News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

At least the locations aren't bad - though I do hope that the new electric trains have good acceleration - it's going to be slow going otherwise.
One consideration I have noticed is that the new stations do not even need to be designed to serve traditional GO trains. They could even design the, strictly for EMUs in theory -- Just a two track station that is shorter than a 12-coach bilevel. It appears this is on the EMU route, and those trains have subway-like acceleration.

Bathurst Yard will become less critical when several routes gain all-day 2-way service, providing many opportunities to stop parking trains near Union midday between peaks, as they now have the flexibility to be assigned to simply run contra-peak service to their more-distant yards or other freed-up nearby yards (Mimico might even absorb Bathurst midday layover when Whitby opens).

Hopefully this is all the case. 1km station density is okay for the core downtown section of an EMU route, as long as expresses have a way of zooming past. If it is not an EMU route, I agree. But it certainly looks like the EMU route, from the RER Business Case.

Last edited:
The trains at Union won't stop at the Spadina station. Its a new terminal station. Like Garre Centrale and Lucien L'Allier with the AMT network in Montreal.

Trains from the west stop at Spadina station. Trains from the East stop at Union.

I assume Lakeshore and the GO RER/Smarttrack route, would stop at one or the other, and continue through.

Did they confirm this though? I understand that's what's been on the books since the Union Station capacity study, but there is no suggestion that certain lines will now terminate at the new station so far.

AoD

Did they confirm this though? I understand that's what's been on the books since the Union Station capacity study, but there is no suggestion that certain lines will now terminate at the new station so far.

AoD
That's absolutely BS for the west end. Why not terminate Eastern trains at the Unilever site instead? Ridership is much higher from the west.

That's absolutely BS for the west end. Why not terminate Eastern trains at the Unilever site instead? Ridership is much higher from the west.

The proposal to terminate the line at Spadina comes with some kind of DRL serving that station. Which is why I am asking if this scheme is confirmed because you can't simply drop everyone at Spadina and what, expect them to walk to the core?

AoD

The proposal to terminate the line at Spadina comes with some kind of DRL serving that station. Which is why I am asking if this scheme is confirmed because you can't simply drop everyone at Spadina and what, expect them to walk to the core?

AoD
I still don't understand why you would terminate the west trains (with ridership significantly higher than the east trains) at a satellite station outside the core, and have the least used lines go directly into Union.. Does that make sense to anyone?

I still don't understand why you would terminate the west trains (with ridership significantly higher than the east trains) at a satellite station outside the core, and have the least used lines go directly into Union.. Does that make sense to anyone?

As a planning exercise for the finite capacity of Union Station I think only *some* of the lines from the west is supposed to terminate at the new station. LSW remains at Union I think.

AoD

As a planning exercise for the finite capacity of Union Station I think only *some* of the lines from the west is supposed to terminate at the new station. LSW remains at Union I think.

AoD
Discouraging anyone from thinking of the lines as a network as opposed to separate lines to get you downtown Toronto....the casual user on the Barrie or KW line will not, then, be encouraged to use the train to get to places east or north east of the city if the connection involves somehow getting from Front and Spadina to the other station over there where the other train I would need is....will promote the "ah, may as well just drive" thought process.

AoD
We both know that's the dumbest reason to build a satellite station, especially given TOareaFan's post above...

You know how you solve Union's capacity issues? Build a bloody tunnel. It's not rocket science, it's been done everywhere else with a busy central station and it ensures all GO lines operate from the same building.

I am actually fairly agonstic about the notion of a second station - as long as there is seamless linkage with subways, people are likely going to use it. The specific mode in question (i.e. using Union as a through station) is probably rare enough to be a non-issue - and in future Unilever becomes a second CBD, DRL will handle that.

AoD

I am actually fairly agonstic about the notion of a second station - as long as there is seamless linkage with subways, people are likely going to use it. The specific mode in question (i.e. using Union as a through station) is probably rare enough to be a non-issue - and in future Unilever becomes a second CBD, DRL will handle that.

AoD
The whole point of GO RER is to turn it into a network vs. a peak period commuter service. If there's a few lines going there, and another few going 1km down the road, then you've failed in creating the right context for a network.

LOL! Front & Spadina? That's the last time I want to hear Mimico is too close to PL.
There's barely anything between Mimico and Parklawn, but tons between Spadina and Union. Suburban distances are totally different from downtown distances, and can't be compared.

Back