News   Apr 25, 2024
 361     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Starbucks

Cabbagetown was already quite renovated and trendy, with artists designers and media people living there, when I moved here in 1970 - that pocket east of Parliament and north of Gerrard in particular. Your beloved straight, middle class consumers are always ten or fifteen years behind the curve.

Query whether people in home costing over a million bucks count as middle class anymore. Cabbagetown (and increasingly, Almost Cabbagetown, aka the SOB - Seaton, Ontario and Berkely streets) isn't a neighbourhood of paupers.

As the Admiral will no doubt agree, generally speakin', the people (you know, the "real" people, the ones who own 800k to 1100k Victorians) who live in Cabbagetown... don't shop in Cabbagetown. There's the rub. Parkdale redux.

We paid just over $290K for our five bedroom semi on Sackville Street in 1998. If we sold it today, we might get over $400K, but likely not until we replace the 1920's kitchen and single bathroom with more modern fittings. With my high-five or low-six figure salary and a stay-at-home spouse and two young kids, that's hardly rich, and certainly middle class.

Cabbagetown has a way to go before it's Rosedale South.

People who bought in that neighbourhood ten years ago may today own a house valued at $800,000. That does not automatically mean they could afford such a house now.

Well said. My mother-in-law bought their fully detached all-brick two level plus finished basement house in the Beach in the 1960s for under $70,000K. Now it's worth at least $600,000K. How's that for inflation?

About time! I would've thought it would've opened one earlier! It's been such a trendy spot for so long!

how many years before a starbucks enters kensington market? I'm predicting sometime before 1 July 2013. Then there's spadina/dundas area: starbucks there too says I (i hate their coffee btw.) Aroma Coffee in K-market would be fitting. What's the difference between starbuck's and Ideal Coffee? Not much says I--a few pennies perhaps?

I think the one at Dundas and Huron is close enough to serve the market at Spadina, and there's one at Richmond and Spadina too. I think there'd be a case for one near the Second Cup by Augusta and College.

I heard Starbucks is going into the building on the SW corner of Parliament and Aberdeen where the nail salon is now and where the dry cleaner used to be. I assume it would have to expand into the back of the building.

urbandreamer said:
how many years before a starbucks enters kensington market? I'm predicting sometime before 1 July 2013. Then there's spadina/dundas area: starbucks there too says I (i hate their coffee btw.) Aroma Coffee in K-market would be fitting. What's the difference between starbuck's and Ideal Coffee? Not much says I--a few pennies perhaps?

There's already a Starbucks in the Spadina/Dundas area: it's at Dundas and Huron.

Maybe a Starbucks will open in Kensington... but a Second Cup has already lived and died there. It's not a very chain-friendly environment given that most of the surrounding businesses offer higher quality products at lower prices.

I heard Starbucks is going into the building on the SW corner of Parliament and Aberdeen where the nail salon is now and where the dry cleaner used to be. I assume it would have to expand into the back of the building.
That would be great, since my kids start Junior Kindergarten at Winchester Public School in September, so my wife can drop off the kids and get her Vanilla Creme on the walk back....while I'm working hard at the office of course :)

Back