News   Apr 24, 2024
 371     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.7K     6 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 653     0 

Sidewalk plowing

When did the cities in Ontario start plowing their streets for the automobile? Used to be that the streetcar companies had to use their own streetcar plows to clear their tracks. Apparently there were disputes with businesses along streetcar routes from the snow windrows being plowed to the side. Of course, the streetcar plows were an expense for the streetcar companies, however, it ended up giving the automobiles access when followed behind the streetcar plows.

Nowadays, the bus companies don't pay for a snowplowing fee that the city does for them. The cities plow streets because the elite (who used to use the automobile as their plaything) demanded that the city do so.

Still the cities seem to not to do much for the pedestrian, especially those with accessibility problems. Snow windrows at corners intersections seem to be left for the sun and springtime to be taken care of. Use the streets is the usual solution, from the motorists. Pedestrians are not first class like the automobile.

enterprise-2.jpg
From link.

With today's snowfall (January 17, 2022), we'll see if the city will plow the sidewalks in a timely manner (72 hours?) or not. From link.

Sidewalk Plowing​

The City clears snow from sidewalks in most areas of the City, where it is physically possible to clear snow mechanically (i.e. using a small plow). Sidewalk plowing takes place when there is 2 cm of snow accumulation and the snow has stopped falling, or when icy conditions dictate. Sidewalks with high pedestrian volume (arterial roads, school zones, transit areas, and accessibility locations) will be cleared first. Sidewalk clearing after a snowfall takes approximately 13 hours to complete and, depending on the storm severity, may occur more than once. Sidewalk clearing can continue up to 72 hours after the snow has stopped falling.

Bus Stops and Transit Shelter Plowing​

Bus stops and transit shelters will generally be plowed within 48 hours after a snowstorm.

PlowTO Map see link.

yea, not sure what the expectation is there? leave the road unplowed until it melts?

Snow is messy. you can't just clean it up instantly in a perfect way. takes time, understanding, and a bit of leeway to get it fixed up.

I snow blowed my driveway and the sidewalks in front and at the side of my house as well as the fire hydrant.

a few stupid idiots on my street got their cars stuck at the end of the driveway. You see the snow bank at the end of your driveway, why not shovel it? Your little BMW isn't going to magically drive through it.

yea, not sure what the expectation is there? leave the road unplowed until it melts?

Snow is messy. you can't just clean it up instantly in a perfect way. takes time, understanding, and a bit of leeway to get it fixed up.
Before the automobile, that's exactly what they did. Plowing for the almighty automobile was because they used by the elite, so they had to plow the streets for the elite.

It's a drag out in Scarborough with our monolithic sidewalks. You shovel, the street plow comes and obliterates the sidewalks you just cleared. Then you shovel that again and the sidewalk plow comes down and makes another mess you have to dig out.

It's a drag out in Scarborough with our monolithic sidewalks. You shovel, the street plow comes and obliterates the sidewalks you just cleared. Then you shovel that again and the sidewalk plow comes down and makes another mess you have to dig out.
There should be snow removal operation happening at the same time. Plow, shovel, push, whatever, the snow windrows into dump trucks when plowing of BOTH roads and monolithic sidewalks. Make that to include the intersections so pedestrians don't have to rock climb the windrows at the corners.

Pedestrians are second class to the rich who don't want their precious motor vehicles be hindered in any way.

47633209.jpg
From link.

Before the automobile, that's exactly what they did. Plowing for the almighty automobile was because they used by the elite, so they had to plow the streets for the elite.
Your distain for the automobile (and the "elites", who are apparently the only ones who drive) is well documented on here. I imagine the growing online economy of goods delivered direct to homes, plus the emergency services, would do fine using transit, or perhaps skiis. This isn't the 1920s anymore.
There should be snow removal operation happening at the same time. Plow, shovel, push, whatever, the snow windrows into dump trucks when plowing of BOTH roads and monolithic sidewalks. Make that to include the intersections so pedestrians don't have to rock climb the windrows at the corners.

Pedestrians are second class to the rich who don't want their precious motor vehicles be hindered in any way.

47633209.jpg
From link.
No comment on the efficiency of Toronto snow removal services, but I highly doubt road plows, sidewalks plows, loaders and dump trucks can all work in concert and at the same speed.

Your distain for the automobile (and the "elites", who are apparently the only ones who drive) is well documented on here. I imagine the growing online economy of goods delivered direct to homes, plus the emergency services, would do fine using transit, or perhaps skiis. This isn't the 1920s anymore.

No comment on the efficiency of Toronto snow removal services, but I highly doubt road plows, sidewalks plows, loaders and dump trucks can all work in concert and at the same speed.

Until Toronto Fire and EMS start using bicycles, I fully support putting a priority on opening up main road access and leaving the bike lanes for the second pass..

The problem is where to put the snow. It's time for a better strategy that doesn't put the snow where it becomes an obstacle. (I doubt we will go back to dump trucks or the old snow melter truck.... didn't Toronto sell theirs to Buffalo once upon a time?)

Amongst all the complaints yesterday there were some valid examples of things that could be done better. I wonder if the folks running the show were in place last time it snowed this hard... we may be relearning old stuff. The number of transit vehicles that got stuck because the plows didn't deal with bus stops - or even left windrows through the bus bays and turn lanes.

I don't have an easy answer except to say that it's unreasonable to think that we can dig out of a blizzard like yesterday in a matter of hours. I would like to see a standard and metrics that does recognize the need to open sidewalks, bike lanes, and roads in parallel.

- Paul

Back