News   Jun 28, 2024
 156     0 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 290     0 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 355     0 

Sobeys

I normally shop at the Queens Quay Loblaws (which is a fairly large Loblaws)...how does the selection at Sobeys compare to Loblaws? Sobeys is a lot closer to me, so if I can do all my regular shopping there I'll definitely switch over (although I'll miss the PC products). If anyone's shopped at both, how do prices compare?

Hours, Prices etc.

Hours: 8am-11pm, 7 days a week

Prices: About the same as other Sobeys, in the Loblaws ballpark on identical items, but they carry many more gourmet type products, 3 Balsamic Vinegars over $27 (but you can still get the $5 one)

Selection: See above, best ever for a Sobeys, lots of gourmet, awesome prepared food choices. Organics, not quite as good as Loblaws, particularly in produce, but getting closer. Housebrand/Private label, not nearly as much choice, but hey, you can't have everything!

Thanks for the summary. Organics was one area that I was interested in especially, so thanks for that info. Sounds like it's at the very least worth checking out on my next shopping trip.

Whole Foods

I'm already a Whole Foods Customer, along with Big Carrot and Pusateri's and many great farmer's markets.

But I live in the east end, not downtown. Its a hassle getting down there. So I always take an interest in getting the major chains to do better.

I know Whole Foods is a U.S. 'major' but at 2 GTA stores and 6 in Canada I don't consider them a major here yet.

If they ever get there oft talked about expansion plans off the ground they might be a real chain here, one day.

I wonder if Metro and Loblaws are going to respond to Sobey's new urban format. I imagine it takes a lot of planning (and $) to get right, and Sobeys seems to have quite a head start.

I wonder if Metro and Loblaws are going to respond to Sobey's new urban format. I imagine it takes a lot of planning (and $) to get right, and Sobeys seems to have quite a head start.

It's not too difficult to get right. They just have to copy T&T. Or take a trip to HK and visit the big supermarket format. Something that's missing is probably Chinese food like T&T but better tasting. T&T chinese food isn't so good. In HK most people don't bother cooking. They just buy combo meals and take them home to eat. If they sold grocery and combo meals, they'll be acting like a fast food restaurant and a grocery store.

Last edited:
I'm certain that this neighbourhood could support two grocery stores (a full-size Superstore, preferably).

The aisles in this Sobeys are annoyingly narrow and it's been pretty crowded so far.

Would a No Frills work in this area? I think at King and Bathurst, a No Frills would make sense. I find the prices at Metro and Sobey's painfully expensive, when 75% of the product they sell is available at No Frills for much less money. (I get the basics at No Frills, the good stuff at indie shops.)

Last edited:
It would be better if there were more neighbourhood-oriented supermarkets instead of the big box supermarkets. That way one can get off their bus or streetcar stop, shop, and go home. Instead of the driving out of your way home to shop, or making a special trip.

Would a No Frills work in this area? I think at King and Bathurst, a No Frills would make sense. I find the prices at Metro and Sobey's painfully expensive, when 75% of the product they sell is available at No Frills for much less money. (I get the basics at No Frills, the good stuff at indie shops.)

With the cost of rental. I doubt No Frills will open at the downtown core.

We generally do our grocery shopping with a ZipCar. I'm curious if there's free parking at the new Sobey's with the purchase of, for example, over $25 of products?

I heard parking is free for the first week of opening

Back