News   Apr 24, 2024
 954     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     0 

Starbucks

Or perhaps it's where our obsession with fast food dies. Never mind the cup, what about standing in line with all those people? What about all of that handling of everything without gloves? What about the handle on the coffee creamer? What about all of those surfaces and door handles?

Or perhaps it's where our obsession with fast food dies. Never mind the cup, what about standing in line with all those people? What about all of that handling of everything without gloves? What about the handle on the coffee creamer? What about all of those surfaces and door handles?
Sounds like OCD-like neurosis and paranoia. Being around people is the new terror?

No matter what you do, you’re going to die. But you can decide how you live, and I refuse to be cowed by a virus that’s infected a tiny number of Canadians. I’m sitting in a Starbucks looking at Niagara Falls, attending an event as I type this.

I guess the sarcasm didn't come through. I think the banning of the cups thing is a knee-jerk reaction for optics.

So now Starbucks and Timmies are refusing reusable cups. Is this where being environmentally responsible dies?

Stack this up with;
- switching from paper bags to plastic for the good of environment.
- switching from glass jars to plastic for the good of the environment.
The more we listen to these activist, the more the environment gets harmed. At least this one they caught early.
I imagine in the future we will be switching from battery cars to internal combustion engine - for the good of the environment.

Starbucks plans to resume operations across Canada

Hanna McLean
Apr 29 2020, 6:35 am

Starbucks Canada has announced plans to resume operations in as many stores as possible by the end of May.

To start, Starbucks will offer drive-thru, delivery, and pick-up only service across the country.

From there, Starbucks will be monitoring and adjusting operations as needed, including making decisions to open additional stores or expanding services such as curbside pick-up or walk-in orders on a “community-by-community basis.”

Starbucks will be working closely with local leadership, health authorities, and the provincial government as the environment and regulations change.

Starbucks will continue to ask all employees to wear facial coverings, maintain physical distance, and sanitize high touch surfaces frequently while working in stores.

Extra cleaning protocols and precautions will continue to be implemented, as well as the use of plexi-shields, which will be installed at the POS so when locations fully re-open the cafes, they are ready.

“The stores which remained open, during COVID-19, have helped the company test and refine new ways of working and new operating models, designed specifically for the current social-distancing environment. The company will now roll this out more broadly,” read the release.

Starbucks reveals strategy to reopen 85% of stores across Canada this month

May 11 2020, 9:37 am

The strategy is multi-pronged. Starbucks Canada is asking that customers follow physical distancing and safety protocols recommended by public health officials.

This includes wearing a facial covering when visiting stores “as an added layer of protection for customers and partners.”

Starbucks employees will also be required to wear a facial covering while working at stores, gloves are available and optional for them to wear as well.

Before they begin their shift, staff members will be required to have their temperature checked, as well as use the COVID-19 Virtual Coach to ensure they are ready and able to work.

In addition to these safety precautions, Starbucks has plans to install Plexi-shields at its POS and expand its grab-and-go offerings.

Last edited:
Before they begin their shit, staff members will be required to have their temperature checked, as well as use the COVID-19 Virtual Coach to ensure they are ready and able to work.

Begin their shit you say...

If that is the case they should also record the duration, consistency and color to ensure they are not ill.

Starbucks to open grab-and-go service at stores across Canada

May 28 2020

Starbucks is taking another step towards reopening its stores fully across the country.

The coffee chain will now be welcoming walk-in and takeout orders, meaning folks can actually step into their local branch and place an order to-go.

---------
By this weekend, two-thirds of stores across Canada will offer grab-and-go service. Starbucks says dine-in seating openings will be determined on a community-by-community basis, and when they are available, expect limited capacities.

Starbucks to open grab-and-go service at stores across Canada

May 28 2020

Starbucks is taking another step towards reopening its stores fully across the country.

The coffee chain will now be welcoming walk-in and takeout orders, meaning folks can actually step into their local branch and place an order to-go.

---------
By this weekend, two-thirds of stores across Canada will offer grab-and-go service. Starbucks says dine-in seating openings will be determined on a community-by-community basis, and when they are available, expect limited capacities.

I noticed this at the RBC Plaza location yesterday. They had arrows on the floor indicating the way out.

Order your edibles and walk out the door to the pickup location.

They put all the fluids in them for you. You can't do it yourself.

So Starbucks seems to be in a wee spot of trouble...

Screenshot_20200610-102348_Twitter.jpg

I'm quite surprised by how many stores they're closing. One theory is that they're anticipating a rise in work from home, leading to less coffee runs to and from the office and during breaks.

I'm quite surprised by how many stores they're closing. One theory is that they're anticipating a rise in work from home, leading to less coffee runs to and from the office and during breaks.
Starbucks is being hit by a bunch of stuff:
1. People working from home therefore fewer need for stores near office nodes or even stores along commuter patterns as people aren't commuting
2. Probably need smaller footprint stores as people may no longer want to sit in a dirty coffeeshop anymore
3. Cut backs in discretionary spending - $5.00 for a latte every day; in this economy?

Starbucks was built around being a third place between your home and office... we're moving into a decade of people just having one place... so where do they fit in? I suspect they'll start opening a bunch of pick up only / drive through locations but does that cheapen their brand, which was somewhat elevated, vis-a-vis Dunkin and Tim Hortons? Interesting business problem tbh!

Starbucks is being hit by a bunch of stuff:
1. People working from home therefore fewer need for stores near office nodes or even stores along commuter patterns as people aren't commuting
2. Probably need smaller footprint stores as people may no longer want to sit in a dirty coffeeshop anymore
3. Cut backs in discretionary spending - $5.00 for a latte every day; in this economy?

Starbucks was built around being a third place between your home and office... we're moving into a decade of people just having one place... so where do they fit in? I suspect they'll start opening a bunch of pick up only / drive through locations but does that cheapen their brand, which was somewhat elevated, vis-a-vis Dunkin and Tim Hortons? Interesting business problem tbh!

Me personally I gave up on Starbucks. When the pandemic hit I was going to Starbucks daily for my espresso but once Covid hit I used my Keurig more.

Long story short I no longer go to Starbucks daily

Starbucks took a $3 billion hit to their revenues during the pandemic (their fiscal Q3):

Back