Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I believe Smart Centres head office is in a building nearby. I'm sure that gave way to the naming rights sales pitch.

This is all very old news.
SmartCentres does have its office nearby, close to Highway 400, because they own basically the entire quadrant from Jane to 400, north of 7 (ie almost everything you can see below). Ergo, as part of the land swap, allowing YRT to build a terminal on their land, they sold the naming rights.
(I think the penguins etc. look kind of dumb, personally, but there is a reasonable story as to how this happened.)

It's also been mentioned upthread here and/or in a VMC thread, that development is so far ahead of schedule that SmartCentres and WalMart are looking to break their lease so WalMart will close - allowing for redevelopment adjacent to the station - and relocate to the present SmartCentres HQ. SmartCentres would then relocate to an office closer to Jane. I think that speaks volumes about the intensification underway there.
1542835307658.png

Last edited:
SmartCentres does have its office nearby, close to Highway 400, because they own basically the entire quadrant from Jane to 400, north of 7 (ie almost everything you can see below). Ergo, as part of the land swap, allowing YRT to build a terminal on their land, they sold the naming rights.
(I think the penguins etc. look kind of dumb, personally, but there is a reasonable story as to how this happened.)

It's also been mentioned upthread here and/or in a VMC thread, that development is so far ahead of schedule that SmartCentres and WalMart are looking to break their lease so WalMart will close - allowing for redevelopment adjacent to the station - and relocate to the present SmartCentres HQ. SmartCentres would then relocate to an office closer to Jane. I think that speaks volumes about the intensification underway there.View attachment 164520
Don’t forget demolishing the relatively new SmartCentres HQ and the building next to it for Walmart to build a new Supercentre.

It's also been mentioned upthread here and/or in a VMC thread, that development is so far ahead of schedule that SmartCentres and WalMart are looking to break their lease so WalMart will close - allowing for redevelopment adjacent to the station - and relocate to the present SmartCentres HQ. SmartCentres would then relocate to an office closer to Jane. I think that speaks volumes about the intensification underway there.View attachment 164520
SmartCenters HQ is moving to the former Home Outfitters / Future Shop building, at Hwy 7 / Millway Ave.

Don’t forget demolishing the relatively new SmartCentres HQ and the building next to it for Walmart to build a new Supercentre.

Not just that they are also demoing the relatively new Kumon head office which is already empty. Kumon has already moved to a Hwy 27 location.

Have to think the days are numbered for the Lowes Plaza as well.

Lowe's is set a bit further back so it's probably got 5 years or so.
I'm most curious to see what will happen on the south side of 7. I mean, that AMC building has been empty for years already. How can it not be ripe for being turned into a condo?

Lowe's is set a bit further back so it's probably got 5 years or so.
I'm most curious to see what will happen on the south side of 7. I mean, that AMC building has been empty for years already. How can it not be ripe for being turned into a condo?

Agreed about the AMC spot. Even the neighboring Entertainment complex.

I guess they don't want to put too many condo units up too quickly.

zoning perhaps?

Vaughan is updating it's zoning but, nah. All that land is designated as part of Vaughan Metropolitan Centre. They could ask for 35 stories and get it without the City batting an eye. I assume it just has to do with land ownership and their own senses of phasing. Because SC owns all the land on the north side, they did a master plan and are rolling it out, building by building (albeit faster than expected). I think it's more fragmented on the south side, though we've started seeing applications there. I expect Dave & Buster's and Ikea to be there for a while but that AMC is just a huge eyesore.

Two key parts of the VMC hub were not finished when the subway opened: the interchange with the Vivaway on Highway 7 and the SmartCentres bus terminal.
Are the escalators, etc. done at the busway station?
More importantly, what’s the holdup on the bus terminal? Now pushed to “2019”

Two key parts of the VMC hub were not finished when the subway opened: the interchange with the Vivaway on Highway 7 and the SmartCentres bus terminal.
Are the escalators, etc. done at the busway station?
More importantly, what’s the holdup on the bus terminal? Now pushed to “2019”
The elevators were finished. Most likely holdup iirc is money.....or lack thereof

Back