News   May 17, 2024
 3K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

St Lawrence Market

The space at 106 Front St E currently occupied by Burger King used to be a kitchen/bathroom/bedroom supply shop called High-Tech. It didn't survive (rip-off prices).

Placewares in St Lawrence Market is pretty handy, but its subject to the same terrible business hours as everyone else in the market.

Yeah we used to go to Hi-Tech sometimes as it was handy, but the prices were ridiculous. They seemed to focus mainly on hi-end Umbra stuff. We like Placewares but the hours are limited and it's a tight squeeze in there. Something in the area that's a cross between the two and reasonably priced would probably do quite well. It's a pain to have to go all the way to The Bay or Bed Bath Beyond on Yonge just to buy a potato peeler.

The Coffee Time on the corner of the Esplanade and Princess has closed for good according to a sign on the door. They're cleaning up and removing furniture.

The unit is apparently for lease:
http://rightathomerealty.com/proper...St-Toronto-Ontario-M5A4J6-2Bathrooms-USD3432/

I never thought I'd see the day. It'll be good for property values in the area if anything halfway decent moves in.

Wow, I thought the new owners were turning it around. Have to say, I did miss the 1/2 price donuts after 7pm under the new ownership though. I wonder what could thrive in that location? Perhaps it would be better if it was split into smaller units.

This contract is up for awarding next week:

BD70.1
ACTION

Ward:28

Award of Request for Proposal No. 9118-15-7259 to DIALOG Ontario Inc. for St. Lawrence South Market Lower Level Retail Design
Origin

(February 5, 2016) Report from the Director, Purchasing and Materials Management
Recommendations
The Director, Purchasing and Materials Management recommends that the Bid Committee grant authority to award the following contract:

Call No:

RFP 9118-15-7259

Description:

Professional Services for a design and a tender ready package for new retail in the lower level and under the exterior ramps at

St. Lawrence South Market.

Recommended Proponent:

DIALOG Ontario Inc.

Contract Award Value:

$ 971,922.50 net of all applicable taxes and charges

$1,098,272.43 including all applicable taxes and charges

$ 989,028.34 net of HST recoveries

Contract is expected to start on the date of award and end on December 31, 2017.

This contract is up for awarding next week:

Professional Services for a design and a tender ready package for new retail in the lower level and under the exterior ramps at St. Lawrence South Market

To clarify, is this for the Market Street side, to create retail that matches what's on the west side of the street? I hope so, though this sounds like it may impact the interior vendors as well. Change is good, but I hope the long-term vendors get to stay.

To clarify, is this for the Market Street side, to create retail that matches what's on the west side of the street? I hope so, though this sounds like it may impact the interior vendors as well. Change is good, but I hope the long-term vendors get to stay.
Certainly the west side of the Market along Market Street but maybe also something on Jarvis St side too. They do need more "back of house" space.

Under the exterior ramps? That would be a sub-basement? I'm surprised they'd ever have dug down there in the first place, given the proximity to the lake.

I assume I'm misinterpreting this ...

Under the exterior ramps? That would be a sub-basement? I'm surprised they'd ever have dug down there in the first place, given the proximity to the lake.

I assume I'm misinterpreting this ...
You are. It is the sidewalk-level areas along Market Street and, maybe , Lower Jarvis. Below the external 'ramps' or walkways at the level of Front Street.

Are you interested in development and urban design? OK, you read UT so you probably are.
Do you live in the St Lawrence neighbourhood? (Yonge to Parliament and Queen to the rail corridor.)
Do you live in a building that is a member of the St Lawrence Neighbourhood Association (SLNA)? (See: http://www.slna.ca/slna-members.html )
Are you able to meet once a month from about 3.30pm to 6?

If you answered "YES" to all of these questions you may want to join the SLNA Development Committee. This group meets monthly with City Planning staff, developers and others and tries to influence the development of St Lawrence. (See: http://www.slna.ca/slna-news-pdfs/SLNA Guidelines revised July 2014.pdf )

Interested? Contact president@slna.ca

Last edited:
The entire building at 190 Richmond Street East is for lease. This is the building at the north-west corner of Richmond and George, currently housing the auto body repair shop and the dance studio. Renderings look great and would be a significant improvement. I always thought that this would be a development site, so glad to see that they are keeping, and investing in, the existing structure:

http://www.rkf.com/lease-property-detail/id/1155/190_Richmond_Street_East-Toronto-ON/

The entire building at 190 Richmond Street East is for lease. This is the building at the north-west corner of Richmond and George, currently housing the auto body repair shop and the dance studio. Renderings look great and would be a significant improvement. I always thought that this would be a development site, so glad to see that they are keeping, and investing in, the existing structure:

http://www.rkf.com/lease-property-detail/id/1155/190_Richmond_Street_East-Toronto-ON/
There were certainly development rumours about this building a few years ago - I agree it is good that the owners may be investing in the existing structure. The rendering certainly shows what a coat a of paint and a bit of 'tidying up' can do!

Urbinz at 67 Front St East looks ready to open any day now...

Urbinz was founded on the principle of organizing your life with innovative products. We strive to give you great products at reasonable prices.

Back