News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

Metrolinx took the concept of Smarttrack and absorbed it into their GO RER plans, looking at 50 station possibilities all over the GO network.

Bloor and Landsdowne was one of the choices that just got confirmed. It will operate on the Barrie GO-RER network.

so one is a smart track station and one is not? because i thought that the smart track "line" was supposed to be on one corridor.

so one is a smart track station and one is not? because i thought that the smart track "line" was supposed to be on one corridor.

Its kind of gotten complicated due to the absorption of Smarttrack into GO RER.

It all depends how "Smarttrack" is implemented from a fare perspective.

They will all use the same trains, however, if "Smarttrack" means a free ride for TTC passengers, then it might only be offered on the originally planned "Smarttrack corridor" (Mount Dennis to Unilever). Or, Metrolinx might just say #&$* it, anywhere in the Toronto downtown borders on the GO-RER system is TTC fare.

I doubt the latter however. I doubt Metrolinx will even offer TTC fares for any part of their lines at all really. Maybe an extra $2 or something if you are transferring to/from TTC, but for nothing? Ill believe it when I see it.

So for now, Smattrack is just an ideology that has been carried over to other GO lines downtown as well. Until fare integration is figured out, the rest is up in the air.

This is what happens when you incorporate two plans together. It becomes a homogeneous confusing political bubble.

Also see the Metrolinx Board Meeting for all new stations that have been selected for the 10-year timeframe:
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd.../20160628_BoardMtg_Appendix_2_Stations_EN.pdf

Excellent find

It looks like Spadina station will only be serviced by Barrie trains. I stand corrected that its a terminal station like Union.

This is a good idea, by alternating which lines stop at which stations, you increase the distance between stops, while still offering more station access downtown.

This is a good idea, by alternating which lines stop at which stations, you increase the distance between stops, while still offering more station access downtown.

That's really weird though because it basically reduces the utility of the stop itself to riders on other lines (in this case, LSW), especially considering Spadina can/will be a destination on its own right.

AoD

That's really weird though because it basically reduces the utility of the stop itself to riders on other lines (in this case, LSW), especially considering Spadina can/will be a destination on its own right.

AoD
Presumably this is the choice least likely to gum up the Union western approach

Its kind of gotten complicated due to the absorption of Smarttrack into GO RER.

It all depends how "Smarttrack" is implemented from a fare perspective.

They will all use the same trains, however, if "Smarttrack" means a free ride for TTC passengers, then it might only be offered on the originally planned "Smarttrack corridor" (Mount Dennis to Unilever). Or, Metrolinx might just say #&$* it, anywhere in the Toronto downtown borders on the GO-RER system is TTC fare.

I doubt the latter however. I doubt Metrolinx will even offer TTC fares for any part of their lines at all really. Maybe an extra $2 or something if you are transferring to/from TTC, but for nothing? Ill believe it when I see it.

So for now, Smattrack is just an ideology that has been carried over to other GO lines downtown as well. Until fare integration is figured out, the rest is up in the air.

This is what happens when you incorporate two plans together. It becomes a homogeneous confusing political bubble.

So if i'm understanding it correctly, what "smart track" has come down to is a few extra stations that we be funded by the city instead of the province.

Yikes, the $2.6 Billion dollars originally committed by the Harper Government (TM) for SmartTrack isn't "additional" money. It appears to be coming out of the Liberal's commitment for $xx Billion of nationwide infrastructure spending.

So if i'm understanding it correctly, what "smart track" has come down to is a few extra stations that we be funded by the city instead of the province.

yes, hopefully with federal funding help as well.

6 extra stations, and a hope for fare harmonization with TTC fares.

Oh, and the Eglinton West LRT extension to the airport. Another piece of infrastructure that was resurrected by the Smarttrack plan. This LRT plan is a resurrection of David Miller eras "Transit City".

Again, Smarttrack is a mandate and ideology for transit in toronto core by piggybacking on other plans.

How can we do more with what we already have planned, basically.

So SmartTrack will be its own service that runs from Mount Dennis to Union and then back again with SmartTrack painted on the trains.

Back