News   Apr 18, 2024
 218     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 538     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     0 

St Lawrence Market

From last Friday night. I’m not sure if this is fully operational yet as first posted back in July.

Now that sunset is after my bedtime on Friday night, I have noticed it lit a few more times. Looks really nice.
D99C7DD7-212A-457C-B5EF-49AF5DA85852.jpeg

27E6DD7E-50DC-45CF-938A-60731DF95B7A.jpeg

They are still adjusting the heritage lighting on St James but are getting close to having it all 'sorted out' - it is supposed to be on every night "soon".

While talking about heritage lighting, the City are about to start replacing/upgrading the LED heritage lighting (and the fixtures) on St Lawrence Hall and ensuring that the lights on the Hall will in future match the lights on the Cupola (which preceded those on the Hall.) Work is supposed to start in mid-October and take about 3 weeks.

^^^ It needs more adjustment based on my close view. Some of the lighting is unsteady/unstable as if responding to the wind, which I'm sure isn't the intent here. This is most visible on the western elevation of the cathedral tower.

Last edited:
St. James Cathedral is floodlit again tonight. It's subtle and beautiful but the lighting on the western elevation of the cathedral tower is still fluttering, seemingly with the wind. I hope it's been noted and will be fixed.

The Tilted Kilt on The Esplanade seems to have closed. They were removing all the furniture today.

The Esplanade scene is very reliant on tourists and fans from sporting events. With none of that really happening right now, it's going to be extra rough for those places. Along with the bulk of the financial district crowd absent.

Hope the Bier Markt can weather this storm. And even though I haven't been to them in years, same with the Old Spaghetti Factory and the Keg.

same with the Old Spaghetti Factory and the Keg.

I don't see the Old Spaghetti Factory surviving. They are very much a tourist trap much like the Organ Grinder was. It's that place tourists go for a cheesy atmosphere but locals avoid.

The Keg is iffy but that too I can see closing. The Keg is reliant on people going out and dropping 300 dollars on dinner. It's business model is not designed to withstand a pandemic related closure.

The Tilted Kilt on The Esplanade seems to have closed. They were removing all the furniture today.
They never reopened, even though they had a big patio space there. The Keg and the Old Spaghetti Factory seem to be doing pretty good business.

I also wonder about the Pi Co on Church. It closed and has never reopened. And they are opening another locaton at Church and Carleton.

St. James Cathedral is floodlit again tonight. It's subtle and beautiful but the lighting on the western elevation of the cathedral tower is still fluttering, seemingly with the wind. I hope it's been noted and will be fixed.
The instability with the lighting on the western elevation of the cathedral tower seems to be getting worse. Over the past few days, there was a subtle "wave" but now the lighting is pulsating quite noticeably; it's almost flashing but not quite.

DSC, do you know if the lighting's still being adjusted?

The instability with the lighting on the western elevation of the cathedral tower seems to be getting worse. Over the past few days, there was a subtle "wave" but now the lighting is pulsating quite noticeably; it's almost flashing but not quite.

DSC, do you know if the lighting's still being adjusted?
As far as I know they are still testing.

Thanks, DSC. Glad to hear.
I reported your observation to my contact and his reply should please you!

"We indeed have two flickering lights and hopefully will be addressing this Wednesday.

Thank you and very appreciative of all the feedback."

I assume this means they are testing again on Wednesday!

Back