News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 569     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 871     0 

St Lawrence Market

Sign in the window of bGood today - “Sorry we closed. bGood staff”. No indication if temporary or permanent.

Latest date for completion of external heritage lighting of South Market is 'early September". Apparently they need to do something with the sign over Front Street so it gets lit properly.

UPDATE: July 15. Apparently (though it's a replacement sign), they needed a new sign permit and the application is posted (to August 9). The remaining heritage lighting is all set to be installed once the new sign is up, or so I am told.

St. Lawrence Market South Heritage Lighting Ceremony to be held on Thursday, November 7 at 6:15 pm.

Light up night.
Not much different than May 27 from my perspective except that it is darker earlier.
I didn’t venture down for the 6:15 opening.
D179753E-F099-4B98-8D71-58E8D079FBD5.jpeg
BCD65FD3-DE12-4923-BBD6-2236E5259DED.jpeg
73783960-BB71-4017-97BC-B3F5857BA9B9.jpeg

5E99F117-6441-4B85-84CB-89B71543EDF5.jpeg

Nice lighting upgrade. Is this a one-off or part of that St. Lawrence neighbourhood beautification project developed, oh, a decade or so ago now? Typical Toronto - big, ambitious plans announced after a nauseating amount of time spent on design, discussion, debate, consultation, revision, submission, and approval, only for years or even decades to pass with complete silence before something happens, if ever...

Nice lighting upgrade. Is this a one-off or part of that St. Lawrence neighbourhood beautification project developed, oh, a decade or so ago now? Typical Toronto - big, ambitious plans announced after a nauseating amount of time spent on design, discussion, debate, consultation, revision, submission, and approval, only for years or even decades to pass with complete silence before something happens, if ever...
It is another example of the slow work to implement the Heritage Lighting Master Plan for Old Town Toronto. This Plan is NOT funded but sets a path forward and allows the City and others to seize opportunities. Next up is the lighting of St James Cathedral which was funded to a large extent through Section 37 $$$. The wiring is happening now and the building should be lit by Christmas. Next is maybe the Young Peoples Theatre on Front St. The Plan also deals with STREET lighting and this part is going less well, as it involves Toronto Hydro.

Paramount Fine Foods restaurant (@ Front @ Market) has "Closed Permanently".

The (fairly new) BlueStone Lane cafe on King @ Leader Lane is papered over and probably closed. (I guess they over-estimated the market for expensive avocado toast.

I wonder if they'll get away with something tall here, considering the park across the street.

No idea what they are going for........all I ask is that they lose the concrete bunker look/feel and come up with something complimentary to the row of heritage storefronts.

That does not mean cheezy POMO! I honestly wouldn't mind if they put the time and money into an authentic heritage reproduction, but I'd be entirely happy with something that was simply a better fit
in terms of massing, glazing, and use of some warm materials such as brick and wood, at least as accents.

Back