News   Apr 15, 2024
 963     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 652     0 

Starbucks

Allergy to caffeine? For a lot of years, I would actually get 'stoned' off coffee. In younger days, we would go to a coffee house before partying on a Saturday night and having one coffee would have been the equivalent of a 'yellow jacket' or 'bennie' for me. I guess over the years, I have built a tolerance to caffeine, but even now I can sometimes tell if I am feeling hyper or aggressive it's because I had a coffee a half hour ago.
Coffee and morning traffic on the Gardiner don't agree with me.
Well it could be an allergy, but who knows.
I get shaky, extremities start to tingle, really bad nausea. Not fun at all.
I can have coca cola and it doesn't happen though.

Admiral Beez even one child is enough.
You can say that again. I didn't even drink coffee until my kids were born, and now I'm addicted. My routine was as follows, I'd stay up with the babies, changing, feedingm burping and cleaning from when I came home from the office at 6pm until mid-night or 1 am. At that point my wife would get up and do the same until 7 or 8am when her mother would take over until I got home from work. This went on for about 6-8 weeks. At my office they had one of those single serving grounding and brew coffee/chocolate machines, which was free of charge, and soon I was drinking four or five mochachinos, cappachinos and expressos. Now I can't stop :)

Right now I'm down here in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina with the wife and kids for sun, sea and surf. Unfortunately the coffee is really bloody awful, and there's no Starbucks within walking distance.

i used to always go to Balzac's Coffee in the Distillery, My last few trips there i haven't been thrilled with the coffee or the service, If i wanted bad coffee and service i would have gone to cheap Hortons

i used to always go to Balzac's Coffee in the Distillery, My last few trips there i haven't been thrilled with the coffee or the service, If i wanted bad coffee and service i would have gone to cheap Hortons
I was impressed with the Balzac's in Liberty Village. The barista worked with care and artistry. The drink was way too strong, but some people enjoy that. Far superior to Second Cup / Timothy swill.

Speaking of Timothy's, I can't walk past their store in the TD concourse without becoming nautious. Their coffee smells like cardboard.

Starbucks Redux

Starbucks Tests New Store Names, Alcohol Sales

By Paul Ziobro, Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

NEW YORK -(Dow Jones)- Starbucks Corp. (SBUX) is scrubbing its name from a Seattle location in favor of the store's street address in a test that could sprout more stores that seem more like the corner coffee shop rather than the global coffee giant.

The store, a former Starbucks that had been targeted for closing, is called 15th Avenue Coffee and Tea. It will also serve wine and beer and host live music and poetry readings as it seeks to take on a more community vibe where neighbors can gather late into the night. Bagged coffee in the store will also be slapped with the 15th Avenue Coffee and Tea name.

The chain plans to remodel at least three Seattle-area stores with names based on their addresses or neighborhood rather than the corporation, and it could expand the trial to other markets.

A Starbucks spokeswoman confirmed the test, first reported Thursday by the Seattle Times, was in the works, but an executive wasn't immediately available to comment on further details.

The test is the latest attempt by Starbucks to rejuvenate its in-store experience with changes like grinding coffee beans for each new pot and simplifying recipes for its muffins and breads. Starbucks is also opening stores with a more sophisticated tone that hearkens back to its early coffeehouse days.

At the same time, the coffee giant continues to face pressure as consumers remain wary in a shaky economy while McDonald's Corp. (MCD), with its recently launched McCafe, and other coffee purveyors pose fresh competition.

Operating a store under a different name could provide a fresh canvas for Starbucks to test a number of elements where consumers won't be biased by the company's name, says Ron Paul, president of Technomic Inc., a Chicago-based food consultancy. "It would only confuse the customer to put Starbucks on it," Paul said.

Serving alcohol like cordials and offering entertainment could help boost night-time business, making it serve more as a dessert destination after meals. Still, attempts at improving the customer experience may be lost on consumers for whom price has become the defining factor in where they spend their money.

"There is that 'third-place' aspect for Starbucks, but that's become less important" for consumers, said Paul, referring to a term commonly used to describe the chain as a gathering place.

Starbucks has been battling falling sales and traffic throughout the recession, causing the once fast-growing chain to shut hundreds of stores and lay off thousands of employees. Its last round of job cuts announced in January sent pink slips to 6,700 workers, while the company closed another 300 stores.

Starbucks shares took a nosedive, hitting a 52-week low of $7.06 last November, though the company's restructuring has helped restore order. The stock has more than doubled since, and is up 52% this year, recently at $14.39.

Next week, Starbucks is scheduled to report third-quarter earnings, with analysts forecasting another period of weak sales while the chain aggressively works to cut costs.

-By Paul Ziobro, Dow Jones Newswires; 212-416-2194; pau

Sounds like they're trying to be a little like MBCo...

Looks like in the past year or two, Starbucks' presence is having a downward trend in Toronto. Off the top of my head, the Starbucks locations at Christie & St. Clair W, St. Clair Gardens & St. Clair W (Corso Italia), Stockyards, and the one on Parliament in Cabbagetown have all closed down.

A downtown location on Front St E in the St. Lawrence market neighborhood closed last year.

Older article from 2018 about Starbucks closures in the US (150 stores):

Every day, over the relatively short distance from Manulife to Bloor station in the concourse level, I walk past three Starbucks. It's excessive, but at least they have long hours - they open very early and close late. The new Pilot at Manulife, on the other hand, opens after I leave in the morning and closes at 7 pm on weekdays, 6 pm on Sat. and Sun.

Rumour in Leslieville is that the Starbucks at Queen & Logan is moving to the old Thirsty Duck spot at Queen & Carlaw and people are upset.

There's lots of pressure from local indie chains, even in the PATH these days. There will always be demand for really subpar coffee, though, so I don't think Starbucks is in danger of getting pushed off the map.

Last edited:

Back