News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 998     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 371     0 

Steeles RT

i

Why not? The ROW is wide enough, other than perhaps between Bayview and Yonge. It's a bit of a fantasy project right now (especially since it won't really work until the Yonge subway gets extended) but it's more than feasible. Look at how quickly and easily they expanded Highway 7 in Markham from four lanes to 6 + bus + bike lanes.

well the critical pinch point is donmills to bathurst and that is where theres virtually no space to add more lanes especially from Leslie to Yonge. Even if they put queue jump lanes im not sure the overall effectiveness of a BRT is going to be felt.
Its kind of like the Chicago elevated subway where theres rapid transit but at pinch points youre better off walking.

Well the critical pinch point is donmills to bathurst and that is where theres virtually no space to add more lanes especially from Leslie to Yonge.

There's definitely enough room to take out the centre turn lane and add a second lane between Leslie and Bayview. East of Bayview the bus lanes can probably make it a block or two before they need to build queue-jumping lanes and then there should be enough room past Dudley, although I'd imagine that whatever stop they build at Yonge will be tunnelled.

The real pinch point is Yonge Street. That's the problem with the Steeles BRT - it's useless without a subway extension.

oy making all the roads for the Dundas BRT (probably my next project) is gonnna take a longgggg time

I used Inkscape as the program. I screenshotted google maps multiple times to make a large overall map of the area and then take lotsssssssss of time drawing all the roads, green spaces, and whatnot.
You DREW the roads (not importing)? That's some insane dedication!

Yep no importing, no idea where to find an imported map, also I was too lazy to find one too :p.
I mean I have no school for the summer so gotta do something instead of a job haha. Though a job at the city planner would be sweeeet.

It should be worth mentioning that the city is going to create an underpass at Milliken GO. They are protecting for future rapid transit, and the stops are bveing placed curbside. Stairs and elevators are being provided between the stops and the east and west GO platforms.

epB9Pfw.png

ZBIRnwL.png

In the 2016 YRT/Viva report, it shows Bus Rapid Transit is planned for Steeles Ave.

York Region’s rapid transit system will change the way people travel, once it’s fully implemented across all of York Region’s busiest roads. Bus Rapid Transit is planned to connect segments of existing rapidways along key corridors, such as Yonge Street. On other roads, such as Major Mackenzie Drive, Jane Street and Steeles Avenue, rapid transit will be an entirely new option for travellers.

It compares Steeles Ave to Major Mack and Jane St, which are both going to have curbside Viva Stations (stops). Does this mean Viva is going to run service on Steeles (or even a full on Rapidway), or is it just a part of the $5.2B plan? The map does way *conceptual though.

rDIPH941QKSBneTMLIkcBA.png

From HERE Page 18

Yeah, it's quite ambiguous whether it is curbside or centre-aligned full stations. Probably because the Steeles rapid transit is also further along in the planning schedule.

Also doesn't this project also need to have approval from the city of Toronto too, so this project may take quite awhile.

Also why both Leslie and Woodbine north-south bus rapid transit?

In the 2016 YRT/Viva report, it shows Bus Rapid Transit is planned for Steeles Ave.

Steeles BRT is a part of Metrolinx's Regional Transit Plan, and it would be a TTC service but it'll require some cooperation from York Region for land acquisition. It'll be similar to Yonge Street, with dedicated bus lanes except between Bayview and Yonge where the ROW isn't wide enough. It basically just depends on a Yonge Subway extension (without it the system becomes dysfunctional on Yonge) and a funding commitment. YRT isn't allowed to run service along Steeles (Toronto controls the entire Steeles ROW, including transit service on it) except to connect to the subway system.

Also why both Leslie and Woodbine north-south bus rapid transit?

Viva Green has been a dud, so YRT wants to move it to Leslie where there's lots of employment around Highway 7 and lots of planned employment between 16th and Major Mack (lots of empty land zoned for employment around the Staples head office).

Woodbine is probably on there because YRT plans to significantly increase service in the next few years. I think they want to run buses every 10 minutes during rush hour and every 15 minutes off-peak.

If they go with a curbside lane, both local and express buses can use it otherwise, only express buses could use it. Eventually TTC will turn the 53E/F and 60F into a all day rocket service with all door boarding and POP.

Would that be for a Jane LRT branch as opposed to a Steeles LRT route?
It wouldn’t make sense to make the Steeles LRT to be a branch of the Jane LRT because they go in completely different directions. Jane LRT goes from Jane Station to VMC Station and Steeles LRT goes from Pioneer Village to Milliken GO Station, so they don’t really intersect. It would make sense to connect the tracks from a network perspective (sharing maintenance facilities), but not for revenue service.

Back