Warden is an intermodal stop.
I would say that the DRL has potential to go to Don Mills/Steeles (or Hwy 7) and Bloor-Danforth (Line 2) has potential, however small, to go up McCowan to McCowan/Steeles (or Hwy 7). A subway line to Downtown Markham/Markham Centre at the Warden/Kennedy/Hwy 7 area is highly unlikely, even in a Fantasy World. Stouffville RER is happening there at Unionville GO.

The problem with the DRL going from Don Mills/Sheppard all the way to Kennedy/Hwy 7 is the fact that there's no corridor for intensification. Look at the Spadina-University side of Line 1, there is no corridor (besides Allen). Not saying your fantasy world is wrong, just that it's not the most effective.

Pls no hate

I look forward to seeing the big map with everything on it on the Fantasy Maps thread.

Is this even possible on Steeles? The only way a BRT can ever work here is BRT Lite with queue jump lanes and even that will be a stretch
i

Why not? The ROW is wide enough, other than perhaps between Bayview and Yonge. It's a bit of a fantasy project right now (especially since it won't really work until the Yonge subway gets extended) but it's more than feasible. Look at how quickly and easily they expanded Highway 7 in Markham from four lanes to 6 + bus + bike lanes.

Back