News   Jun 24, 2024
 48     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 365     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 5.1K     6 

Sobeys

Agree with the overall comments - this is a great store and a needed addition to the area. The wine store is great too !!

My only complain is the price of their coffee. My wife and I stopped in the other evening. Two large cups of coffee (regular coffee) cost me over $5.00. The coffee itself tasted weak but to me there is no excuse or reason that grocery store coffee should cost more than 2 Venti sized coffee's from Starbucks !!!

I'm certain that this neighbourhood could support two grocery stores (a full-size Superstore, preferably).

The aisles in this Sobeys are annoyingly narrow and it's been pretty crowded so far.

The neighbourhood is getting another store soon....there is a large(ish) Longos in the retail concourse of Maple Leaf Square....so one at each end of Bremner!

Sobeys - College Park

Odd new proposal, to me.

In an application filed to the City on behalf of 777 Bay (College Park) for an expansion of 2,700 sq ft; it is stated that the alterations are to accommodate a Sobeys.

What's odd to me, is Metro is already a tenant.

Thoughts?

Definitely an indication that someone knows something the general public doesn't; isn't there supposed to be a condo project going up in the area?

A friend who works there said they have moved tenants around on the ground level and left a large block of empty units available.

Yes, an independent Italian restaurant closed, and a Druxy's and a Cultures moved elsewhere in the complex. They will use their "Urban Fresh" concept. I have a feeling that it will be swamped instantly; not many options in the immediate area.

Sobey's is likely going into Culture's former location across from Rexall / Second Cup. The whole wall is now vacant with advertisements teasing customers about a new tenant coming soon.

Won't it seem weird to have two grocery stores in the same building?

I would have preferred a Boston Pizza or Montana's restaurant.

Last edited:
Sobey's is likely going into Culture's former location across from Rexall / Second Cup. The whole wall is now vacant with advertisements teasing customers about a new tenant coming soon.

Won't it seem weird to have two grocery stores in the same building?

I would have preferred a Boston Pizza or Montana's restaurant.

The office building, ROCP and Aura are owned and manged by Canderal Stoneridge, while College Park is managed by GWL realty advisors. It means that leasing etc are handled by two different companies. So any non compete clause Metro may have for College Park, means lick for 777 Bay and Aura.

The office building, ROCP and Aura are owned and manged by Canderal Stoneridge, while College Park is managed by GWL realty advisors. It means that leasing etc are handled by two different companies. So any non compete clause Metro may have for College Park, means lick for 777 Bay and Aura.

A few technical points here.

RoCP was developed by Canderel. RoCP is owned by the condo buyers and not by Canderel. Canderel might be owning, as an investor, commercial portions. Same is with AURA.

Canderel and GWL realty advisors are two distinct subsidiaries, or at least used to be, of 2 insurance companies -- Great West Life (hence the word GWL) and Aetna insurance company.

As regards Metro, it is good only for quick shopping. Around noon time, quite a bit of the items are gone. And in the late afternoon, there are long line-ups. There is definitely need for another store. And when AURA becomes operational, then, there will be need for another store, perhaps Longos -- on the lines of Longos at MLS.

^I think I recall reading that Canderel had pre-sold the commercial components to, I believe, tada.......GWLRA!

^I think I recall reading that Canderel had pre-sold the commercial components to, I believe, tada.......GWLRA!

You seem to be referring to food court and shops at the lower level of AURA. Haven't heard anything about the 4 storey podium.

Candarel is still the property manager for 777 Bay Street and yes they are the developer, not owner, of ROCP and Aura.

The point I was trying to make is that the complex is not "managed" by one entity - the retail component of 777 Bay is managed by Candarel, as I would assume the retail podium of Aura will be, while College Park is managed by GWL.

Candarel was founded by Jonathan Wener and I believe he's the principal shareholder.

This means that the entire complex, although perceived to be managed by one entity from the publics perspective, is not.

Back