News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 773     0 

Sobeys

why didn't they keep that expansion consistent in design with the rest of that section of the building? All they would have really needed to do is make that newexterior taller by a few inches, and add those concrete tiles at the top of those windows. Then it would have looked like the rest of the setbacks up higher.

Just went and had a peek inside. Only bare concrete floors. It doesn't look like they'll be opening in August as I thought. Oh well, at least the Sobeys Express has a flyer now.

The store, which is still under construction, is officially advertised as an "Urban Fresh" location.

So far as I know, Sobeys has 2 buying groups in Ontario.

One is 'Ontario'; the other is 'Urban Fresh'.

Urban Fresh is roughly the dozen stores closest to Downtown Toronto.

The furthest out at the moment being the Laird Drive store in Leaside; and Broadview/Mortimer.

The UF designation essentially gives them access to a different/larger list of products, mostly gourmet/higher end as well as organic and local (not enough of 'x' to be carried Ontario-wide)

UF has access to 'Drew's salad dressings, Acropolis and Christine Cushing Olive Oils; etc etc.; which best as I can tell aren't available at most Sobeys.

They also typically have a bit more focus on the prepared foods sections.

IMG-20110906-00127.jpg

I think Sobeys has pulled the plug on their "express" banner a few years ago.

Store's grand opening will be early October, lots of activity on site.

Attachments

• IMG-20110906-00127.jpg
    IMG-20110906-00127.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:
I know that stock has been going in the store this week, and that all things being equal (no major catastrophe or something), it is slated to open on Friday.

I stopped there this morning to pick up breakfast items, and it is very nice and quite large. I didn't have much time to check the selection, but they really don't have enough checkout lines... I'm consistently amazed at how little attention is paid to basic customer service these days.

Sobey's, take 2: I live in ROCP and needless to say, I was really looking forward to having another option for grocery shopping. I once went to the Sobey's on Yonge St. between College and Wellesley; I liked it until it was time to pay and I had to wait in line for 15 minutes. I never returned. Well, it's the same thing at the College Park store. That place was designed to cram as much merchandise as possible, with no regard to the basic notion that once customers have selected their items, they want to leave. This afternoon, at least 20 people were waiting in line. I turned right back out and went to Metro, where there were twice as many cashiers and a completely redone produce section (coincidence? I think not).

Sobey's, take 2: I live in ROCP and needless to say, I was really looking forward to having another option for grocery shopping. I once went to the Sobey's on Yonge St. between College and Wellesley; I liked it until it was time to pay and I had to wait in line for 15 minutes. I never returned. Well, it's the same thing at the College Park store. That place was designed to cram as much merchandise as possible, with no regard to the basic notion that once customers have selected their items, they want to leave. This afternoon, at least 20 people were waiting in line. I turned right back out and went to Metro, where there were twice as many cashiers and a completely redone produce section (coincidence? I think not).

I live in ROCP as well and I'm actually pretty impressed with the place having hit it last night and this morning. Good selection, better prices and fresher food(s). A very busy Saturday morning with all cashiers open and there was absolutely no waiting. Our disdain for Metro had us gleefully waiting for the opening of Loblaws at MLG as a closer alternative to buying decent meat and fruit when not having time to run to St. Lawrence. What was most impressive was we asked the meat stocker if they had Duck and he returned a few minutes later and said "no, but we can order it in for you" - you won't get that at Metro.

I personally think Metro is going to have a hard time when Loblaws opens up next month - grocery retailing just became a blood-sport in downtown Toronto and if Metro College Park doesn't up their game the food court will have a really big space to expand into soon.

tm

Back