Southcore Financial Ctr: PricewaterhouseCoopers Tower (18 York St, bcIMC, 26s, KPMB)

is that a matte black lambo?! what a beautiful batmobile of a car.

from today
20101106121.jpg

cmon guys... look at the uppermost floor.. its flat and thicker than the rest of the floors... unfortunately this appears to be the end.
The crane jacking is likely for the fin feature on the south-east corner...

I'd kill to have they add more floors :(.. This one shoulda been the height of 16 york.

It's so dull and featureless, I'm glad it will be no taller. Its saving grace might be the southeast corner, we'll see.

Surely one can build a dignified looking glass office building (dignity and solidity being what accounting firms want to project most, even ones that count the Oscar™Â® ballots) and still have something that creates some visual interest. Some complain about the lack of visual delight in KPMB's Maple Leaf Square kitty corner from this project, but it's pure riot compared to their PwC Tower so far.

Not my favourite building but it lends to the wonderful new density south of the tracks. I especially like how the wall has formed behind Union when you're on Front St. E.

IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2156.jpg

it seems to square to me, it kind of looks to short for how wide it is. its dissapointing that we're not getting more floors. it might have made it look more complete....i've said it before and i'll say it again, i love the glass

I'm glad this whole area was developed, but we could have seen some much stronger buildings here...
MLS could have been way better with some nicer cladding/colours. the mechanical boxes add insult to injury.
Telus and 18 york are okay in adding density, but man, they look like suburban commercial office towers. not slim, just a big fat box.
I think they went VERY CONSERVATIVE when designing Telus/18 york (height and design). but the height is perfect for leading up to the climax which is ICE/MLS.

press release from today, including comments about the next phase (Bremner Tower)....

RSA Canada Confirmed as Southcore Financial Centre's Newest Tenant

TORONTO, Nov. 9 /CNW/ - British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (bcIMC) announced today that RSA Canada has signed a long-term lease for 108,000 square feet of office space at 18 York Street, the first of two office towers at Southcore Financial Centre (SFC), a major mixed-use complex being built in Toronto's emerging southcore financial district.

RSA Canada joins PricewaterhouseCoopers, anchor tenant at 18 York Street which is scheduled for completion in the fall of 2011. The tower is now 78% leased.

"We are delighted to welcome RSA Canada to SFC and are pleased they have chosen our building for their corporate headquarters," said Chuck Swanson, Vice President, Real Estate, bcIMC. "The complex's unique location and connection to Union Station and the Metro Toronto Convention Centre makes SFC a leading new address for business."

Encompassing a full block in the southern part of downtown Toronto from York Street to Lower Simcoe Street, and within walking distance of King and Bay, SFC will include 18 York Street and two soon-to-be constructed buildings: the 30 storey, 700,000 sq. ft. Bremner Office Tower and a new generation, premium 4-star Delta Toronto hotel. SFC is targeting LEED Gold certification and is designed by the award-winning firm KPMB Architects.

RSA Canada, a leading property, automobile and commercial insurance group, expects to relocate to the new office in 2012. The relocation by RSA Canada moves the company's head office from 10 Wellington Street East.

"We are excited about moving our head office to 18 York Street," says Rowan Saunders, President and CEO of RSA Canada. "This move is good for our employees, strategic partners and the environment. Our relocation underscores RSA's progress, strength in the market and continued focus on corporate responsibility. As soon-to-be the fourth largest P&C insurer in Canada, it's imperative that we have a new location that can keep up with our growth and business needs while offering the best amenities to our people."

The project is being developed by GWL Realty Advisors Inc. with the ground breaking for the next phase scheduled later this year. The full block is scheduled for completion in 2014.

To learn more about Southcore Financial Centre, visit www.southcore.ca.

Once those other towers go up to the west of it, and the office tower (plus Ice) to the south, it'll really just be a decent streetwall filler. It's boring, but at least the glass is high quality and the building is providing more office rather than condo space.

Back