News   May 07, 2024
 82     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 684     3 
News   May 07, 2024
 462     0 

St Lawrence Market

Improvements coming to Lower Sherbourne. The City will be rebuilding Lower Sherbourne (King to Queen's Quay) in the summer and continuing the bike track further south. The two right turn channels just south of the rail bridge will be eliminated, which will greatly improve pedestrian and cyclist safety. See details at: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2014.TE30.65 Other improvements deal with better lighting, buried wiring, more trees etc. At the moment GO and Metrolinx are repairing the rail bridge and the Hydro and City work will start when this is finished.

Improvements coming to Lower Sherbourne. The City will be rebuilding Lower Sherbourne (King to Queen's Quay) in the summer and continuing the bike track further south. The two right turn channels just south of the rail bridge will be eliminated, which will greatly improve pedestrian and cyclist safety. See details at: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2014.TE30.65 Other improvements deal with better lighting, buried wiring, more trees etc. At the moment GO and Metrolinx are repairing the rail bridge and the Hydro and City work will start when this is finished.

Glad to see they're planning on removing the dedicated right hand turn lanes! One less barrier to cross to get to and from the waterfront.

There's a liquor license application in the window of the former Nicholas Hoare bookstore on Front Street East - opposite Berczy Park. It's a numbered company with no name, yet.

There's also a new building permit related to a Burger King for the address 106 Front St E, which is the former site of Hi Tech Kitchens, next to the Jason George pub. Assuming this is not actually meant to be 106 Front St W (there's probably some foodcourts around there) then I guess this makes sense, as McDonald's is right across the street. Was hoping for something more exciting, though.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Under Review

TORONTO ON M5A 1E1

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 118149 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Feb 19, 2014

Project: Restaurant Greater Than 30 Seats Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to Burger King, on ground floor to construct new partition walls.

There's also a new building permit related to a Burger King for the address 106 Front St E, which is the former site of Hi Tech Kitchens, next to the Jason George pub. Assuming this is not actually meant to be 106 Front St W (there's probably some foodcourts around there) then I guess this makes sense, as McDonald's is right across the street. Was hoping for something more exciting, though.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Under Review

TORONTO ON M5A 1E1

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 118149 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Feb 19, 2014

Project: Restaurant Greater Than 30 Seats Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to Burger King, on ground floor to construct new partition walls.

Well it does fit with their strategy of letting McDonald's do all the market research to find the optimal location for a restaurant, then opening a BK as close to it as possible. I for one, welcome the possibility of late night $1.59 whopper jr's to our neighbourhood. :)

Found the answer to my own question. They are installing fiber cabling along The Esplanade.

9agmpaz.jpg

The hoarding came down today on 231 King St E, the former home of Dinetz kitchen supplies, and more briefly, Urban Amish. The building looks nicer than before, in particular the wooden door is of very high quality, although you can't see it properly in my dim photo. No word on what's going in here: Urban Amish had a liquidation sale and vanished a few months ago. There's a 2013 building permit to "convert existing retail space to office", but the ground floor still looks like it will be retail to me.

dintez.jpg

Attachments

• dintez.jpg
    dintez.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 577
I noticed that wooden door the other night. It does look sharp.

I know that there are lawyers in the offices upstairs.

Could this building be called a Block Buster?

Regards,
J T

I agree, but they could have done as did Don Lake & Co, paint exempted.

Regards,
J T

I agree, the previous incarnation had nothing going for it. It seems to have already been the victim of various renos that were less thorough than this latest one. At least the current one is sleek and modern, it provides a bit of contrast to the historic buildings around it.

On that note, does anyone know the date of construction of that D & E Lake building at 239 King E? I can't find any information, it looks pretty old and the D & E website refers to it as "Victorian" but is not a heritage property so perhaps it's newer than it looks. Just to the left are 241/243 and 245/247 which are both heritage and dated 1879.

Been trying to research this strip a bit and finding it hard to get concrete info on any building that isn't in the heritage index. But it's fascinating looking through the Toronto Directories from the late 1800s and early 1900s to see all the uses for these few buildings: bicycle shops, clothiers, tailors, scrap metal, confectioneries, Chinese restaurants, Chinese laundries, hardware stores, shoe stores, cigar stores...

Back