News   Jul 24, 2024
 239     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 487     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 407     0 

St Lawrence Market

The illumination of the St James Cathedral is, apparently, the next priority for the Cathedral. The new owners of the Flatiron Building are also interested in seeing their building illuminated and the City is looking at Section 37 funds to illuminate more of the public buildings, like the Young Peoples' Theatre. If you want to encourage this use of Section 37 funds I suggest you email Pam McConnell at councillor_mcconnell@toronto.ca

I emailed her about a year ago and never got a reply.

Yes, they were hosing off the patio today and the Pizza Hut next to it is moving along well too.

Sorry to go off topic but, what the heck happened to Pizza Hut's crust? I remember in the 90s that it was amazingly crispy. I used to love grabbing pan pizza's for lunch, when I was in school, but now their crust is so soft and nasty. Did they switch recipes?

Sorry to go off topic but, what the heck happened to Pizza Hut's crust? I remember in the 90s that it was amazingly crispy. I used to love grabbing pan pizza's for lunch, when I was in school, but now their crust is so soft and nasty. Did they switch recipes?

I dont really ever get their pizza, but to further drive things off topic, I freakin' LOVE Pizza Hut's Buffalo Burnin' Hot Wingstreet wings. I'm looking forward to that in the neighbourhood. We already have plenty great pizza places.

Last year the City and Hydro (with funds from the BIA) installed very nice "Victorian" lights on Front Street East from Jarvis to parliament. So far at least seven have been knocked over. All break at the 'weak point' - the bolts that secure the pole to the concrete base. Clearly the design needs some work and at least they need a design that can be repaired when this (inevitably) happens. At present I understand that when the area around the bolts breaks the whole pole is 'scrap". Out tax dollars at work, eh! (Of course Hydro are VERY slow at replacing these decorative lights - The Fixer in the Star recently discovered that Hydro only orders replacements once a year and appears to greatly underestimate the need.)

Last edited:
Last year the City and Hydro (with funds from the BISA) installed very nice "Victorian" lights on Front Street East from Jarvis to parliament. So far at least seven have been knocked over...

Yes, I've noticed the same thing. Some of the lights were never installed straight, and some of them were knocked over by idiot drivers doing rushed 3-point-turns. I'm disappointed by this, just as I'm disappointed that they've resumed the normal practice of digging up the nice new sidewalks and patching them with asphalt, and that all the plantings in the new bump-outs have been abandoned and left to die and be strangled by weeds, even those on Front East close to the market. How embarrassing that tourists see this.

I really try hard to be an optimist about the changes in Toronto but it's always the little things like this that have me pulling my hair out.

Last edited:
How do they break ?

How do they break ?
I assume they are all knocked by cars or trucks but it clearly does not take much pressure. I saw a truck bumping one (elsewhere) a few months ago, one of the pole bolts broke and the pole leaned over but I could see no obvious damage to the truck.

Only in Toronto? Eh!

Today I was a the Front Street No Frills and got into a conversation with a woman from Boston who was there with her son specifically to see with her own eyes the shopping carts that one has to put a quarter in to use. (A Canadian teacher had talked about them at her son's school.) She seemed to think that these were only found in Toronto. I am pretty sure I have seen them elsewhere in Canada and elsewhere in the world but .... Are they really only a Toronto thing?

She and her son took several photos of these strange things and I then encouraged them to widen their tourist horizons. Even if they are a unique Toronto thing I think we really do have more interesting tourist attractions.

The patched sidewalk irks me so much ...... Particularly given the area looked nice / decent and was just done ..

Only in Toronto? Eh!

Today I was a the Front Street No Frills and got into a conversation with a woman from Boston who was there with her son specifically to see with her own eyes the shopping carts that one has to put a quarter in to use. (A Canadian teacher had talked about them at her son's school.) She seemed to think that these were only found in Toronto. I am pretty sure I have seen them elsewhere in Canada and elsewhere in the world but .... Are they really only a Toronto thing?

She and her son took several photos of these strange things and I then encouraged them to widen their tourist horizons. Even if they are a unique Toronto thing I think we really do have more interesting tourist attractions.
I've seen them in Hamilton.

They have them in lots of airports for luggage carts.

I don't think they're that unusual, lol.

Only in Toronto? Eh!

I have seen UK and Australian references to this type of thing (especially products that provide a coin-sized item that can be used in lieu of an actual coin -- not to cheat, just so that you always have one handy on your keychain) so it's definitely not just a Toronto thing. However I don't know how common it is in the United States.

Because things like this make me curious, I googled a bit. ALDI, a US chain with over 1300 stores, uses grocery carts that require a 25 cent deposit. There are ALDIs in Massachusetts, although not in Boston.

In the UK, the deposit is usually a pound.

A Wikipedia entry says it's more common in Canada and the UK than in the US. It's also apparently common in Germany as there is an entry in a German tourism guide about it :)

Last edited:

Back