547     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 396     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 584     0 

St Lawrence Market

Sunday, December 27, 2020

Happy Holidays to all!

It appears as though the dome will not be lit in the end as all the other exterior lights seem to have been replaced. DSC, can you please confirm whether or not this is still coming?

The nighttime lighting scheme feels incomplete without the dome and clock faces lit from within.

View attachment 291257View attachment 291258

The finials, roof, and windows above the pediment, should also be illuminated.

Interesting to note, from the article, that the owner of Betty's is in on the new place:

Michael Sullivan, who for 12 years ran Victor restaurant in the Le Germain Hotel on Mercer Street, was forced to close the business. He’s decided to face the new pandemic reality head-on and has partnered with Alex Bartlett, the owner of Betty’s on King Street East, to create a brand-new restaurant-takeout-kitchen hybrid.
That sounds like a waste of a great patio!

Property for sale listing for the Tom Jones Steakhouse building at 40 Colborne. Also includes some interior photos:

The value of that building had a peak-moment when 65 King East was under development (the design/assembly).

Now, the building is surrounded and there is no redevelopment opportunity.

Its 'listed' today; but not designated; but that doesn't change much.

Worth noting though, it wasn't listed when 65 King was being contemplated.

Interior looks like a steakhouse straight out of the 60's, with no updates since then, which is exactly how I imagined it looks inside (never been there). Fascinating.

I ate at the old Hy's on Richmond many a year ago, and always had that as a reference point for classic steakhouse.

It had very dark wood, and a very formal vibe.

I might have assumed the same for this place which I never did dine in.............but the tones are much lighter than I would have thought.

Interior looks like a steakhouse straight out of the 60's, with no updates since then, which is exactly how I imagined it looks inside (never been there). Fascinating.

Actually with that said, I've become so cabin fevered that I'd just wanna hit up something very dated and old school like the Maddy or Paupers Pub right now.

Actually with that said, I've become so cabin fevered that I'd just wanna hit up something very dated and old school like the Maddy or Paupers Pub right now.

I totally get that. Nostalgia is a powerful force, especially during difficult times. It's like comfort food.

I lament the fact that there are virtually no places left in Toronto that are unchanged from when I was a kid in the 80's.

I totally get that. Nostalgia is a powerful force, especially during difficult times. It's like comfort food.

I lament the fact that there are virtually no places left in Toronto that are unchanged from when I was a kid in the 80's.

90's kid here, but yeah there are definitely less and less places that remain the same from back in the days. Up in my area, St. Clair/Corso Italia has only about a couple original places left, as most of the previous generation of Italians have retired. Chinatown has gone through quite the retail turnover in the recent decade, and probably a only small handful of places still around from the 90's.

College Street is pretty much a newer crowd nowadays except for Cafe Dip and Bitondo's just south of the main strip. On Dundas maybe just the Lakeview Cafe but their presence has mostly been revitalized by the hipsters and late night goers in the area.

In terms of general downtown and topically for this thread, maybe the Old Spaghetti Factory on Esplanade.

In terms of general downtown and topically for this thread, maybe the Old Spaghetti Factory on Esplanade.

Much like the Organ Grinder before it I'm surprised the Old Spaghetti Factory has not closed its doors.

It's very much geared towards kids and tourists both of which are in short supply right now. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a covid casualty and quite frankly I don't think anyone would notice or even care.

Much like the Organ Grinder before it I'm surprised the Old Spaghetti Factory has not closed its doors.

It's very much geared towards kids and tourists both of which are in short supply right now. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a covid casualty and quite frankly I don't think anyone would notice or even care.
I had lived in St Lawrence for many years and avoided the OSF as I too thought it was geared to children and visitors (probably with children). A few years ago I went (with visitors) and was really quite pleasantly surprised. The food is what you would expect but well prepared, well presented and surprisingly well priced. The decor was eclectic and quite amusing. It is actually worth visiting.

I had lived in St Lawrence for many years and avoided the OSF as I too thought it was geared to children and visitors (probably with children). A few years ago I went (with visitors) and was really quite pleasantly surprised. The food is what you would expect but well prepared, well presented and surprisingly well priced. The decor was eclectic and quite amusing. It is actually worth visiting.

Unlimited warm bread w/whipped garlic butter does have its appeal; though one may waddle to the door after dining there!

Also, I'm not a cocktail person.........but their Long Island Ice Tea is dangerous on a warm summer's day..........you can barely taste the booze and down a couple w/o thinking.

90's kid here, but yeah there are definitely less and less places that remain the same from back in the days. Up in my area, St. Clair/Corso Italia has only about a couple original places left, as most of the previous generation of Italians have retired. Chinatown has gone through quite the retail turnover in the recent decade, and probably a only small handful of places still around from the 90's.

College Street is pretty much a newer crowd nowadays except for Cafe Dip and Bitondo's just south of the main strip. On Dundas maybe just the Lakeview Cafe but their presence has mostly been revitalized by the hipsters and late night goers in the area.

I miss movie theatres more than restaurants at the moment; though I miss both; in regards to nostalgia w/the former; I most miss the old Uptown which was just a great place to watch a movie.

In regards to the latter; a place I rarely went but have fond memories of is Oliver's (the beginning of mighty O&B empire.)

It was on Yonge, a bit north of Eg.

I remember Sunday brunch there on a cold winter's morning.

They had a real fire place, it was cozy and warm; and they came around with a selection of fresh buns/rolls from which you could choose and it was one of the first places I had freshly squeezed orange juice and noted how much better it was than the supermarket variety.

That and a Steak n' Caesar on a Sunday morning.........sigh.

Last edited:

Back