News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 634     0 

St Lawrence Market

GoodGood Cafe are opening a new location at 140A The Esplanade, just east of Lower Jarvis:

GoodGood​

In an email to NOW, GoodGood announced that it will be opening its second cafe in the St. Lawrence neighbourhood on February 24. The new location will also feature a wine bar and patio. GoodGood focuses on making locally made food items more accessible, like Chocosol cacao, Lesser Evil popcorn, Nora seaweed snacks and Honey’s ice cream. GoodGood’s founders also say that they will be opening three more cafe and wine bars in different Toronto locations within the next two months.

140A The Esplanade, @makeitgoodgood

In another STUPID move, we are apparently getting a crosswalk with lights at Front and Frederick. The last time I checked there were traffic lights at Front and Sherbourne and at Front and George, so not sure why we need a crosswalk here.

In another STUPID move, we are apparently getting a crosswalk with lights at Front and Frederick. The last time I checked there were traffic lights at Front and Sherbourne and at Front and George, so not sure why we need a crosswalk here.

Because pedestrians are crossing there rather than at either of those intersections?

When is the YPT expecting to reopen? That seems like it might increase foot traffic.

As discussed last summer, the reconstruction of Wellington was 'paused' as Transportation and ECS (or their contractor) found "unknown underground infrastructure." Despite promises to keep the neighbourhood informed of plans, there is been total silence for several months and both the BIA and the SLNA complained, vigorously! The word last year was that work would restart in spring 2022 but there was (and is) no sign of it. The SLNA wrote a very strong letter to the Mayor and Wong-Tam and just got the response below from the City official looking after the 'communications'.

"In response to your letter dated February 15, I can assure you that City staff are listening and aware of your interest and need for details about the completion of work on Wellington Street. We acknowledge that there has been a delay in us updating community members regarding the progress of this project and start date. In the past several months, staff have been working on a detailed review of the technical drawings with Toronto Hydro in an effort to resolve the underground conflicts identified last year that delayed construction. Unfortunately during this time there was very little to report as technical details were worked out.

I am happy to report that we have just recently resolved the details for the technical drawings and have re-engaged our contractor about the scheduling and costs for the work to continue. We are now in a better place to provide an update about the status of this project. As you mentioned in you communication Councillor Wong-Tam has convened a meeting on February 28th with key stakeholders and project staff to provide an update. We do understand that during the winter months we were unable to provide a clear path to a restart date and we do recognize that this has been frustrating for the community.

Staff are currently in final discussions with our contractor and will speak in further detail on February 28th about the restart date and communication lines. Please let myself or Councillor Wong-Tam's office know if there are any specific items or questions you would like added to the agenda of that meeting so our team will be prepared to provide a response."

The "Fiasco on Wellington" MAY be drawing to a close and the street MAY be completed. Time will tell. (Council asked the Auditor General to look at how this, and other, projects are mismanaged; I understand the AG is taking this up and it will be VERY interesting to see what they find about whose fault it was and how much the delay cost the City (i.e. "us"). (The costs for the restaurants, stores and neighbours are unknown.)

Something new is coming soon to 262 The Esplanade in Berkeley Castle. This is the former home of Mom's & Pop's coffee shop/cafeteria. I can't find building permits or anything else online, the logo looks like a stylized B or P or R with steam or smoke coming off the top... could be a coffee shop? A bakery? Another damn cannabis spot?

coming-soon.png

Something new is coming soon to 262 The Esplanade in Berkeley Castle. This is the former home of Mom's & Pop's coffee shop/cafeteria. I can't find building permits or anything else online, the logo looks like a stylized B or P or R with steam or smoke coming off the top... could be a coffee shop? A bakery? Another damn cannabis spot?

View attachment 381041
No current business licences for that address. I doubt a cannabis store as they have to post signage to alert neighbours.

No current business licences for that address. I doubt a cannabis store as they have to post signage to alert neighbours.
That's reassuring. It's a neat little space with permanent tables out front under some shady trees in the summer, the seniors in the neighbourhood used to spend a lot of time chatting there and drinking 50 cent coffee refills. So it would be nice if something similar filled the space again, though the St. Lawrence Cafe a little to the west is doing a good job as well.

As discussed last summer, the reconstruction of Wellington was 'paused' as Transportation and ECS (or their contractor) found "unknown underground infrastructure." Despite promises to keep the neighbourhood informed of plans, there is been total silence for several months and both the BIA and the SLNA complained, vigorously! The word last year was that work would restart in spring 2022 but there was (and is) no sign of it. The SLNA wrote a very strong letter to the Mayor and Wong-Tam and just got the response below from the City official looking after the 'communications'.

"In response to your letter dated February 15, I can assure you that City staff are listening and aware of your interest and need for details about the completion of work on Wellington Street. We acknowledge that there has been a delay in us updating community members regarding the progress of this project and start date. In the past several months, staff have been working on a detailed review of the technical drawings with Toronto Hydro in an effort to resolve the underground conflicts identified last year that delayed construction. Unfortunately during this time there was very little to report as technical details were worked out.

I am happy to report that we have just recently resolved the details for the technical drawings and have re-engaged our contractor about the scheduling and costs for the work to continue. We are now in a better place to provide an update about the status of this project. As you mentioned in you communication Councillor Wong-Tam has convened a meeting on February 28th with key stakeholders and project staff to provide an update. We do understand that during the winter months we were unable to provide a clear path to a restart date and we do recognize that this has been frustrating for the community.

Staff are currently in final discussions with our contractor and will speak in further detail on February 28th about the restart date and communication lines. Please let myself or Councillor Wong-Tam's office know if there are any specific items or questions you would like added to the agenda of that meeting so our team will be prepared to provide a response."

The "Fiasco on Wellington" MAY be drawing to a close and the street MAY be completed. Time will tell. (Council asked the Auditor General to look at how this, and other, projects are mismanaged; I understand the AG is taking this up and it will be VERY interesting to see what they find about whose fault it was and how much the delay cost the City (i.e. "us"). (The costs for the restaurants, stores and neighbours are unknown.)
Update. The City has just announced that the work on the upgrades on Weĺlington will restart in mid-March and be completed in September. As they totally screwed up in 2021 I reserve judgement!

New chillers last month, new generator this month. 33 Yonge St. should be good for another 20 years at this rate in this disposable society.
260C9CE7-D5AA-4F8C-B6B1-A277120F56D1.jpeg

16BC0B1A-76EF-4886-A342-F31DBE801EA5.jpeg

4F1F9D99-A82C-41D1-8C05-591A470EEEA8.jpeg

1E2E2AA2-4317-4A41-82B7-76650A60F89D.jpeg

Keep the sun shinning on Berczy Park. Taken March 6 at 3:20 p.m.

Back