News   Jul 12, 2024
 362     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 432     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 255     0 

Shops at Don Mills (redevelopment, Giannone Petricone/Pellow + Associates )

Novae Res Urbis

earlier yesterday evening (prior to AG's CBC article above...):

PRECEDENT-SETTING PROPOSAL
Mixed use on Don Mills

October 2, 2009

A controversial settlement offer related to a mixed-use development proposed for the southern and western portions of the land hugging the newly-opened Shops at Don Mills was before council late in the day Thursday. Council went in camera to discuss confidential parts of the application and a decision was not made before NRU’s deadline.

Some councillors questioned the precedent that would be set in the Lawrence Avenue East and Don Mills Road area should the offer be accepted and the application approved.

City planning staff—some staff has worked on this file for nearly eight years now—recommended council reject the application for 1,387-residential units and 7,530-square feet of retail and office space.

The application was made by Cadillac Fairview Realty Holdings Limited in November 2001 and is not subject to new provisions of The Planning Act or the City of Toronto Act, though it has been revised over the years.

Staff said that the proposed buildings, at heights of 12 to 26 storeys, and the proposed built form do not respect the existing character in the surrounding neighbourhood. In the Central Don Mills Secondary Plan, the west parcel of the site has a height restriction of six storeys and the east side is eight storeys.

Staff are concerned with “overdevelopment†of the site and suggested that the footprint and heights of the buildings be reduced.

Most of the proposed residential units would be in new buildings while some would be in a converted existing 13-storey office building at 75 The Donway West with retail at ground level.

Cadillac Fairview recently offered to build a two-storey community centre next to a public park in the area. Currently, Don Mills Civitan arena is located on an adjacent city-owned property. Staff told council that the arena is due for about $1 million worth of repairs and it is estimated to cost about $5 million to replace as a single-pad arena or $7.5 million as a two-pad arena.

Since no decision was made on the application for official plan and zoning by-law amendments, Cadillac Fairview appealed to the OMB in 2007 and prehearings have been held over the last two years.

Staff told council that a seven-week hearing is scheduled for next April but another pre-hearing is set to begin on October 16.

So the city did not approve it ... hmm, not quite sure about this. I liked the idea.

They're taking it to the OMB now ?

Sounds about right. 26 storys dwarfs anything in the neighbourhood. I don't see why they can't just start somewhere around 15 stories and let future development slowly adjust to future density.

Probably, only sans community center this time...

Thanks to Denzil who pulled a Glen Beck and got all teary eyed while droning on about how he wants "his Don Mills back..." This sort of sickening, pandering, sycophantic, conservative drivel just cost Don Mills a new community center. And this child wants to run for Mayor...(?!)

Last edited:
Sounds about right. 26 storys dwarfs anything in the neighbourhood. I don't see why they can't just start somewhere around 15 stories and let future development slowly adjust to future density.

The 12 story Reflections At Don Mills already reflects that approach.

What does "his Don Mills Back..." even mean? :p

Not sure if this was regarding the original, asinine quote, or my cheeky response to it but...

Beck boosted his silly 9/12 Groups with thinly veiled, racist, rhetoric amounting to little more than 'they' are going to take it from 'us' (going hand in hand with his Obama is an anti-white, racist nonsense). At the meeting, Denzil lamented the fact that Don Mills was changing and though his comments had more to do with the built form and less to do with the racial composition of the neighborhood, I still found them equally effete.

At the meeting, Denzil lamented the fact that Don Mills was changing and though his comments had more to do with the built form and less to do with the racial composition of the neighborhood, I still found them equally effete.

Except that, would Denzil lift a finger re original Don Mills houses being replaced by McMansions?

The community voted for the development and council voted against. I never thought I would see the day when politicians are bigger NIMBYs than their constituents. Usually people against developments are the neighbours!!

The community voted for the development and council voted against. I never thought I would see the day when politicians are bigger NIMBYs than their constituents. Usually people against developments are the neighbours!!

It was rejected partially because of phasing issues where the density/towers was shifted around the site, leaving open the option of going back and placing an additional dozen or more 26 storey towers on all of the parking lots and stores...the community has probably accepted the revamped mall and the general redevelopment plan, but may not be fully aware of the phasing issues and consequences and perhaps see these proposed condos as part of a "work in progress, so why oppose what's in motion when we're getting a community centre?" or something to that effect. What might the community's response be in a few years if 8 more 26 storey towers are proposed for the parking lot along Don Mills?

If the Shops at Don Mills had been built beneath condos fitting Don Mills' character right off the bat as per the 2004 plan, the rest of the development would surely have sailed through Council. Perhaps some councillors think Cadillac Fairview is being a bit sneaky, and a few also seem to be retroactively punishing the project for leaving all those parking spaces along Don Mills.

This is Cadillac Fairview's fault.

I love the "in keeping with the neighborhood" BS...stand on Don Mills and look east...4 story rental walk-ups are certainly the wave of the future in a City trying to add a million people to its boundaries. This is one of the stupidest decisions I have heard. This site, the neighbourhood and the development (which I really like) is ripe for this scale and style of development.

Crazy...what a waste of time and money

Yeah, This nabe is all 4 storey walk-ups. There are ways of added millions of people without needing to build towering towers especially in places where higher order transit has been a 30+ year pipe dream.

I love the "in keeping with the neighborhood" BS...stand on Don Mills and look east...4 story rental walk-ups are certainly the wave of the future in a City trying to add a million people to its boundaries. This is one of the stupidest decisions I have heard. This site, the neighbourhood and the development (which I really like) is ripe for this scale and style of development.

Crazy...what a waste of time and money

Do you have any idea how many additional people could fit in Toronto if we built 4 storey rental walk-ups everywhere?

The Toronto Star - 12/29/2009 - VIT WAGNER

McNally Robinson Booksellers has closed its Don Mills store as part of a larger bankruptcy restructuring.

The independent, Winnipeg- based bookseller, which launched its Shops at Don Mills mall outlet in April, will also shutter one of its two Winnipeg outlets. A second Winnipeg store and another in Saskatoon will remain open.

A total of 175 jobs will be lost in the move, according to a company release, while 250 others will be spared.

The Don Mills outlet, measuring 20,000 square feet, included an 80-seat restaurant and, like other McNally Robinson locations, served a focal point for daily readings, book signings and other literary events.

"It is heartbreaking to see so many hardworking booksellers and restaurant staff lose their jobs," said Paul McNally, who co-founded the company in 1981. "We are very hopeful, however, that we can save many more jobs and renew the company."

A McNally Robinson location in Calgary closed in 2008 after six years in operation.

Back